Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
None of that has happened yet? You might find this interesting for starters:

http://www.hunton.com/files/Publicat...e-property.pdf

U.S. Supreme Court Allows Taking of Private Property for Public Use Solely to Further
Economic Development: Kelo v. City of New London

On June 23, 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Kelo v. City of New London1 that the expected gains
in new jobs and tax revenue flowing from a municipality’s economic revitalization plan established a
‘‘public use’’ within the meaning of the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution’s takings clause. The
takings clause, which states ‘‘nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation,’’
has been read to restrict eminent domain condemnations to those that effect a ‘‘public use.’’ While
the court has held in the past that ‘‘public use’’ should be understood broadly to encompass various public
benefits, in Kelo the court for the first time considered the constitutionality of condemnations justified
solely on the grounds of economic development.

O’Connor criticized the majority decision, stating that the court abandoned a ‘‘long-held, basic limitation on government power,’’ making all private property ‘‘vulnerable to being taken and transferred to another private owner,’’ all ‘‘under the banner of economic development.’’ O’Connor urged that ‘‘[a]n external, judicial check on how the public use requirement is interpreted, however limited, is necessary.’’ Acknowledging that property had been taken permissibly in the past for private use, she distinguished those situations as targeting property inflicting an ‘‘affirmative harm on society’’ (a blighted neighborhood in one, ownership of most of the land in the hands of a wealthy few in another) as determined by the respective legislatures. ‘‘In moving away from our decisions sanctioning the condemnation of harmful property use, the Court today significantly expands the meaning of public use . . . . Today nearly all real property is susceptible to condemnation on the Court’s theory.’’
This was talked about in another thread recently; I knew it looked familiar: //www.city-data.com/forum/27131497-post29.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This was talked about in another thread recently; I knew it looked familiar: //www.city-data.com/forum/27131497-post29.html
That's ok. This is the thread that is trending right now. So you support Agenda 21? If yes, why?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
That's ok. This is the thread that is trending right now. So you support Agenda 21? If yes, why?
I don't support Agenda 21. But that doesn't mean I don't support some ideas that happen to be a part of Agenda 21. Government policy has been encouraging continued urban sprawl for the last several decades, so I have no problem with revising government policy to slow it down.

I'm in favor of better funding for public transit, (yes, possibly at the expense of roads--let the fuel tax pay for most roads) so that more people have the freedom to choose NOT to use a car.

I'm in favor of loosening zoning restrictions that would allow more urban development to occur.

Unfortunately, some posters here see these things happening, and assume that they are happening because of Agenda 21. And so, these posters assume that they will soon be forced to live in some 200 s.f. room in a soviet style concrete apartment buiding.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I don't support Agenda 21. But that doesn't mean I don't support some ideas that happen to be a part of Agenda 21. Government policy has been encouraging continued urban sprawl for the last several decades, so I have no problem with revising government policy to slow it down.

I'm in favor of better funding for public transit, (yes, possibly at the expense of roads--let the fuel tax pay for most roads) so that more people have the freedom to choose NOT to use a car.

I'm in favor of loosening zoning restrictions that would allow more urban development to occur.

Unfortunately, some posters here see these things happening, and assume that they are happening because of Agenda 21. And so, these posters assume that they will soon be forced to live in some 200 s.f. room in a soviet style concrete apartment buiding.
I don't understand the logic in wanting to confine more and more people in urban environments. Look at what just happened in NYC after Hurricane (not declared a hurricane) Sandy. Hundreds of thousands of people without power and flooded for weeks. Billions in revenue lost. MTA - no service LIRR - no service for almost two weeks. Midtown Tunnel - flooded. Looting.

I can tell you where I live, there was no looting. Neighbors helped neighbors. Room to move around.

NYC's Smallest Apartment Just Got Smaller | AOL Real Estate

Maybe ideal for the single yuppie, but not exactly what a growing family should want or expect out of life.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

"Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992."

Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I don't understand the logic in wanting to confine more and more people in urban environments. Look at what just happened in NYC after Hurricane (not declared a hurricane) Sandy. Hundreds of thousands of people without power and flooded for weeks. Billions in revenue lost. MTA - no service LIRR - no service for almost two weeks. Midtown Tunnel - flooded. Looting.

I can tell you where I live, there was no looting. Neighbors helped neighbors. Room to move around.

NYC's Smallest Apartment Just Got Smaller | AOL Real Estate

Maybe ideal for the single yuppie, but not exactly what a growing family should want or expect out of life.
In that context--to me at least--"confine" denotes restriction. Nobody wants to "confine" people to urban environments!!!

Around here, when a powerful storm knocks out power for large numbers of people, that last people to have their power restored, are those who live in the far-flung suburbs. It's just logical; if the power company has the choice of fixing a downed power line that will restore power to 50 people, or a downed line that will restore power to 500 people, they will choose to fix the latter, first.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
In that context--to me at least--"confine" denotes restriction. Nobody wants to "confine" people to urban environments!!!

Around here, when a powerful storm knocks out power for large numbers of people, that last people to have their power restored, are those who live in the far-flung suburbs. It's just logical; if the power company has the choice of fixing a downed power line that will restore power to 50 people, or a downed line that will restore power to 500 people, they will choose to fix the latter, first.
So you're saying I've watched Escape From NY too many times?

Escape From New York Original 1981 Trailer - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:

May I ask you how much you know about ICLEI and the huge success it has had all over the country? I know that they have had huge successes in establishing much of the things you mentioned. If ICLEI exists in your local government then they have been involved in all those "things". One of their favorite terms happens to be sustainability in all its forms.

Maybe you need to look at the video I posted in the OP to find out what ICLEI has accomplished in so many places. The woman knows what she is talking about and the US has more local governments in ICLEI than most of the rest of the whole world. Listen to her talk, just for some knowledge.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

"Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992."
It is now time for you to avail yourself of what Image 21 says about itself. Try clicking on this link and read for a few minutes by clicking on what they tell there.

agenda21.org - agenda21 Resources and Information. This website is for sale!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Offered to allow people...?

I feel so special.
You certainly aren't special but you are self-enforced ignorant and that should be considered a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies