Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM

858 posts, read 708,080 times

Advertisements

Generals: Get real and cut Pentagon spending - CNN.com

From the article:
"Our nuclear weapons policy is based on Cold War conditions that no longer exist. The Pentagon is expected to spend more than $700 billion on nuclear weapons over the next 10 years, for little added security"

So 1st off, how can any country, Iran included, take us seriously when we tell them not to create nuclear weapons when we are continuing to create our own. I'd tell us to take a hike too.

2nd...why are we spending $700 billion dollars on nuclear weapons? Our current stock isn't enough? Shouldn't we cut this completely?

Why are cuts to defense spending so frowned upon? Obviously we are wasting money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM

753 posts, read 728,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post

From the article:
"Our nuclear weapons policy is based on Cold War conditions that no longer exist. The Pentagon is expected to spend more than $700 billion on nuclear weapons over the next 10 years, for little added security"

So 1st off, how can any country, Iran included, take us seriously when we tell them not to create nuclear weapons when we are continuing to create our own. I'd tell us to take a hike too.

2nd...why are we spending $700 billion dollars on nuclear weapons? Our current stock isn't enough? Shouldn't we cut this completely?

Why are cuts to defense spending so frowned upon? Obviously we are wasting money there.
I can't get your link to work, so I'm not sure precisely what that $70 billion/year is going to fund. From what I can see, the cost of simply deploying and maintaining existing nuclear weapons accounts for at least half of that total. Nukes aren't like a hammer, where you create it and toss it in a drawer until you need it. Those things take a lot of operators (including deployment systems, operators, training, etc.) and maintenance. There is constant testing, refurbishing, replacement of components, and so forth.

Then there's replenishment of the various radioactive material in nuclear weapons. Tritium, for example, is used in nuclear weapons, and has a half-life of only 12 years. So I would expect that it needs replacement on a fairly regular basis to get the proper "bang for the buck". And I imagine tritium production and processing is costly business.

This is not to say that I think we need the current arsenal that we possess. It is that simply maintaining it -- not increasing it -- is costly. And I suppose that considerable R&D goes into new designs intending to perform better and more reliably.

Last edited by Mictlantecuhtli; 12-12-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
That's a whole lot of phone service for the poor it could be spent on

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:

Why are cuts to defense spending so frowned upon?
Tis the season; Toys for buys,

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:

From the article:

It's all to prepare for the coming Obama dictatorship. In the new American order, the nation will be highly isolationist but will use it's nuclear capabilities to keep other nations from attacking. America will be a weak nation in so many ways but our big nuclear stick will compensate for it.

In addition, after the Agenda 21 cities are built and our population shipped to them, all our existing cities will be destroyed, my guess with nuclear weapons or some other extremely destructive weaponry that won't be as damaging to the environment.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
We spend a $trillion per year on military/defense. That's insane.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We spend a $trillion per year on military/defense. That's insane.
I suggest you knock off the Kool Aid....

A chart published Tuesday by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation compares U.S. defense spending in 2011 with the combined spending of the 13 countries with the next largest defense budgets, using data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. (Peter G. Peterson Foundation)

The U.S. defense budget: It's even bigger than Obama suggested - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM

753 posts, read 728,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I suggest you knock off the Kool Aid....

A chart published Tuesday by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation compares U.S. defense spending in 2011 with the combined spending of the 13 countries with the next largest defense budgets, using data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. (Peter G. Peterson Foundation)

The U.S. defense budget: It's even bigger than Obama suggested - Los Angeles Times
You should.

You only posted the DoD budget. Total U.S. defense spending currently exceedes $1 trillion annually.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM

35 posts, read 32,235 times
Total Spending $1.030–$1.415 trillion

Budget breakdown for 2012

Defense-related expenditure 2012 Budget request & Mandatory spending[22][23] Calculation[24][25]
DOD spending $707.5 billion Base budget + "Overseas Contingency Operations"
FBI counter-terrorism $2.9 billion At least one-third FBI budget.
International Affairs $5.6–$63.0 billion At minimum, foreign arms sales.
At most, entire State budget
Energy Department, defense-related $21.8 billion
Veterans Affairs $70.0 billion
Homeland Security $46.9 billion
NASA, satellites $3.5–$8.7 billion Between 20% and 50% of NASA's total budget
Veterans pensions $54.6 billion
Other defense-related mandatory spending $8.2 billion
Interest on debt incurred in past wars $109.1–$431.5 billion Between 23% and 91% of total interest
Total Spending $1.030–$1.415 trillion

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM

35 posts, read 32,235 times
Are we really crazy, I start to wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies