Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,380,587 times

Advertisements

Former Republican Mont State Rep Joel Boniek, and a crowd of supporters, disrupted a court hearing in Billings, forcing the judge to adjourn. Boniek was in court being arraigned on charges of delaying/obstructing a police officer, and fleeing capture, after being arrested in July for going around a police barricade, then speeding away from the officers.

Boniek entered the courtroom, accompanied by supporters. As the hearing commenced, Boniek began objecting, challenging the authority of the District Attorney. As the exchanges between Boniek and the judge grew heated, Boniek's supporters chimed in, shouting challenges and obscenities at the judge.

For the safety of the court, the judged declared an adjournment, ordered the courtroom cleared and left the bench. Boniek declared "I'm in charge of this court now! The case against me is hereby DISMISSED!"

Joel Boniek, Former GOP Montana State Rep., Leads Heckling Of Judge

Boniek will no doubt face additional charges after this. A psych eval may be in order too. But, a couple observations:

1) Contempt for the law, when it doesn't rule their way, seems to be a recurring theme among Republicans. Witness the current efforts by Red State governors to throw a monkey wrench into the implementation of Obamacare.

2) I've read that the Libertarian Far West may be the cradle of the recovery of the national GOP. But, there is a streak of anti-Fed violence in the movement, including the Freeman and Posse Commitatus groups, and justa general attitude that the US govt is illegitimate (except, of course, when it's providing the subsidies that keep the Red States from starving)

3) Both the judge and the DA in this case are women. I wonder if that was a factor in Boniek's and his supporters' bluster and bullying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies