Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times

Advertisements

this isnt a right or left thing, because texas has the same thing with rick perry, and last time i heard he was a republican.

this pisses me off though either way.

i have to pay double the price an illegal would to attend a massachusetts college.

like ron paul said, there is no need for a 50 foot fence. get rid of the handouts(hospitalization, tuition, etc.) and you wont have an illegal immigration problem.

Report: Mass. cuts tuition for illegal immigrants - Kevin Robillard - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,651 times
Another nail in the republic's coffin.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Wow, that pisses me off, too. I damn sure don't want them illegals gettin' a good education and a real job just so they can start paying taxes and contributing to our economy and our society.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wow, that pisses me off, too. I damn sure don't want them illegals gettin' a good education and a real job just so they can start paying taxes and contributing to our economy and our society.

They can get jobs? Last time I checked, they cannot.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Hope they all see thius and go to Mass.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They can get jobs? Last time I checked, they cannot.
It's part of the DREAM program. Children of illegals who were brought here as children can get educations, jobs and citizenship.

Massachusetts is making it affordable to lift these people out of poverty and illegal status, and enter the world of the contributing classes.

Don'cha hate that?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
It's part of the DREAM program. Children of illegals who were brought here as children can get educations, jobs and citizenship.

Massachusetts is making it affordable to lift these people out of poverty and illegal status, and enter the world of the contributing classes.

Don'cha hate that?

Why not give lower tuition to real, actual American kids?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
No, they cannot. That is proposed, but it is not law.

That being said, this does only apply to those whose deportations have been deferred and can get work permits. Sorry, I had not read the article before my last post. But that doesn't mean they can get citizenship.

Quote:

Don'cha hate that?
I would prefer to see Massachusetts make college more affordable for kids who are American citizens... If they are from another state, they have to pay ~$13,000 more.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
It's not the handouts driving illegal immigration--it's the prospect of employment. There is real world evidence in the slowdown and finally reversal of illegal immigration with the recession. It's not like there was a marked change in what you're calling "handouts" (since illegal immigrants can't get most of those anyhow as they either legally can't or are afraid of being found and deported).

As for paying in-state tuition, that's specifically for illegal immigrants who must be at least 15 and no older than 30 while also having resided in the United States continuously since June 15, 2007 and must be either enrolled in school, have a high school diploma or GED, or have been honorably discharged from the military (armed forces aren't nearly as strict about legal standing in the US as long as you are willing to fight and die for the US which seems reasonable to me). Paying in-state tuition is not quite the same thing as offering a special discount for illegal immigrants--it's offering those who have fulfilled all requirements save for being illegal immigrants.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:

Don'cha hate that?
Yeah, I do. I hate the fact that there are so many perks to committing a crime. I hate that American kids pay more so non Americans can pay less.

Yeah, I hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies