Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
No it isn't. I shop at Canadian owned stores that are so different than Walmart it's like day and night.
Home hardware for instance has over 40,000 different products and are priced right. The Great Canadian Superstore is Canadian owned, union shop and IMO is 10000 times better than Walmart in every single area.

I don't shop at walmart and I won't shop at walmart. NOT until they start to PAY their employees a living wage.
oh please

1. your are comparing a canadian store to an american store

2. your comparing a hardware store to a department(general) store

3. EVERY retail department/speciality/food store pay their employees in the SAME BALLPARK as far as salary and bennies.......Macy's pays the same as walmart

4. define """living wage"""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,631,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Meanwhile, about half of Wal*Mart's employees earn so little that they qualify for food stamps. Isn't capitalism wonderful?
Tell them to go get a job if they don't like the pay.

Death to all unions...

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,947,502 times
This in a nutshell.

Unions have been around a long time and just not pop up out of the woodwork and start destroying this country. If anything, unions have been in decline.

The problem is the vultures like the Multi National Corporations and Banks that have lobbied for foreign trade policies beneficial to them which screw the country.

Now the chickens are slowly coming home to roost in this "Free Market Global Economy" and their demanding everything that was already in place be slashed so they can keep their gravy train rolling in.

The best possible scenario for the benefit of everyone is a world currency crash so that the parasites have nowhere to run to protect their wealth and a reset takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No one can ever accuse you of being insightful. This is simple logic here. By design, Corporate America and its demonizing of unions and outsourcing, is forcing lower standards of employment and work place ethics and conditions. These corporate giants are clearly demonstrating that they want the same working conditions for their employees as those in China. People take these Walmart jobs because obviously they need them, which should not translate to making them second class citizens to the pigggish greedy CEO's. I find it a bit odd and very distrubing that any American would not understand ow detrimental this is to the nation s a whole.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
hmm mcdonalds is open the entire 24hours of today

Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Salary should be commensurate with the return that you bring to the company. A retail worker at Walmart is an extremely unproductive position. They are paid what they are worth.
I assume you are referencing the fact that, if a Chinese can build a widget in this global economy for much less than an American, then the American is overpaid?

In this global free market economy, American CEO's and Banksters are paid a large multiple of what other CEO's around the world are paid.

Using your logic, they are overpaid for what they are worth in the Global Free Market.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not assuming. That is my understanding from everything I have read about them.

Well, according to one article "they are constantly in contact with each other and with family advisors, and they meet three times a year to discuss and manage their fortune." wow, that must almost be a full day's work!

Mostly, that's what they do: they manage their fortune. So, "they are not running a successful" company either.

Christy Walton did not make any of the money. She is the widow of John Walton one of the sons of Sam Walton (founder of Wal-Mart). [in other words: lucky

Alice Walton, breeds horses and ran over and killed a woman in an auto accident at an intersection (drunk?). [breeding horses is not her job, it's an avocation

Rob Walton , chairman of the board for Wal-Mart, his words "not a nine-to-five job" I guess not, they meet, what 4 times a year ?- Rob oversees the board and runs shareholder meetings

Samuel Robson Walton - also on the board. [still no signs of anyone with a job here

Jim Walton - runs Walton Enterprises Inc. - the company that "manages the money and affairs of a single wealthy clan " - i.e. the Walton's money. Well I manage my own investments too, that's not a job.

John Walton - venture capitalist, and philanthropist [not a real job]

And finally: "None of Sam's grandchildren currently work for the company, though some have interned there. " -- so looks like none of them are going to be working at Wal-mart either, but I'm sure they will inherit lots. and in the future you can admire them also, think of the blood, sweat, & tears !

If anyone can find that any of these people have actually put in a hard days work in the Wal-Mart corporation , go for it.

THE WALTONS/ INSIDE AMERICA'S RICHEST FAMILY - November 15, 2004
Why don't you go make something of yourself and you wouldn't have time to be envious of those who have made it? You have the same importunity as 'Sam Walton did, only he wasn't lazy and actually did something with his life. Everyone wants free stuff and no have to work for it. that happens when a communist is sitting in the WH. this country is screwed over by the losers, who now outnumber the good people. obama is getting his wish, the economy is destroyed with his good work..

Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 PM

[quote=ellemint;27050745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post

I cannot believe what has come of conservatives in this country who think the fat cats are entitled to fleece the poor and the middle class like this. Its disgusting and appalling. Meanwhile Joe Six Pack goes and gets the only job he can get to support his family, only to be shamed by the idiots on here for being so poor despite working at Wal-Mart that even in states with almost no safety net he'd qualify for every handout offered.

Whether one wants to admit it or not, the greedy rich are part of the problem in this country.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Yet everyone wants to think how hard-working, industrious, and worthy the Waltons are! They're not ---- they're just plain LUCKY to be the progeny of Sam Walton.
Fat cats are fleecing no one. those they think they are, are the lazy one who are the dregs of society..

Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmm mcdonalds is open the entire 24hours of today
So is my local Safeway. 24/7. I'm sure people would be boycotting if they didn't need to run over there for forgotten, last minute, food items to gorge themselves on

Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
'Walmart earned $16 billion last year (it just reported a 9 percent increase in earnings in the third quarter of 2012, to $3.6 billion), the lion's share of which went instead to Walmart's shareholders -- including the family of its founder, Sam Walton, who earned on their Walmart stock more than the combined earnings of the bottom 40 percent of American workers.

Is this about to change? Despite decades of failed unionization attempts, Walmart workers are planning to strike or conduct some other form of protest outside at least 1,000 locations across the United States this Friday -- so-called "Black Friday," the biggest shopping day in America when the Christmas holiday buying season begins.

At the very least, the action gives Walmart employees a chance to air their grievances in public -- not only lousy wages (as low at $8 an hour) but also unsafe and unsanitary working conditions, excessive hours, and sexual harassment. The result is bad publicity for the company exactly when it wants the public to think of it as Santa Claus. And the threatened strike, the first in 50 years, is gaining steam.'

Robert Reich: Why You Shouldn't Shop at Walmart on Friday

Nothing like punishing success, eh?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Nothing like punishing success, eh?
Do you know what irony is?

Bashing a post that is critical of Commie Walmart that is successful because of Commie Chinese slave labor while accusing the poster of being supportive of Communism.

It seems your the Commie since you support Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies