Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 AM

24,491 posts, read 33,218,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, we were too busy with polio.
There wasn't crack cocaine back then, either. Or PCP (angel dust).

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,740,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
There is nothing - NOTHING - that anyone could offer me that would entice me to return to the 50s. I loved growing up in the 50s, but I was a child then and was ignorant. I am an adult now (an old one, at that) and am acutely aware of the inequities that existed for everyone except white males during the halcyon 50s. Inequities that no one acknowledged, much less attempted to fix. Add to that the primitive technology and yet to be discovered medical treatments for many diseases, and it makes me scratch my head in wonder at anyone who longs for the "good ol' days."
I don't think people want to re-live everything from the 50's, only the family values that existed at the time, oh, and no rap music!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 AM

24,491 posts, read 33,218,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
When I was growing up, an elderly neighbor talked about working as a young home economist in a rural area of Canada in the 1930s. When she got married, she was forced to quit her job. The thinking of the time was that she had a husband to support her so the job should go to someone who wasn't married.

By the way, her husband-to-be worked in a bank. He had to get his bank manager's permission to get married.
My mother was working; before and after she was married. And she didn't need "permission" from her manager.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was raised in Pittsburgh as well 74-2004 and I do remember happy times, but I also can recall the things that my grandmother and parents had to endure as well. I do also remember the racial riots at Brashear high school in the early 80's, which suprising enough also involved your old neighborhood, Hazelwood
I was not raised in Hazelwood, I grew up in Penn Hills, about 12 miles east of the Burgh.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I do know of one difference about then and now. My aunt worked at an airplane plant in the photography department. She was not paid as much as the men who worked with her. This was just when feminism was coming of age. I asked her why she didn't mind being paid less than the men, it wasn't right. She thought I was crazy. She said those men have families to support, she was single.

If you grew up in the era that put families first and the bread winner first it would never occur to you that it was unfair if the man of the household was paid better. I know it's a quaint way of thinking now but it had to do with the good of society is all I know.

I tried to make her see how "unfair" it was but she was almost insulted with the idea.
Women of that era rocked.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, answer this. How many sitcoms in the 1950s featured Black people outside of the images of Amos and Andy and The Little Rascals?

There were very few, if any, portrayals of Black people outside of stereotypes. No Bill Cosby in this era.
Well, the country was about 90% whie, what would you expect in a majority ruled country, "When in Rome do as the Romans do".

Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't think people want to re-live everything from the 50's, only the family values that existed at the time, oh, and no rap music!
That alone would make it worth going back to the stone ages,

Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,549 times
I did not live any life in the 50s myself but I lived some life in the 60s and there was good and bad. Having grown up in Chicago, I remember when you could ride the train downtown, even at night, and it was safe. You could go to the beach and it was safe. But I also remember the nasty racism and riots in the 1960s and knowing lots of families where the father ditched the family including my own.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,227,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting. And think about all the old TV shows about single (widowed, of course) fathers: My Three Sons, Bonanza, etc.
Were there any shows about single mothers?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,227,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I do know of one difference about then and now. My aunt worked at an airplane plant in the photography department. She was not paid as much as the men who worked with her. This was just when feminism was coming of age. I asked her why she didn't mind being paid less than the men, it wasn't right. She thought I was crazy. She said those men have families to support, she was single.

If you grew up in the era that put families first and the bread winner first it would never occur to you that it was unfair if the man of the household was paid better. I know it's a quaint way of thinking now but it had to do with the good of society is all I know.

I tried to make her see how "unfair" it was but she was almost insulted with the idea.
Lots of people who disenfranchised will identify/support those who hold them down. How is paying women less than men good for society? Obviously, your aunt was a product of her era. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies