Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What happens when the people the government represents are the same the government provides for ?
This election proved that IMHO. It was all social issues and the fear of having their programs cut.
Fiscal issues were not on the table except for "tax the rich".
Agreed. It was summed up best by Ben Franklin:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."
or

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

That is what it has boiled down to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
or

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

I think we've crossed the line with this election.
The numbers have tipped and not for the better.
And I just don't see it going back. "The People" will never vote to end their programs.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Another word about this "free food and healthcare" and how it erodes incentivism. Would you seriously want to be dependent on government food and healthcare? Where you are restricted as to who provides care, where many things aren't covered, and you can't buy what you what when you want?

No? I thought so. My incentive for earning my keep is that I have the power to get better healthcare and greater food options. Same applies when it comes to welfare killing incentivism. Most welfare recipients live in neighborhoods where violence is rampant and schools are in the toilet. Sorry, but my incentive is to work hard so that I don't have to live in those types of neighborhoods with substandard housing. My kids do not have to go to poor schools. As a result, they are being raised in a middle classed environment and go to schools where they will be given the best chances at succeeding later in life. Incentivism drives us to work very hard so that we can afford certain lifestyles and provide for our families and have to live on the minimum. ONly working can give you those things, not the government. Poorer kids having smart phones, etc. doesn't mean a thing, because chances are they are living in conditions that I don't envy. When I lived in NYC, government housing was the absolute pits, rife with gang violence, crime..ugh, it was just a bleak place to be in. Thank God my mother worked her tail off so that I was raised in a better environment.

So for most people, "free food and healthcare" doesn't diminish incentivism. At all.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
If I'm obligated by your "rights" to support you and give you everything you want and need, then why aren't you obligated to support me back?

If I work hard for a living and buy my own food -- where did my rights to be supported by you go?

The taxpayers obviously lost their rights -- not only must they work to support their own families and themselves, they are being robbed to support those who prefer to lay around doing nothing all day.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I remember in Romney's infamous 47% comments he spoke with disgust about those who thought they had a "right to health care... and food"

I think these are a right. Do you?
I'm of the belief that a person has a right to get up off their lazy a$$ and earn the money to pay for their own food and healthcare.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I remember in Romney's infamous 47% comments he spoke with disgust about those who thought they had a "right to health care... and food"

No.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think we've crossed the line with this election.
The numbers have tipped and not for the better.
And I just don't see it going back. "The People" will never vote to end their programs.
You really have to hand it to Obama in a way. He's surpassed Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro in dividing this nation with class division and he's convinced his voters they are entitled to everything and more that those who work for their living have.

Millions of people now believe that working for a living is simply a choice, they will be provided everything by the government -- which will simply confiscate the wages of those who choose to work. And the liberals actually believe that unlimited numbers of people no longer have to work or contribute a thing. Everything can just be free, everything can be made a "right". And the money comes like manna from the sky.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
or

While I agree, the first quote was not said by Ben Franklin.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:

Why stop there? Let's add country clubs, sports cars and fishing poles while we are redefining life. So add obama fishing poles and Obama golf clubs to his list of giveaways.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You don't? No one is guaranteed a long or healthy life. You certainly don't have a right to force other people to support you.
Nearly everyone in this country uses force to make other people support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies