Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The OP is not about race, not about politics. Why do you insist on making it both? I'm not going to get into a discussion about race or politics with you because this thread is NOT about race or politics. It's about people who work and are in need of food stamps. If you want to make it a discussion, start a new thread and don't highjack someone else's thread.
I will give my opinion and if you don't like it, you can simply ignore me. All I said was, the GOP feels that if you are on food stamps, you are lazy, no matter if that is true or not, they simply lump everybody into one group. If that opinion upsets you, than don't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
Some say that people getting food stamps and things like unemployment benefits are lazy and just want free stuff. Well I can tell you this is not true of everyone. I have two part time jobs. Between the two jobs, I can work sometimes 12-16 hours a day and sometimes 50-60 hours a week. I also get food stamps. Does this make me lazy? I think not. MOST of the people getting food stamps or unemployment benefits are employed and work hard. They do not just want free stuff. All we need is some help making ends meet.

Why?

There are many factors to which YOU choose and result in this.

Where do you live? There are many other states that you can work low requirement jobs at the hours you do and not require food stamps (in many cases you could live comfortably).

What are your skills? If you have none, then as I said, location is important.

Do you live with others? While in college, I worked full time for crap wages, but... I could live quite comfortably while having roommates. I could afford all of my expenses without issue and that was without working as many hours as you do.

What steps have you taken to increase your knowledge and skills? With the numerous avenues of learning through the internet and books, why have you not taught yourself some sort of skill which would increase your marketability?

Sorry, you will get no sympathy from me. My mother had two children, work 80+ hours a week and was denied a request from welfare (for making 13 dollars over the amount) for only the ability to put her children in day care (it was expensive). She survived while government told her that it would only help unless she quit her job. She refused, worked he arse off and raised two kids.

Honestly, cry to someone else.

Last edited by Nomander; 11-21-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I will give my opinion and if you don't like it, you can simply ignore me. All I said was, the GOP feels that if you are on food stamps, you are lazy, no matter if that is true or not, they simply lump everybody into one group. If that opinion upsets you, than don't respond.

No, there "may" be such situations where food stamps are appropriate, but the fact is today's generation does not have the hardship that previous generations had. As I said, my mother had far more hardships than the OP and even I had issues of living close to the line, but there are solutions. The problem is, many people today are "too good" for those solutions. They want all the benefits of a financial security, but none of the responsibilities.

In all but a very limited number of cases of people, most can be solved by simple lifestyle changes and directions. The problem is that too many refuse to accommodate such. I understand, independence is a strong aspect, but when you are starving, you don't complain about the type of bread you obtain. Such luxury is reserved for those who have obtained more than below the minimum.

Go ahead, rather than pat the OP on the back and uselessly sympathize with her, ask her questions, provide solutions to which could improve her life.

Or... just whine about how she has a hard life and expect others to make it up for her.

Pathetic.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
white conservatives always lump everybody together.

No everyone is an individual, but everyone has a choice. Everyone can make decisions to improve themselves.

Why haven't you taken the time to help the OP improve their life? What questions have you posed and suggestions to help her help herself?

None, because you promote slavery, servitude, and dependence.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right
Are you insinuating that the OP is a liar? If so, what would be his/her motivation?
If you work 60 hours a week at minimum wage, you'd come out to under $2000/month (before taxes). If you have a family support, a place to live (it is ok that they have shelter...right?), and need to put gas in your car, then that salary isn't going to go far, is it?
It is a totally plausible scenario. There are many, many working poor in this country.
All you can come up with is a snooty "right".

Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
No, there "may" be such situations where food stamps are appropriate, but the fact is today's generation does not have the hardship that previous generations had. As I said, my mother had far more hardships than the OP and even I had issues of living close to the line, but there are solutions. The problem is, many people today are "too good" for those solutions. They want all the benefits of a financial security, but none of the responsibilities.

In all but a very limited number of cases of people, most can be solved by simple lifestyle changes and directions. The problem is that too many refuse to accommodate such. I understand, independence is a strong aspect, but when you are starving, you don't complain about the type of bread you obtain. Such luxury is reserved for those who have obtained more than below the minimum.

Go ahead, rather than pat the OP on the back and uselessly sympathize with her, ask her questions, provide solutions to which could improve her life.

Or... just whine about how she has a hard life and expect others to make it up for her.

Pathetic.
You talk about her whining, listen to you. I got no problem with people on welfare because the reality is, if they aren't getting it, those tax dollars will just go somewhere else. You can be hard ass all you want, but at the end of the day, you and i are still paying for it, so be might guest and continue to whine all you want, it won't you any good.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
Some say that people getting food stamps and things like unemployment benefits are lazy and just want free stuff. Well I can tell you this is not true of everyone. I have two part time jobs. Between the two jobs, I can work sometimes 12-16 hours a day and sometimes 50-60 hours a week. I also get food stamps. Does this make me lazy? I think not. MOST of the people getting food stamps or unemployment benefits are employed and work hard. They do not just want free stuff. All we need is some help making ends meet.
This is what is called a straw man argument. Set up some imaginary person making some imaginary claims that you take offense to, and then beat the hell out of the straw man in a post. I'm sure that straw man never saw it coming.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,832 times
TO say all people accepting food stamps, or any type of welfare is deemed lazy by the right is BS imo. Republicans that I know what welfare REFORM. Not to get rid of it and let them die, because they all acknowledge that there are people that NEED it, and people that use and abuse.

That said, reform is harder than it looks, obviously. OP can work 2 jobs and still need food stamps bc she is a single mom having to support kids. OP can also work 2 jobs and still need food stamps because she needs to buy fancy handbags and go out to clubs all the time, in which case you aren't lazy, but still don't deserve assistance.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Funny, because I haven't.
The data clearly shows that isn't the case, generally, either.

Interesting, because I am a network engineer who has worked with thousands of those in the IT industry from everything from software engineering to network infrastructure. In fact, this industry from my experience has many people who are knowledgeable and educated in their field, but don't have degrees to "certify" their claim. I know some CA's, many CCIE's, MCSE, RHCE's, etc... who have NO college degrees. They taught themselves, learned on their own and excelled above and beyond those who walked in with a "degree" in a specific field. In fact, I have made fun of many CS degree's due to the fact that they have dumbed down the requirements for them (little math and physics) who walked into a work place thinking they had any idea and watched those non-college educated network engineers make them feel like they were only smart enough to run the help desk.

You go ahead though and stick to that "data", I mean... I have seen so many college educated folk walk in with their "data" and explain to the production folks how things really are! /sarc

Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
You talk about her whining, listen to you. I got no problem with people on welfare because the reality is, if they aren't getting it, those tax dollars will just go somewhere else. You can be hard ass all you want, but at the end of the day, you and i are still paying for it, so be might guest and continue to whine all you want, it won't you any good.

When you should have a problem with the tax dollars themselves.

If your only argument is that government will waste our money somewhere else and so it is better to waste on them, well... you are part of the problem. That is, you support waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies