Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 AM

76 posts, read 143,376 times

Advertisements

Unlicensed, uninsured drivers are involved in almost 80,000 accidents in Illinois each year, resulting in $660 million in damage, according to the Illinois Highway Safety Coalition. Unlicensed immigrant drivers cost $64 million in damage claims alone.
this is according to the Highway Safety Coalition of Illinois. Highway Safety Coalition

Do we license them to give them access to insurance policies?

My personal opinion is no, we should not issue drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. I also believe in very harsh laws for those entering this country illegally. The risk to terrorism is hard enough to control and I don't see the government of Mexico wanting to control their own people from exiting and returning to their own country. We can't do any kind of reform without their cooperation. They should be providing us with documentation including verified background checks to accompany every single emigrant crossing their borders to the best of their ability. And I just don't see them being able to do this and the trust factor in Mexico is hugely suspect.

Are there other reasons for issuing a drivers license? I don't believe so but if you feel there are please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
Unlicensed, uninsured drivers are involved in almost 80,000 accidents in Illinois each year, resulting in $660 million in damage, according to the Illinois Highway Safety Coalition. Unlicensed immigrant drivers cost $64 million in damage claims alone.
this is according to the Highway Safety Coalition of Illinois. Highway Safety Coalition

My personal opinion is no, we should not issue drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. I also believe in very harsh laws for those entering this country illegally. The risk to terrorism is hard enough to control and I don't see the government of Mexico wanting to control their own people from exiting and returning to their own country. We can't do any kind of reform without their cooperation. They should be providing us with documentation including verified background checks to accompany every single emigrant crossing their borders to the best of their ability. And I just don't see them being able to do this and the trust factor in Mexico is hugely suspect.

Are there other reasons for issuing a drivers license? I don't believe so but if you feel there are please explain.
Giving licenses to people here illegally isn't going to change anything. They have ALREADY shown us they are willing to ignore our laws by being here illegally in the first place. Do you really think that allowing them to spend money on insurance is going to change things?

If they are here illegally, place them on a bus or plane and send them back to their own country. If they WANT to become American citizens, ask them to do the same thing that is asked of LEGAL immigrants who wish to become American Citizens.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:

My personal opinion is no, we should not issue drivers licenses to illegal immigrants.
Let us look at a few key "facts" you presented:
Unlicensed and uninsured drivers result in $660 million in damage claims
Unlicensed immigrant drivers cost $64 million in damage claims
Your conclusion: we should not issue driver’s license to illegal immigrants.

So, 90% of the damage claims are due to unlicensed and uninsured drivers that are neither immigrants nor illegal immigrants. But, it is the 10% of the cost that is the great worry which, BTW, doesn’t differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants. It could potentially include tourists from all over the world who are here legally.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
No.

Handing them drivers licenses doesn't automatically make them capable drivers. Many of these people never rode in a car back home much less drove one. They cannot read the signs, they cannot learn the traffic laws. They will obey only the laws that suit them, they have a very strong tendency to just do whatever the hell they want -- regardless of laws.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Happening in states all across America now.

I guess they get a waiver from having to prove you're a citizen to get a license.
What about the SS card you have to show ? So now they can apply for an SS card ?

Amnesty is all but a done deal now. That "deferred deportation" for 2 years has really morphed, hasn't it ?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
they are actually above the law here in texas. they get away with so much stuff that it is pathetic.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:

A driver's license doesn't mean insurance would be a given. I believe insurance is required if you are paying a loan on the car. If they are illegal, they don't qualify for loans. They pay cash for their cars.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Six right wingers so far, and they blindly bought into the tactics presented.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Yes, let's give people who are here in violation of Federal Laws driver's licenses.

Yeah. That makes sense. Oh and you expect them to actually buy insurance. LOL they didn't even bother waiting in line to come here. What makes you think they are going to abide by that?

Only in America!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Giving licenses to people here illegally isn't going to change anything. They have ALREADY shown us they are willing to ignore our laws by being here illegally in the first place. Do you really think that allowing them to spend money on insurance is going to change things?

If they are here illegally, place them on a bus or plane and send them back to their own country. If they WANT to become American citizens, ask them to do the same thing that is asked of LEGAL immigrants who wish to become American Citizens.

Truer words. Illegals have no ignoring any law that doesn't suit them. Driving drunk with no license or insurance is their norm, most cannot read English and leaving the scene of an accident is their norm. The political idiots on both sides of the aisle will say and do anything for a vote. They assume that it won't happen to them or one of their family members. By the time they figure it out it will be too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies