Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The difference between the 50s and the 90s has alot to do with illusion. Illusion comes from not having someone say anything. Because "the other" didn't have a say, everything was basically kept silent. People today say that we live in a more divided society than ever. People say we have more degenerates than ever.

I say this. WHEN HAVE WE NOT BEEN DIVIDED? WHEN HAVE WE NEVER HAD DEGENERATES? The difference between then and now is this. The "others" didn't have a say. If you were Black, Asian, female, Hispanic,etc , you didn't have a say. Any problems that you had, you kept them to yourself because you were considered "inferior" and you were expected to "know their place".

People complain about degenerates in our society. They have always been there. However, in the 50s, degenerates were shoved to the shadows. If you were considered a degenerate, no one wanted you around. There was no one to promote you. There were gangs in the inner cities in the 1950s. However, if you lived in the suburbs, you didn't think about this. You weren't there.

Basically, silence was the difference between 1950 and now. Today, everything is "in your face". The problems that have always existed in society were brought to the forefront, were put in everyone's face. People had to acknowledge these problems. No one had to acknowledge the dismal treatment of women until women started speaking out in larger numbers. No one had to acknowledge that African-Americans were being treated like crap until Dr. King and his protesters were being physically attacked by police officers and attack dogs. No one had to care, until it was on television.

<stands on box clapping> Bravo!!!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
<stands on box clapping> Bravo!!!!!
Thank you. My point was to show the 50s in realistic terms, that it isn't the idyllic time that many people want to look at it as.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Thank you. My point was to show the 50s in realistic terms, that it isn't the idyllic time that many people want to look at it as.
Oh yeah, do any of you remember an handicap people in any of those shows? I thought that was interesting considering polio and TB was pretty rampant at that time compared to today

Old 11-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, do any of you remember an handicap people in any of those shows? I thought that was interesting considering polio and TB was pretty rampant at that time compared to today
I don't remember any disabled persons. You bring up alot of interesting things. I know the 50s weren't the greatest time that everything wanted to think it was. However, I never considered the poliomyelitis thing. I never considered TB either.

I'm not surprised that the disabled were not portrayed. For some people, in an ideal world, the handicapped didn't exist.

I have an analogy for the 50s. It is like having a clean bedroom, but everyone no one wants to see is in the closet.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
So much for the reality of the family values of the 50's
Actually, the cast of Leave it to Beaver fared much better in general.

Hugh Beaumont was a methodist minister and had a second career as a Christmas tree farmer. He had a stroke in 1972 and died in 1982 of a heart attack. He married and raised two sons, but was divorced in 1974.

Barbara Billingsley died at 94

Tony Dow (Wally) has a second career as a sculptor. He is happily married. He has one son from his first marriage and is a grandfather.

Jerry Mathers (the Beav) had some health problems including type II diabetes, but he seems to be healthy and to have it under control. He also has psoriasis and has been involved in charity work for that condition. He wrote an autobiography called "And Jerry Mathers as the Beaver." He is divorced and has one son and two daughters. Interestingly, he was a very normal kid and actually got his part on the show because he didn't really want to be an actor, but wanted to go to his cub scout meeting.

Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell) worked as a policeman with the LAPD because acting work was hard for him to come by due to typecasting. He was wounded and retired from the force in 1980 and returned to acting. He is married and has two sons.

Frank Bank who played Lumpy became a highly successful municipal bonds broker in Palm Springs, California.
He is divorced and has four daughters and two grandchildren.

OTOH, Richard Deacon who played Lumpy's father (and lots of other rolls including being on the Dick Van Dyke show) was gay. He never hid his orientation, but most people probably would not have guessed because of the kinds of rolls he was cast in.

Richard Deacon, TV actor.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Apparently you're the one that know nothing about history.

Drugs and guns have always been part of our society.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only difference is more ppl, more guns, more ppl carrying guns, and a 24/7/365 media covering it today. (from 1992 to 1996 gun violence in America went down 20% but news coverage of gun violence went up 765%.
If you think there were as many guns and drugs in school in the '50s than there are today, you are definitely the one who knows nothing about history.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If you think there were as many guns and drugs in school in the '50s than there are today, you are definitely the one who knows nothing about history.
He only said guns and drugs have been part of our society for a long time. He never said that there were less guns and drugs in school. He said there was a drop in gun violence over all from 1992-1996. However, the difference is that school shootings are covered more because so many have occurred at schools, a phenomenon rarely seen before.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
I agree, Brown v. Board of Education is a disgrace.

When you force people to integrate, it causes tension and hostility. When you let people integrate in a natural manner, tension and hostility is not an issue as the various parties are agreeing to said integration.

To each his own. Different strokes for different folks. Not in America....Big Brother will make sure you do, act, and say what THEY determine is acceptable.
Actually, you have it wrong. Brown V. Board of education was about FORCED SEGREGATION. Linda Brown lived closer to the neighborhood elementary school than the school she actually attended. Why? Because the school she lived the closest to was Whites only. She had to walk far away to go to school. This was forced segregation. If you are against forced integration, then you have to be against forced segregation as well.

Brown v. Board of Education was never a disgrace. This was about Black people having a say in what they wanted. For the majority of this nation's history, Black Americans have never had a say. What kind of country is it where you can go, fight for freedom abroad, and then you come home and you can't even vote? What kind of country is it where you can go and get shot and die for your country, and then go home and you can't even get buried in your home town? What kind of nation is it where you don't really have a say in your life? A dictatorship. America for most of its history was not good to Black Americans.

Please explain this. Being Black American myself, and knowing that this is the most amount of freedom Black Americans have ever had, why should I be afraid of Big Brother? 1950s America was worse for Blacks.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There were more cigarette smoking and the reason that there were not that many shootings was because the NRA was not formed and the gun manufacteurs did not produce as many guns. There were more knife fights and kids being beaten with bats and clubs at that time.

Last edited by simetime; 11-23-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Do I?

That's interesting, I'm happily married with a child. I don't see how I "refute" the nuclear family.

But it is normal for people to have struggles and go through stuff. Or to be gay, or to deal with alcoholism, or to deal with abusive spouses (of both genders) or to get pregnant by accident, or to have kids with special needs
Then why was the description of the Cleavers as normal people questioned on your part? They obviously were not, and are not, politically correct enough for you because no one portrayed in the television show has any of the problems and psychological abnormalities that you listed which to you is normal and apparently considered the “correct” portrayal. I do not agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies