Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The 1950s was also a time when many actions were decided based on "What would the neighbors think?" Conformity was considered important. I suspect most today would consider that type of environment very stifling.
You have Home Owners Associations today was well trying to push conformity as well.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
The 1950s was also a time when many actions were decided based on "What would the neighbors think?" Conformity was considered important. I suspect most today would consider that type of environment very stifling.
My relatives were not like; concerned about what the neighbors would think. Of course, they didn't do weird things!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My relatives were not like; concerned about what the neighbors would think. Of course, they didn't do weird things!
Well, back then even wearing white after Labor Day would have been deemed weird and would have gotten the neighbors' tongues wagging!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Well, back then even wearing white after Labor Day would have been deemed weird and would have gotten the neighbors' tongues wagging!
Glad I live in this era instead of back in the 50s. I have a pair of White pants and a White sweater vest. I wore both in the earlier part of this month, and will probably wear it again in the coming week.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM

It can be concluded that the 1950s was good for some people, and bad for others.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Unfortunately for some blacks, anything about the past in this country is translated as an "attack" towards them. For some, the mere mention of the 1950s conjures up the worst of it even if they never experienced it, which is quite perplexing. I, myself think the manufactured "anger" of today's youth, is a byproduct of academia. But sure, depending on where you lived as someone black, I'm sure it was terrible, but for others, life wasn't a day to day onslaught of racial terror--hence the contrast in attitudes about the past. The group who actually lived it understood that there were good and bad things about their upbringing, while those who never experienced it only know of the bad based on what they've read.
This is the downplaying of the past and how it continues to effect today that burns me up. You can't treat a whole race of people like less than human for hundreds of years and not expect that to influence generations of today. Any reasonable person will understand the cultural and societal memory that influences the black race to this day - to black babies born today 11/24/12 and in the future.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? Maybe in some areas of the south, but not where I come from, in fact this did not happen in most of the country.We as white folks were not woried about what the average black guy was or wasn't doing, we were busy raising families and working.
Perhaps you should have been worried about it. Could have prevented Jim Crow laws, race riots, etc.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
This gets more to a larger point: The loss of community. There was a book written in the 90s called "Bowling Alone" that dealt with this. Many of us, including me, are particularly guilty of this as we peck away at our keyboards, spending hours on the internet. That has undoubtedly changed over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I feel badly for my children that have never built a tree house, built a go cart from scrap or just spent all day playing jump rope or freeze tag.

I'm guilty as a parent in the way I have tried to provide so much more materialistically and moving into upscale neighborhoods where people tend not to speak.

Many of my neighbors would look at me like I was crazy if I suggested a night of spades and bid whist, bring the kids and let them run around and bar b q in the back yard.

One thing about growing up poor, we didn't live for appearances and trying to impress the Jones.
As Finster said, I do think a backlash is forming against this. I am guilty of wiling away hours at the keyboard when I can do more productive, community oriented things. I do a lot in the community but I could do more and I constantly remind myself of that.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Love of God and country does not have to wait for the 4th to be expressed. It can be expressed everyday, especially at Christmas.

Secularism stinks. No love of tradition or holidays.
What is your problem? Exactly how are you being prevented from loving your God and/or country? Or from celebrating Christmas or any other holiday? Why is it so important to you that everyone think and act like you do??

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Pretty much. TV of the time was someone's idealized imaginings of the perfect family, all clustered around Father, who Knew Best. I also know (and knew) many people who were teens or adults during that time, and they freely admitted that those shows were completely unrealistic.
I was 9 years old in 1954. The shows of the 50s were idealistic fantasies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies