Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,620,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The difference today is, the gubberment pays for and encourages them to have more, women were more careful back in the day, because if family didn't take care of them, no one else would. As a result, there were a lot less teen pregnancy's because women were held responsible for their actions. Not so much today, the more you have, the more money/food stamps you get. Not to mention there was no birth control pill. I think I liked it better when men/women were expected to be responsible and not pump out unwanted children for money.
Were you unable to comprehend that teen pregnancies were higher back then?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM

72,865 posts, read 62,340,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The point is, there was wide spread spousal abuse and to a large extent it was the way of life back then. Wives were subject to a lot back and these "the 1950's were the best of times" forget that for some "they were the worst of times". Blacks, minorities, gays, most women didn't fare so well.

In the early 1960's, I was maybe 10, I was beaten by my drunken father one nite and it felt like he had broken my jaw. I left the house and walked 12 miles to the nearest hospital. I explained what happen and they examined me and treated me while others called the police and my parents. The police talked with me, then my dad and then me again. Then the police did something strange, they sent my dad into the room alone so he could demand that I change my story. I had to say it was an accident and that I had been hit with a ball playing catch. My dad only has a thumb and half a finger on his throwing hand and has never played catch with anyone. After he pressured me the hospital staff and the police returned to the room and my day told his lie and I agreed with him. That immediately became the official story and the police left. I wonder how many wives faced the same sort of treatment from officials when they dealt with their own personal help.
That has to be scary. All kinds of abuse, and those who were the victims of that abuse had no way out of it. I'm sorry about what happened to you. I'm not surprised if this happened to alot of women in those days.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The difference today is, the gubberment pays for and encourages them to have more, women were more careful back in the day, because if family didn't take care of them, no one else would. As a result, there were a lot less teen pregnancy's because women were held responsible for their actions. Not so much today, the more you have, the more money/food stamps you get. Not to mention there was no birth control pill. I think I liked it better when men/women were expected to be responsible and not pump out unwanted children for money.
Didn't I just get done saying that teen pregnancy rates were at their highest in the 1950s? In fact, there is proof of this mentioned on this thread.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Women have more resources now than then, in the 50's, there wasn't many places for women to go.
In addition to other stuff I mentioned. Women today are encouraged not to take any abuse. If a woman is being beaten, she has a way out.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,620,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Didn't I just get done saying that teen pregnancy rates were at their highest in the 1950s? In fact, there is proof of this mentioned on this thread.
And, just to be clear, those teens were NOT boomers. In 1956 the oldest boomers would have been ten years old.

I say this because someone else posted that there were more teens then (due to the baby boom) than there are now. That is untrue.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,191,618 times
Quote:
It is an establish FACT that the was nearly three time the amount of KNOWN teen pregnancies in the 1950's, something like 96 per 1000 teens in 1950 vs 34 per 1000 in 2007 I think.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
And, just to be clear, those teens were NOT boomers. In 1956 the oldest boomers would have been ten years old.

I say this because someone else posted that there were more teens then (due to the baby boom) than there are now. That is untrue.
If anything, there would have been more teenagers during the early 1960s(the oldest ones) until 1981(the youngest). The teenagers who were having children in the 1950s would have most likely been born at the latest part of the Great Depression/early part of WWII.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

7,667 posts, read 5,473,352 times
Regarding teen marriages in the 1950s, I'd just like to point out that back then it was much easier, for males at least, to get a good job with a bright future with a high school diploma than it is today with a college degree. That might be one reason for the earlier marriages.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM

7,667 posts, read 5,473,352 times
Also regarding "Father Knows Best" not being realistic, has anyone ever watched Mickey Rooney's Andy Hardy movies of the 1930s? They are scarcely realistic of typical family life in the depression years!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,204,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As with other things in life, I find the premise that people don't believe in God because it's "cool" to be utterly ridiculous and intellectually lazy. I bet many atheists did attend church in the 50s only to keep up appearances - which I find very sad. No one should be forced into sitting in a house of worship just to be accepted in their community. Why would you want someone who truly doesn't believe sitting there in your house of worship? What is the point?
I would say that I didn't really believe the stuff said in church from sometime near the end of elementary school to when I just quit going. I even questioned things to the minester. I just didn't know others felt the leaning I did for nature and natural energies, and went because parents did.

I think a LOT of people did. Now, with the great dicotomy between the more traditional religions and the zelots people don't feel they have to. If they believe in something else, its all right to be public about it. If they believe in no religion its also all right.

I think the only people who are outraged are the believers who don't like that people can be honest now, instead of being 'correct'. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies