Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Did you do anything to earn a better wage? Do you handle your personal finance like a responsible person or did you spend tomorrows income on junk? Did you even try to start your own business so you too can be successful? Of course you didn't. Then you think your opinion matters lol
I try not to be baited into too much personal disclosure around here, but I have started two businesses (one successful and one failed), own three homes, and am as qualified as anyone to have an opinion.

Nice to see that attacking the messenger while ignoring the message isn't just for liberals anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I try not to be baited into too much personal disclosure around here, but I have started two businesses (one successful and one failed), own three homes, and am as qualified as anyone to have an opinion.

Nice to see that attacking the messenger while ignoring the message isn't just for liberals anymore.
Have you sent me your money yet, Mr. I-favor-redistribution-of-wealth?

If not, why not?

That WAS your exact message, was it not?

Now's your chance to redistribute.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Medicare isn't welfare. It's a government social insurance program to which one must have paid premiums to for at least a minimum length of time (10 years or 40 quarters) in order to be eligible to receive benefits.
It is a part of a general welfare program, run by the government. It was created upon realization that private enterprise is not going to care about anything but profits. An older person who disagrees with me, should instead be given a chance to participate in private health care system, NOW... as in a voucher system.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Have you sent me your money yet, Mr. I-favor-redistribution-of-wealth?

If not, why not?
No. Because you're an ass, that's why not.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It is a part of a general welfare program, run by the government. It was created upon realization that private enterprise is not going to care about anything but profits. An older person who disagrees with me, should instead be given a chance to participate in private health care system, NOW... as in a voucher system.
Medicare is not a "general welfare" program. It provides only to the poor and/or elderly.
"General welfare" refers only to programs that helped all people equally, as was well understood in the era when the Cosntitution was written and ratified.

The so-called "welfare clause" is, in fact, a RESTRICTION on the ways the govt can spend money: Spending on special interests, or on only selected parts of the population, is not authorized to the Fed, and so is forbidden.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No. Because you're an ass, that's why not.
As I expected, it didn't take you long to change your mind about favoring redistribution, once your own money was suggested for that redistribution.

Funny how many liberals turn out that way.

So tell me: Are you going to change the title of this thread that you started, to match what you just admitted was your REAL feeling about redistributing wealth (particularly your own)?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Sorry OP, there are far too many problems associated with the redistribution of wealth. The primary problem being that the spending does not keep pace in what the government brings in which eventually causes an everlasting increasing vortex of taxing and spending.

I'm fine with changing the distribution of wealth though. Labor should gain a greater share of the profits and more wealth should be put into the hands of workers. However I am totally against the government taking more and then doling out.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A parasite can eventually kill its host. An ever-increasing welfare-dependent class (growing exponentially because the government financially incentivizes this by providing more benefits the more children one who receives public assistance has) WILL eventually overtake the producers and destroy the economy.
When WP writes about redistribution and the poor, I take it he is resting his conclusions on the same conservative Catholic body of thought regarding social justice as I've heard him champion at other times.

When you describe the same people as parasites, what is the theoretical basis for your thinking on this issue? I have a pretty good idea who WP would cite as the sources of his opinions. Who - what thinkers, writers, philosophers - are the sources for your idea that the poor are parasites?

I dare you to say who you look to for your inspiration in this. Because it sounds awfully familiar, and awfully unpleasant.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Medicare is not a "general welfare" program. It provides only to the poor and/or elderly.
Medicare is a general welfare program. What do you expect if 50+ million people on Medicare were allowed to deal with private insurance companies tomorrow? Chances are, though, cemetery and tombstone business will thrive.

Quote:
"General welfare" refers only to programs that helped all people equally, as was well understood in the era when the Cosntitution was written and ratified.
The US Constitution was never intended to be an absolute document. Read the preamble. What does it say?

Quote:
The so-called "welfare clasue" is, in fact, a RESTRICTION on the ways the govt can spend money: Spending on special interests, or on only selected parts of the population, is not authorized to the Fed, and so is forbidden.
Direct me to this on the US Constitution so I don't have to rely on your words.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
As I expected, it didn't take you long to change your mind about favoring redistribution, once your own money was suggested for that redistribution.

Funny how many liberals turn out that way.

So tell me: Are you going to change the title of this thread that you started, to match what you just admitted was your REAL feeling about redistributing wealth (particularly your own)?
I do redistribute my own wealth, on a regular basis, to people in need.

But I try to avoid throwing it away. That means you can't have any.

No, I'm not changing the title. I'm in favor of redistributing wealth. I give my own money to help the poor and am happy to pay taxes to help the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies