Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All minority groups - women, African Americans, Latino Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, LGBT - are now HEAVILY Democrat. Given that the percentage of minorities will only increase from here on out, is it basically over for the Republican Party in America?

BTW, I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. I'm wondering if I should even bother to vote anymore.
The Republican Party is at a fork in the road; they can continue to ride the Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Michelle Bachman crazy train or as Bobby Jindal has lamented "Stop Being The Stupid Party".

The problem that the Republicans have is what they have done has worked for so long and they still have widespread support; remember over 59 million people voted for Mitt Romney and he got 48% of the vote. So for many of them it's hard to see the need to change. In fact people like Glenn Beck think they need to "Double Down".

The real question is; are there enough moderate Republicans to point the party in a new direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The GOP is nowhere near dead... yet.
Exactly, there are parts of the country where the party is still strong. The problem is most of the population doesn't live there. They will do fine in local, congressional and statewide elections in those areas. But they are going to have increasing difficulty winning presidential elections as long as the current party platform is in place.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM

27,644 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Exactly, there are parts of the country where the party is still strong.
Yes, but almost none of those are in particularly notable states, except maybe Texas. All the important, influential and rich states (including the one I live in - Maryland) are solid blue. Even states like Iowa and Wisconsin are blue now. That sounds like a lost cause for Republicans in America.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,467 times
Lightbulb Do you think that the Republican Party is on its deathbed?

Oh, it's not dying. Just shrinking. The professional Pubs realize that their party is in a tough spot and it will be very good political theater to see how they try to weld the irrational psychotic hatred they've stirred up to energize the "religious right" with rational policy proposals. Because they've begun to recognize that falling back on their default position of "every election is about gods, guns, and gays" is no longer a winning formula for them on the national level. They can still safely use it in a lot of state and local elections, but if they don't want to become a permanent minority in DC, they know they have to give up the goober approach and try to offer a real alternative instead of trying to dress up "tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation" for the ninth time.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,596,930 times
I find this amusing, the democrats telling the republicans to be more liberal is the way to the republicans winning?
If you have a hard left party and a center left party, that is the path to prosperity and unity?

The Eisenhower years were marked by the democrats controlling the house and senate, and continuing to do so until 1994 when Newt Gingrich revitalized the party using the Contract With America and actually outlining a platform people could understand and support.

The last 2 elections the republicans put up a candidate that met all the democrats needs, moderate, centrist, questionable conservative credentials, and I just didn't see the left supporting them. Why continue to follow a loosing strategy of trying to out liberal the liberals

When there are 2 left candidates running, why vote? Perhaps that is the strategy for all the "helpful" advice given by the left, if the republicans are dumb enough to listen, they will keep loosing.

If the republicans will nominate a solid conservative with the ability to articulate their message and get past the media blitz attacks, who can appeal directly to the electorate and promote a real conservative message in a way that the average person that doesn't follow politics can understand, (like a Ronald Reagan), then that candidate will get votes across the spectrum and win.

Not because of race baiting politics, not because of singling out minorities, but by speaking directly to American Citizens instead of demographics.

It is the democrat strategy to divide people by any possible line of race, sex, finances, it is the republicans or more realisitically conservatives that look past those differences and unite based upon what really matters, family, country, opportunity.

The democrat strategy is divide and destroy, the republicans will need to unify and make people Americans again instead of only looking at color or wedge issues that divide, they must unite the citizens of this country to a common cause to win.
To put Country over politics, to understand that if the country falls, we all suffer, that political agendas mean nothing against the security and prosperity this country needs and deserves.

America deserves the best, not just the candidate that can win through division and hatred seperating us as a country, we need to be united in the face of the hatred put forth by the left and it's media machine.

We deserve better than what we have been getting.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,156,961 times
The Republican Party has already died. This happened due to the hijacking by extremists. If not for fringe groups that mangaged to infiltrate the party, these extremist types reflected in the current flock of supporters and potential elected representatives would have still been under rocks. Whatever is now posing as the Republican party seems to be in some sort of death throw and hopefully there is a DNR order in place.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I find this amusing, the democrats telling the republicans to be more liberal is the way to the republicans winning?
If you have a hard left party and a center left party, that is the path to prosperity and unity?

It is the democrat strategy to divide people by any possible line of race, sex, finances, it is the republicans or more realisitically conservatives that look past those differences and unite based upon what really matters, family, country, opportunity.

The democrat strategy is divide and destroy, the republicans will need to unify and make people Americans again instead of only looking at color or wedge issues that divide, they must unite the citizens of this country to a common cause to win.
To put Country over politics, to understand that if the country falls, we all suffer, that political agendas mean nothing against the security and prosperity this country needs and deserves.
Geez, could we have any better example of just how delusional the neo-con wing has become these days... or maybe I simply "mis-underestimated" all those GOP "enemies" and "wedge issues" (minorities, muslims, gays, joos, lib-ruls, feminazis, educated elites, teachers, unions, atheists, universities, "the 47%", gay marriage, "illegals", contraception, abortion, Barack the Magic Negro, this President must FAIL, etc., etc....)!

Or as comedian Jon Stewart put it, "Republicans love their country... they just hate half the people in it!"

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM

502 posts, read 718,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All minority groups - women, African Americans, Latino Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, LGBT - are now HEAVILY Democrat. Given that the percentage of minorities will only increase from here on out, is it basically over for the Republican Party in America?

BTW, I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. I'm wondering if I should even bother to vote anymore.
Women are not a minority.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM

672 posts, read 1,419,801 times
Quote:
That's part of the problem. You see anything that's not on the far right to be...too liberal. Compromise is defeat, right? My own Conservative friends have said that to me: "There is no compromise."

Quote:
The last 2 elections the republicans put up a candidate that met all the democrats needs, moderate, centrist, questionable conservative credentials, and I just didn't see the left supporting them. Why continue to follow a loosing strategy of trying to out liberal the liberals
There's a phrase that comes to mind: "A wolf in sheep's clothing." Candidates like Mitt Romney are conflicted between what they believe...and what they're supposed to believe. Even though I agree that those two candidates were everything you said, I never would have voted for a ticket with Sarah Palin or Paul Ryan. There just wasn't a strong pair that appealed to moderates like myself.

Quote:
When there are 2 left candidates running, why vote? Perhaps that is the strategy for all the "helpful" advice given by the left, if the republicans are dumb enough to listen, they will keep loosing.
Because there are more than two candidates running. If people hate the government as much as they say they do down here, they would have voted Libertarian or the like. The current Republican party seems to me to be a different flavor of Big Government.

Quote:
If the republicans will nominate a solid conservative with the ability to articulate their message and get past the media blitz attacks, who can appeal directly to the electorate and promote a real conservative message in a way that the average person that doesn't follow politics can understand, (like a Ronald Reagan), then that candidate will get votes across the spectrum and win.

Not because of race baiting politics, not because of singling out minorities, but by speaking directly to American Citizens instead of demographics.
I do agree with you on this. In my opinion, Obama ran on "Give me more time to fix what the previous administration did." and Romney ran on "I'm not Obama." There needs to be a better message, and better plan to back it up.

Quote:

Except when the GOP stubs its toe on topics like "47% of Americans are do-nothing leaches" and legislating against equal marriage rights. It sounds like they just want to unite a White, affluent, straight country. The ideas of a more Conservative government aren't that radical to me, but the message gets lost in their own cloud of bull.

Quote:
America deserves the best, not just the candidate that can win through division and hatred seperating us as a country, we need to be united in the face of the hatred put forth by the left and it's media machine.
The only hatred I see is from the Right and its media machine. See what a difference perspective makes on reality?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,468,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The Republican Party is at a fork in the road; they can continue to ride the Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Michelle Bachman crazy train or as Bobby Jindal has lamented "Stop Being The Stupid Party".

The problem that the Republicans have is what they have done has worked for so long and they still have widespread support; remember over 59 million people voted for Mitt Romney and he got 48% of the vote. So for many of them it's hard to see the need to change. In fact people like Glenn Beck think they need to "Double Down".

The real question is; are there enough moderate Republicans to point the party in a new direction?
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies