Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Some servers whose income is supplemented by tips may get paid $2/hr. Servers at McDonalds do not get tips, and therefore the LAW requires that they be paid the minimum wage or higher. Nobody at McDonalds is getting paid $2/hr or $4/hr. The waitress at La-di-da's may get paid $2/hr, with the expectation that she's going to get tips at the rate of $10/hr.

Canada may have a shortage of food industry workers. And may offer great pay. I believe the pay at McDonald's in Vail Colorado is much better than the pay at McDonald's in Pine Bluff AR. The costs of living in Vail Colorado are significantly higher than the costs in Pine Bluff AR. High pay scales are related to higher costs of living.
Well, I just learned something "new":

Quote:
What is the youth minimum wage?
The youth minimum wage is authorized by Section 6(g) of the FLSA, as amended by the 1996 FLSA Amendments. The law allows employers to pay employees under 20 years of age a lower wage for a limited period -- 90 calendar days, not work days -- after they are first employed. Any wage rate above $4.25 an hour may be paid to eligible workers during this 90-day period.

Which employers may use the youth minimum wage?
All employers covered by the FLSA may pay eligible employees the youth minimum wage, unless prohibited by State or local law. Where a State or local law requires payment of a minimum wage higher than $4.25 an hour and makes no exception for employees under age 20, the higher State or local minimum wage standard would apply.

When does the 90-day eligibility period start and end?
The eligibility period runs for 90 consecutive calendar days beginning with the first day of work for an employer. It does not matter when the job offer was made or accepted (or when the employee was considered "hired"). The 90-day period starts with (and includes) the first day of work for the employer. The 90-day period is counted as consecutive days on the calendar, not days of work. It does not matter how many days during this period the youth actually performs any work.

What happens if an employee reaches 20 years of age before he or she has worked the full 90-day eligibility period for the employer? Can the employee still be paid the youth wage for the full 90-day period?
No. Eligible employees may be paid the youth wage up to the day before their 20th birthday. On and after their 20th birthday, their pay must be raised to no less than the applicable minimum wage.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs32.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
There was such a shortage of workers in Alberta that employers were forced to pay good wages or they would have NO EMPLOYEES.
That is not the case in much of the US at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I talked to servers all over the USA and some were getting $2 an hour with no benefits.
In Alberta the MacDonalds were offering $20 an hour and still could not fill their staffing requirements. Besides experencing it first hand I watched a special on it on the CBC. One McDees owner was cleaning tables, flipping burgers and just filling in where ever because he could not get people to work for him. Places like Subway HAVE to bring in foreign "Guest Workers" or they are just out of business. That is one of the biggest benefits of "Full employment".
Well, yes, "full employment" is a good thing. We have had this in the US as well at various times. I believe you have had recessions in Canada as well.

Others have addressed this issue as well, but I'll add my own 2c. From my link about US minimum wage:

Tipped $2.13 The Fair Labor Standards Act requires a minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped workers with the expectation that wages plus tips total $7.25 per hour. The employer must pay the difference if total income does not add up to $7.25 per hour.[5]

This is what these US servers conveniently neglected to tell you, or else you "led the witnesses".

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is not the case in much of the US at present.

Well, yes, "full employment" is a good thing. We have had this in the US as well at various times. I believe you have had recessions in Canada as well.

Others have addressed this issue as well, but I'll add my own 2c. From my link about US minimum wage:

Tipped $2.13 The Fair Labor Standards Act requires a minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped workers with the expectation that wages plus tips total $7.25 per hour. The employer must pay the difference if total income does not add up to $7.25 per hour.[5]
My guess is a lot of these forum posters, such as lucknow, don't live in the United States. You can't live here and be that ignorant about labor laws, can you? They are probably accustom to the laws in their country and think it applies over here as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well, I just learned something "new":

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs32.pdf
What specifically did you learn?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Also every one of those non union employees pretending to be in a union who plan to not work friday should be fired. I think what we will be seeing is a bunch of union turds running around pretending to be walmart employees screaming about how evil walmart is etc. etc. etc.
You can't fire someone for concerted activity.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
It is not appropriate to say that Wal-Mart has a competitive advantage in our capitalist society; it is far beyond that. Wal-Mart exists in its own category, untouchable, and not simply a monopoly; there is a centralized economy surrounding the brand. Wal-Mart is the evil warlord overseeing the merger and collapse of old, tired out firms, leaving its scraps to various corporate scavengers. Further, the chain controls every single one of its suppliers, forcing each one to lower its prices, so that Wal-Mart can keep its own prices low. There is not a supplier in the world that is going to deny Wal-Mart – it is too big, too rich, and too powerful – for doing so would mean assisted suicide. If needed, these suppliers will sacrifice the quality of product it provides Wal-Mart (a practice that is approved of by the corporation as long as it means coinciding lower costs), but, much to the knowledge of the corporation, no supplier is willing to lose such a client. According to Barry C. Lynn’s article Breaking the Chain, “Wal-Mart has become so strong, so sure of the invulnerability of its position, that not only does it not fear consolidation among its suppliers; it actually forces many of them to form fully self-conscious, collusive oligopolies with their rivals…It can turn even its largest suppliers, and entire oligopolized industries, into extensions of itself.” Wal-Mart takes these fallen companies’ profits on as their own, including their information and strategies, essentially forcing them to kill themselves solely for Wal-Mart’s gain.
The link provides information gathered from various sources and worth reading...
CORE 240: Capitalism and Democracy: Lauren Martin's Final Constitution Project

Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I too know people working as sales associates at Walmart (like my ex-boyfriend), in rural Indiana and Kentucky, where it is cheap. But in no way is it a living wage. It just isn't. Not after payroll taxes etc are taken out.
A "living wage" is something that is the responsibility of an individual to EARN, not an employer to GIVE.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The link provides information gathered from various sources and worth reading...
CORE 240: Capitalism and Democracy: Lauren Martin's Final Constitution Project

Gee, a company telling a vendor it will only buy something at a certain price. Ain't that horrible.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
A "living wage" is something that is the responsibility of an individual to EARN, not an employer to GIVE.
Ah, so a business has no obligation to provide anything to the community, and thus its employees, in which it operates?

Anyone remember when conservatives actually believed in conserving something?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Gee, a company telling a vendor it will only buy something at a certain price. Ain't that horrible.
Can be. It can be crippling when one corporation has the leverage to make or break certain smaller companies.

Now, when are you going to provide those statistics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies