Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Liberals hate the backward, barbaric 1950s and everything that came out of them. Sad being that it was one of the greatest times to be an American for MOST people, especially in the Northern states. Yes, you had to keep your sodomy between you and your partner but it was a time when the American Dream was still achievable and people could be anything they wanted to. I don't think we will ever have those days back thanks to liberals.
Are liberals the one who exported all of our jobs? Are liberals the ones who destroyed the unions that ensured so many working men the ability to support a family on one income? Are liberals responsible for raising the price of college far beyond a middle-income family's ability to afford it? Are liberals responsible for destroying the post-war "tax the rich" consensus that coincided with our greatest period of national prosperity?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Liberals hate the backward, barbaric 1950s and everything that came out of them. Sad being that it was one of the greatest times to be an American for MOST people...
Well, if it's good for MOST people...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Liberals hate the backward, barbaric 1950s ...when the American Dream was still achievable and people could be anything they wanted to. I don't think we will ever have those days back thanks to liberals.
Yes, thanks to liberals we now have civil rights legislation so that opportunity isn't limited to those lucky enough to be born with white skin and a penis...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well so far so good with my kids too. They are still married and raising happy, healthy children. TV is showing the underbelly of society for entertainment now. Sad, sad, sad.
Television is responding to market demand (something that people who so routinely fling the epithet "Marxist!" about should understand) rather than trying to teach moral lessons. People are interested in the classic western narrative of conflict.

There's a reason Mark Twain is more popular than Chick tracts, after all.

Nothing like the self-appointed champions of liberty complaining that entertainment is now market-oriented and doesn't condescendingly try to teach trite and unrealistic moral lessons.

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And from Billy Grahm aka Bud

In a 1983 interview, Billy Gray (who played "Bud") spoke disparagingly of Father Knows Best:

"I wish there was some way I could tell the kids not to believe it. The dialogue, the situations, the characters * they were all totally false. The show did everyone a disservice. The girls were always trained to use their feminine wiles, to pretend to be helpless to attract men. The show contributed to a lot of the problems between men and women that we see today. . . . I think we were all well motivated, but what we did was run a hoax. 'Father Knows Best' purported to be a reasonable facsimile of life. And the bad thing is, the model is so deceitful. It usually revolved around not wanting to tell the truth, either out of embarrassment, or not wanting to hurt someone. If I could say anything to make up for all the years I lent myself to (that), it would be, 'You Know Best.'"[3]
Of course it was a fake reality, MAD MEN is a better indicator of life in the 1950's... Too many ppl are stuck in their Mitch Miller/Lawrence Welk fantasyland.

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Are liberals the one who exported all of our jobs? Are liberals the ones who destroyed the unions that ensured so many working men the ability to support a family on one income? Are liberals responsible for raising the price of college far beyond a middle-income family's ability to afford it? Are liberals responsible for destroying the post-war "tax the rich" consensus that coincided with our greatest period of national prosperity?
No.. You don't understand... It's not about those things...

Because you liberals we now can see boys kissing... on television. That's what's ruining society.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Liberals hate the backward, barbaric 1950s and everything that came out of them. Sad being that it was one of the greatest times to be an American for MOST people, especially in the Northern states. Yes, you had to keep your sodomy between you and your partner but it was a time when the American Dream was still achievable and people could be anything they wanted to. I don't think we will ever have those days back thanks to liberals.

Exactly right.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly right.
So you'd have no problem bringing 1950s unions and tax rates back.

Excellent.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.
Whose religious freedom? Whose God? I'm just curious why some mourn the loss of things such as this yet bemoan other people's desire for the same freedoms.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Janelle,

I've suggested this book to many people on this forum: The Way We Never Were: American Families And The Nostalgia Trap: Stephanie Coontz: 9780465090976: Amazon.com: Books

An excellent study of how mythologized the 1950s continue to be. It contrasts the fantasy with the facts of the 50s. Worth a read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies