Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm sorry, I don't see how food and health care being a right forces anyone to work for free.

The armed forces protect our freedom-- which is a right. Do they work for free?

Attorneys often protect our freedom of speech. Do they work for free?

Bogus argument.
So bakers and butchers protect your right to food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't see how food and health care being a right forces anyone to work for free.

Bogus argument.
So now doctors and farmers are to work for free so that you can achieve some utopian society ythat you couldn't pay for before and you're certainly not going to be able to pay for it in the future as real bona fide competition will constantly erode your lifestyle to the point that you either learn to live with less or you jump off a cliff.

You people are freaking silly. Unsustainable seems like such an easy word to understand but if you're a GD liberal definitions don't matter because you constantly reword, redefine and move goal posts like it was your (um, someone else's) household furniture.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So bakers and butchers protect your right to food?
No. Thanks for making my point.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:

Bogus argument.
No, yours is the bogus argument by comparing apples to oranges.

If I have a right to health care that means a doctor has an obligation to treat me whether or not I can pay for his services. If he gets paid by the government through some entitlement program instead, then he hasn't worked for free. But in that case, the person who paid the taxes that went to the doctor did work for free.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, yours is the bogus argument by comparing apples to oranges.

If I have a right to health care that means a doctor has an obligation to treat me whether or not I can pay for his services. If he gets paid by the government through some entitlement program instead, then he hasn't worked for free. But in that case, the person who paid the taxes that went to the doctor did work for free.
Our taxes go to both things we support and things we don't. If you equate the very small portion of your tax dollars that go to medical treatment for the indigent to working for free, I guess you have a point.

Doctors treat poor people all the time, and they seem to get paid for it. Yes, they are paid via government programs, but they are paid.

This argument that they are working for free is nonsensical.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
No. Thanks for making my point.
But you want them to? The military is in the Constitution, by the way.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
What? Is that the best argument you've got? That if we acknowledge food and health care as human rights, then people have the right to your wife?

On second thought, that sounds like a winner. Keep arguing this!
But it's somewhat true...While a bit extreme.

It shows that if you indoctrinate enough people...you can pretty much make anything a "right".

Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
But it's somewhat true...While a bit extreme.

It shows that if you indoctrinate enough people...you can pretty much make anything a "right".
I'm not talking about making "anything" a right. I am talking about food and health care.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I think health care and food are a human right.
But who or what grants that right?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Several times this year we have given our primary product away for free to underserved populations, students in developing countries and indigent individuals.

I am far from an idiot.
You see when you call something a right that means everyone is entitled to it. As soon as you're willing to post a (free) ad on Craigslist, local newspapers and in the NYTimes proclaiming you're willing to give your services away for free then you'll have a valid argument but until then you're a complete and utter hypocrite and you yourself are a NIMBY ideologue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies