Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
How do European countries, Australia, Canada and others have time to shop when their stores usually close at 6 pm, and even shorter on Saturdays?

Well, in those countries, their workers receive plenty of paid days off for vacation, sick, holidays, etc. and that's when they shop.

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work, and is traditional a day of rest. Federal and state government are all closed on Sundays, including banks (except some TD banks being open for few hours) and post offices. Office 9-5 jobs are closes on Sundays. So what's left? Only retail stores, which includes restaurants, grocery stores, few libraries, entertainment, and pharmacies. Hospitals, TV/radio are obviously open and should.

Sundays are not like any other days. Even places being open on Sundays have reduced hours, and is not a regular day for the most part.
None of this actually answered my question... you're only telling me what is, not what should/shouldn't be or why. And since these trends you mention here are based in religion (Sundays being deemed a "holy day"), it still isn't a secular reason for closing everything on Sundays. Try again.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-29-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
What's with the dramatic faces? You can't handle people having different opinions and priorities, can you? And yet you'll also whine about people not respecting your opinions... as I said, very inconsistent.

Quote:
Me the opposite, I am NOT doing any business at all with TD Bank because they are open on Sundays and for longer hours, including most holidays (Good thing is they are closed for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). I even called corporate and let them know that they are terrible and evil for being open on Sundays.
Haha... I bet they had fun with this one! I actually WISH you'd call my library and say the same, since I could really use a good laugh.

Did they change their hours as a result? No they did not, so I hope you realize these "calls to corporate" you're so fond of accomplish nothing. Well, aside from making you look ridiculous and tyrannical. And what if the bank heads aren't Christian? There is that old stereotype of Jewish bankers, and I have to say it's not that far from reality - especially considering this bank is mostly located in the NE and Florida, LOL. So I guess you think anyone non-Christian is evil, otherwise you'd butt out and let people worship (or not worship) as they choose.

Quote:
This is ridiculous as banks should NEVER be open on Sundays. I'm also against the banks and post offices being open on Saturdays too.

My cousins from Europe were surprised seeing banks open after 3 pm on weekdays and on Saturdays.
They were even surprised they were open the day before a holiday.
Take your shock to Europe, then. Our country is not run by religious law, and will not generally submit to bullying. If they want to be open on a Sunday, that is their right to do so... and if you don't like it, you have the right to take your business elsewhere. Ain't freedom grand?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
There are many pros and cons of every country. Life's short, enjoy it (OUTSIDE WORK!)
Yes, but you seem to hate the very things that define our nation... freedom, equality & diversity aren't just "pros or cons," they are the foundation of this country. The fact you dislike all of these things is very disheartening, and waaaaay more un-American than somebody thinking Christmas decorations shouldn't be displayed on public property.

Quote:
Btw when this nations turn into more liberal, we will soon work less and have more holidays
I thought liberals were the ones who didn't want more holidays? I'm so confused.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,577,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
None of this actually answered my question... you're only telling me what is, not what should/shouldn't be or why. And since these trends you mention here are based in religion (Sundays being deemed a "holy day"), it still isn't a secular reason for closing everything on Sundays. Try again.
How many times do I have to tell you the reasons why we need a day of rest, especially on a Sunday.

I repeat it:

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work. Government and State offices are closed on Sundays, Postal offices, Banks (Except many TD), office jobs, etc. are all closed. Sunday is traditionally a day of rest, whether for secular or religious reasons. Most European countries are closed on Sundays, yet most of them are not religious at all. Anyways even if we are a 'secular' nations, the majority are Christians and you should follow what the majority of the population consider a 'day of rest/worship'.

If it makes you so happy and concerned; let's close everything down on Saturday or Monday then.

BTW, when I mean "close down", I'm referring to retail stores. Pharmacies and food places should be open if they so want.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,144,733 times
Quote:
How many times do I have to tell you the reasons why we need a day of rest, especially on a Sunday.

I repeat it:

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work. Government and State offices are closed on Sundays, Postal offices, Banks (Except many TD), office jobs, etc. are all closed. Sunday is traditionally a day of rest, whether for secular or religious reasons. Most European countries are closed on Sundays, yet most of them are not religious at all. Anyways even if we are a 'secular' nations, the majority are Christians and you should follow what the majority of the population consider a 'day of rest/worship'.

If it makes you so happy and concerned; let's close everything down on Saturday or Monday then.

BTW, when I mean "close down", I'm referring to retail stores. Pharmacies and food places should be open if they so want.
Technically, Sunday is the FIRST day of the week, look at any calendar. The reason most passed on why christians go to church on sunday, was back when the Jews were being hunted and persecuted by the Romans, they didn't want to be confused as Jews, and went to prayer on the day following the Sabbath day.

Happy Holidays Nunnor.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,577,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Technically, Sunday is the FIRST day of the week, look at any calendar. The reason most passed on why christians go to church on sunday, was back when the Jews were being hunted and persecuted by the Romans, they didn't want to be confused as Jews, and went to prayer on the day following the Sabbath day.

Happy Holidays Nunnor.
According to the Judeo-Christian belief and calendar (Incl. U.S. calendar), Sunday is the first day of the week.
According to the International calendar, Sunday is the last day of the week, and part of the weekend.

U.S. calendars put Sunday as "First day of the week" for religious reasons, while other places like European countries put "Monday as first day of the week" for cultural reasons.

Monday as first day of the week makes more sense because it is the first day of the week going back to school and work (for majority of people).

Sunday is the day when most Christians worship, but they do not keep it strict Sabbath as many Conservative and Orthodox Jews do. Christians are allowed to shop and work on Sundays.

Taken from internet: Monday (i/ˈmʌndeɪ/ or /ˈmʌndi/) is the day of the week between Sunday and Tuesday. According to the Christian, Islamic and Hebrew calendars, it is the second day of the week. But according to international standard ISO 8601 it is the first day of the week

PS: International calendar is the Christian calendar created by Pope Gregory (Which is also called the Gregorian calendar)

Happy Holidays.... Still too early to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Nunnor; 11-29-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
There are many pros and cons of every country. Life's short, enjoy it (OUTSIDE WORK!)

Btw when this nations turn into more liberal, we will soon work less and have more holidays
As well it should be!!!

The Republicans want to turn back the country to the 19th century but in the 21st work hours SHOULD get shorter.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Xians should NOT be given any priviledge over any other faith or non-faith on any level of government.
The US Constitution doesn't say that. So, honestly....we don't really care what your opinion is....because it's just that---your opinion. You should try to be more tolerant.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,605,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The US Constitution doesn't say that. So, honestly....we don't really care what your opinion is....because it's just that---your opinion. You should try to be more tolerant.
Actually, it does. The days of Christian dominance and faith based laws are over.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Actually, it does. The days of Christian dominance and faith based laws are over.
Where? Can you quote me anything from the Constitution that says that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies