Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yes and no.

Tax cuts mean less income for the state that should have been balanced by reduced spending. That's not what happened.

The wars should have been balanced by tax increases. That's not what happened.
The G.W. Bush across-the-board tax cuts were passed in 2001 and 2003. From 2004 to 2007, government revenue increased by $785 billion, the largest 4-year increase in history.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Because the laws changed and government no longer restricts it like in the past.
All the more reason for people seeking an "easy and quick" divorce. I wonder how many divorces would have been avoided had the couples tired harder to work at their marriage?

See my previous post.

Quote:
The 50s was a great decade for America. Mostly because the rest of the industrialized world was digging out of the rubble of WWII and we had little competition.
Agreed. That is probably why, when I ask those who lived through it, practically everyone says it was their favorite decade. A perfect decade, no, of course not. But what decade was?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My mom was working during much of the 1940s and 1950s. All of my 7 aunts also worked at one time or another. (They stopped working after they had children, but they had an easy time finding jobs and it was more common than many think.) Even my grandmother worked! During WWII, who do you think was working at the factories and other places while many of working age men were out of the country fighting that war? Women!

Even today, many women stay in a bad marriage. Many times due to fear. It's not like that problem has vanished.
Yes, women worked, but the standard was that women marry. They might work, but they 'helped' the husband. The idea that like my great grandmother they would have opened a business and supported themselves, while husband did his thing and 'traveled', wasn't in vogue. Men came home from war wanting to go back to normal life and wanted stability and to feel they were filling their role. My mother could have been an animator for Hanna barbarra, but Dad said no and for reasons known to her she wasn't. My great grandmother would have had a bit to say about that.

The fifties were a unique time where roles were as highly defined as they'd been a few generations before, and women worked but were still defined as wives over anything else.

Of course in the 40's they worked. That was an entierly different situation. Probably most wanted to go home and resume life as it had been, but some have found they liked being productive and did not want to quit, but were fired just the same for the partiotic reason of giving a *man* a job. That was the real mantra of the fifties. Men mattered more than women did.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The G.W. Bush across-the-board tax cuts were passed in 2001 and 2003. From 2004 to 2007, government revenue increased by $785 billion, the largest 4-year increase in history.

Revenue increased because the housing bubble/ speculative trading was approaching its peak. Jobs , higher incomes and capital gains created the revenue increases experienced during that time. And still, Federal debt increased 3trillion. And we all know how that turned out.

Then Bush tried the rebate stimlulous ,hoping to head off a recession. That did not work out too well, either.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Revenue increased because the housing bubble/ speculative trading was approaching its peak. Jobs , higher incomes and capital gains created the revenue increases experienced during that time. And still, Federal debt increased 3trillion. And we all know how that turned out.

Then Bush tried the rebate stimlulous ,hoping to head off a recession. That did not work out too well, either.
The federal debt increase by $3 trillion because of overspending, not because of tax cuts.

If you think the revenue increased because of the housing bubble/speculative trading, why, when John F.Kennedy cut tax rates in 1961, tax revenues increased by 62% over 7 years?

And why, when Reagan also cut tax rates, government revenue almost doubled in 8 years?

Was it the "housing bubble/speculative trading, too? Nope.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As with other things in life, I find the premise that people don't believe in God because it's "cool" to be utterly ridiculous and intellectually lazy. I bet many atheists did attend church in the 50s only to keep up appearances - which I find very sad. No one should be forced into sitting in a house of worship just to be accepted in their community. Why would you want someone who truly doesn't believe sitting there in your house of worship? What is the point?
Many did not go, I know this in my own family. I am not saying they were atheist but they just did not want to take the time or go the extra mile.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Leave it to Beaver and Father knows best didn't exist in reality.

Give me the honeymooners and the three stooges, TV to last the ages.

- Didn't exsist in reality is right.

Bud was a drug addict. Guess you didn't see that show.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They are on Nickelodeon. Some parents only watch that channel anymore so their kids don't have to watch trash.
As the years go by though, even Nick is starting to air shows from the 90s which are full of sexual inneundo and what not.

I got rid of my cable months ago. Tv today is 99% crap. God or faith is discouraged yet sexuality, toilet humor, etc is promoted. Can't even watch a football game without seeing some commercial with questionable content.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many did not go, I know this in my own family. I am not saying they were atheist but they just did not want to take the time or go the extra mile.
But you've not so subtly hinted that it was the NORM to go to church in that era and that was what I was addressing. Stop moving the goal posts.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But you've not so subtly hinted that it was the NORM to go to church in that era and that was what I was addressing. Stop moving the goal posts.
The majority went, I guess you did not get that. The minority did not go for the reasons I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies