Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Cory Booker May Soon Be Living Off Food Stamps

Cory Booker's interactions with the denizens of Twitter started out pretty typically on Sunday. First, he told a man whose transgender friends are nervous about moving to Newark that he'd be happy to give them a call, and by the evening he was offering to help a student staying up all night to write a report about him.

Cory Booker May Soon Be Living Off Food Stamps -- Daily Intel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Corey Booker continues to impress. Although I'm not sure I'd want my Mayor spending all his time on twitter.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
If he's willing to game to give it a try and see how people on food stamps live, then I'm totally up for it. It's good primary research on the mayor's part. I'd like for him to find novel solutions to live healthily off of food stamps and then try to put his research to inform subsequent decisions about food stamps in the US. The guy is pretty much an amazing mayor who has more than anything tried to find ways to solve what have seemed like entrenched and intractable problems, and if he's able to do so, then great. I'd feel sorry for whoever he gets hitched to in the end, because sharing that kind of life is a pretty hard sell and you'd have to be pretty crazy or have absurdly high tolerances for all kinds of discomfort to be this devoted to your job and humanity in general.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If he's willing to game to give it a try and see how people on food stamps live, then I'm totally up for it. It's good primary research on the mayor's part. I'd like for him to find novel solutions to live healthily off of food stamps and then try to put his research to inform subsequent decisions about food stamps in the US. The guy is pretty much an amazing mayor who has more than anything tried to find ways to solve what have seemed like entrenched and intractable problems, and if he's able to do so, then great. I'd feel sorry for whoever he gets hitched to in the end, because sharing that kind of life is a pretty hard sell.
^^^I applaud the fact that the guy is passionate, dedicated and willing to walk a mile in another mans shoes.....REGARDLESS of the letter at the end of his name, unlike most of our bat**** crazy posters.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
When I was working poor I lived off foodstamps. I could have eaten crablegs twice a week. I didnt have the hubris for that so I only bought them once in a while. I did however buy things that i knew close family members would want.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Many social workers (of all levels and in many different capacities) participate in a role playing exercise where they have to "live" like the people they serve. I've heard it's a very eye opening, heart changing experience for many. Wish more people could participate in it. I think it would change a lot of minds.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Food stamp recipients eat better than many blue collar working poor who don't receive food stamps. This is undeniable. I don't for one moment believe that Corey Booker will eat bad while he takes part in this obvious publicity stunt.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Food stamp recipients eat better than many blue collar working poor who don't receive food stamps. This is undeniable. I don't for one moment believe that Corey Booker will eat bad while he goes for this obvious publicity stunt.
That is an issue with those who control the food supply and make decisions regarding assistance NOT the food stamp recipients.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Food stamp recipients eat better than many blue collar working poor who don't receive food stamps. This is undeniable. I don't for one moment believe that Corey Booker will eat bad while he takes part in this obvious publicity stunt.
Really, can you prove how your assertion is undeniable? Nobody said he'll be eating bad, he'll just be eating with little/less pleasure. Try being on foodstamps when the power goes out and the food you bought in bulk spoils with no way to replace it..Not very pleasant I'm sure. This reminds of all the people claiming waterboarding was harmless but only one, Christopher Hitchens, stepped up and tried and barely made it 3 seconds and claimed it was horrific.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is an issue with those who control the food supply and make decisions regarding assistance NOT the food stamp recipients.
LOL....controlling the food supply? Please, for the love of all things Holy, point me to the entity in America that controls the food supply. The last time I checked, those backyard gardens and multi-acre crops in Anytown America weren't the domain of Corey Booker, Barack Obama, Big Business, or the United States Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies