Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's been in the news, just not major headline news.
And we had that month of BLS reports that showed 500,000 NEW part time jobs created.

So you have more employed but each one is working less hours. Business just reacted to the IRS ruling.
Even Walmart came out with changes based on the IRS ruling.

The government defining full time as 30 hours is a precedent.
Companies did what they had to in order to maintain their part time staffing...lower hours and hire on more.
Actually, Happy, I was being sarcastic. I believe we've had numerous threads about it right here on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

He pays his employees for their labor in the business. If he no longer runs the business, he longer requires their labor. That's it. There's no "punishment" involved.

And Mr. Hobby Lobby still enjoys his millions (my guess is he lives in a REAL big house) while his employees are jobless.

He gets to say, "My morals are paramount!". Which is his right. He owns the business. He can shut it all down tomorrow if he wants to. But the result of his decision directly affect employees who will no longer have a paycheck coming in.

Here's the corker: He's anti-abortion. Yet if he closes his business his decision will affect THOUSANDS of living, breathing humans who will no longer have a paying job. Their families will no longer have the benefit of that paycheck coming in to do things like pay rent, buy food, pay for cold medicine.

Do you think that's Christian? He's basically choosing the un-born over the people who are already here. As is illustrated over and over again on this board the anti-abortion people hold that idea dear to their hearts. The "unborn"must be protected. The "already here": tough luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
. He can shut it all down tomorrow if he wants to.
He can close it in 2 months if he issues WARN notices, but he'd be an idiot.

All his bank covenents would be violated; all HL's assets would be seized, and he'd have a real small house pretty soon.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
He can close it in 2 months if he issues WARN notices, but he'd be an idiot.

All his bank covenents would be violated; all HL's assets would be seized, and he'd have a real small house pretty soon.

He could have done one better.
Switch all employees but managers to part time, under 30 hours and drop insurance for all but full time workers. Let the part timers get Obamacare which would guarantee them their free contraceptive pills.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
He could have done one better.
Switch all employees but managers to part time, under 30 hours and drop insurance for all but full time workers. Let the part timers get Obamacare which would guarantee them their free contraceptive pills.
The vast majority at HL have always been part-time.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The vast majority at HL have always been part-time.
part time under 40 hours. But the IRS defined full time as 30 hours now so those working 30-39 all become "full time workers" as of 1/1/2013 regardless of what any company says or they get their hours cut to 29 and remain part time.

That's a lose-lose for the workers.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
part time under 40 hours. But the IRS defined full time as 30 hours now so those working 30-39 all become "full time workers" as of 1/1/2013 regardless of what any company says.
Ever been in a HL? There are not a ton of payroll hours to be had. They are open standard retail hours, just 6 days, with few employees per shift. In all liklihood, like most retail 20-24 hours is the norm, per week.

In most retail ops, with 13k employees, under 10% would be affected, by even a radical owner.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Ever been in a HL? There are not a ton of payroll hours to be had. They are open standard retail hours, just 6 days, with few employees per shift. In all liklihood, like most retail 20-24 hours is the norm, per week.

In most retail ops, with 13k employees, under 10% would be affected, by even a radical owner.
Yeah, I go there all the time. But I don't ask them their work hours.
Where are you getting your stats from that they only work 20-24 hours per week ?

National average is 28-35 before the IRS ruling came out.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I go there all the time. But I don't ask them their work hours.
Where are you getting your stats from that they only work 20-24 hours per week ?

National average is 28-35 before the IRS ruling came out.
National average includes using 40 as the basis for exempt employees which raises the average, and in retail, the floor staff overwhelm the professionals at corp, so retails average is far lower than the national average-which is usually 33 or so.

Retailers for the most part define f/t at 30-32 hours anyway, and have for years. Wal Greens insures at 31 hour average at least the last decade, grocers most often at about 30 also for decades.

Except for WG and Wal Mart (which offers insurance to p/t who have worked cumulatively enough hours), most deliberately schedule employees part-time and have since the late 70s, when I worked for 7 months in retail. The 2 employers I worked at chose 32 and 30 hours, respectfully as the f/t minimum. 90% of staff were scheduled one shift shy of f/t, with 24-27 being dominant. As a teen on my parents' coverage, I just wanted some tuition money for college.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And Mr. Hobby Lobby still enjoys his millions (my guess is he lives in a REAL big house) while his employees are jobless.

He gets to say, "My morals are paramount!". Which is his right. He owns the business. He can shut it all down tomorrow if he wants to. But the result of his decision directly affect employees who will no longer have a paycheck coming in.

Here's the corker: He's anti-abortion. Yet if he closes his business his decision will affect THOUSANDS of living, breathing humans who will no longer have a paying job. Their families will no longer have the benefit of that paycheck coming in to do things like pay rent, buy food, pay for cold medicine.

Do you think that's Christian? He's basically choosing the un-born over the people who are already here. As is illustrated over and over again on this board the anti-abortion people hold that idea dear to their hearts. The "unborn"must be protected. The "already here": tough luck.
Good luck getting an response from the HL supporters on this point. They prove time and again that they'll fall on a sword over the principle of denying birth control coverage, but seemingly could care less about the health and welfare of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies