Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Didn't seem to stop you from speculating.

Or is this an "only one can play this game'?
So asking you if you think he's so stupid he'd start with a bare pantry is speculating to you?

One of us is playing a game; one of us is living in reality. You have the players mixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Not to worry, when he's not on Twitter he's having Sandy victims to his house for hot meals, rescuing women from burning buildings, shoveling snow off elderly constituents' driveways, and tending to pedestrians who've been hit by cars. It's all in a day's work for SuperMayor. Not that you care about facts or anything, but ...

According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities:

SNAP has one of the most rigorous payment error measurement systems of any public benefit program. Each year states pull a representative sample (totaling about 50,000 cases nationally) and thoroughly review the accuracy of their eligibility and benefit decisions. Federal officials re-review a subsample of the cases to ensure accuracy in the error rates. States are subject to fiscal penalties if their error rates are persistently higher than the national average.

Despite the recent rapid caseload growth, USDA reports that states achieved a record-low SNAP error rate in fiscal year 2010. Only 3 percent of all SNAP benefits represented overpayments, meaning they either went to ineligible households or went to eligible households but in excessive amounts, and more than 98 percent of SNAP benefits were issued to eligible households.

That is an infinitesimally small amount of “waste” or “fraud.” It is so minuscule as to nearly be non-existent.
"Eligibile" and "Ineligible" is wholly and completely irrelevant to what goes on in the black market, where trading food stamp cards for cash, or "losing" a card multiple times and obtaining multiple replacements reign free of the measurement system you mention.

On another note, it's interesting that you believe a minimum of $750 MILLION in fraud, waste, and abuse annually is a small amount of money. Very interesting indeed. I'd hate to know your opinion of the national debt. Perhaps you think it's miniscule as well?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sounds good, what was they were trying to bother your friend about? Was it something like local zoning about livestock? I hate that stuff. I wanted to raise chickens when I was a teen in the suburbs of LA (no rooster though), but it was such a crazy process to make it legal that it seemed ridiculous. Now, I understand not becoming a neighborhood nuisance by having a giant hatchery full of clucking, excrement, etc., but I just wanted a small little coop. BLAGH. Seriously, sometimes local governance is even more ridiculously than any federal law. Ended up trying to run for local council member as soon as I was of age, but didn't really take at all. Ah well.
I don't know a whole lot about milk and stds for milk, but the best i can say is the milk wasn't heat treated to be pasteurized..

His customers don't WANT pasteurized products and buy from him BECAUSE his products are Not pasteurized.

Over my way there go around looking for rare insects like triple headed pine bark beetles which could get on some list like an endangered species list, and assorted other critters like a yellow spotted mermaid tailed sallymander

The goobermint thinks it has a right to know every little detail and to tax it too....

My next venture is going to be a salt farm So the govt can come pound salt

Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Booker's experiment is worthless. Those of us paying attention already know that food stamp purchases are usually a free ride down the junk food aisle. It's long past time to reform food stamp food eligibility. Democrats won't allow it.
I know a way to make Booker's experiment real. Freeze all his accounts, take his cell phone, dress him in rags and drop him off in east cornflakes, with 10 dollars in cash and that card.

With in reason been there, done that, got the tee shirt for it, but for 3 years not one...

0 help, but then I didn't ask for any.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So , if he also has has a few cans of Spam , a couple of pounds organic fruits and vegetables in his pantry, he can use those to his weeks diet too?
The point is, it will not be a realist test ....whether he starts with a stocked cupboard or a bare one.
Neither will reflect actual conditions.
How does this not reflect reality?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM

109 posts, read 168,073 times
I don't believe the author in the book Nickel and Dimed was receiving any kind of assistance. SO it's not exactly the same thing.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
I believe Booker will be President one day and a very good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies