Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It occurs to me that people who don't want their tax dollars to support food for others-- on the off chance that those other might be lazy-- are not so much conservative, as they are selfish.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I have seen more repulsive posts about the supposed ner-do-wells who are leaching off the system, and complete ignorance of the hundreds of thousands of children who are fed from school lunch programs and food stamps... It really gives me a depressed view of humanity. It seems the RWNJ's have no sense of community, no sense of humanity. It's always about "me" and taking care of yourself and no mention of assisting in the care of others....

I'm sure this post will be lambasted by the usual suspects with faux-intellectual justifications for their selfishness-- But in the end, that's all it is. "I want more for me and you're on your own." Selfishness. And it's sad.

I'd much rather have my tax dollars support food for poor children than war. I wish churches spent less money on fighting boys kissing and more on housing for the indigent.

This is Thanksgiving. Before you repsond with your usual justifications and screeds about "liberals", stop and think. I wonder if the spirit of the holiday might give you pause and perhaps catalyze a change of heart.
No- liberalism is selfishness.

Libs, in there "Newspeak", constantly seek to change the English language in order to suit their political goals. All totalitarian regimes do so.

"Selfishness" now means resistance to the notion of a central government confiscating private assets against the will of private citizens. That used to mean "theft" or "piracy".

Selfishness is liberals who refuse to-

1. pay more taxes voluntarily to fund their projects
2. take in the homeless into their homes
3. allow illegal immigrant families to move in next door
4. give money to charity
5. give their job to a less qualified minority
6. support having their children being rejected from college, such that an illegal could take their place

Most liberals are greedy and selfish. That is why they want to tax other people and are willing to do nothing themselves. Just watch how liberals tip when they go out to eat- they are the most tight fisted, stingy people you can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No- liberalism is selfishness.

Libs, in there "Newspeak", constantly seek to change the English language in order to suit their political goals. All totalitarian regimes do so.

"Selfishness" now means resistance to the notion of a central government confiscating private assets against the will of private citizens. That used to mean "theft" or "piracy".

Selfishness is liberals who refuse to-

1. pay more taxes voluntarily to fund their projects
2. take in the homeless into their homes
3. allow illegal immigrant families to move in next door
4. give money to charity
5. give their job to a less qualified minority
6. support having their children being rejected from college, such that an illegal could take their place

Most liberals are greedy and selfish. That is why they want to tax other people and are willing to do nothing themselves. Just watch how liberals tip when they go out to eat- they are the most tight fisted, stingy people you can find.
What an emotional, delirious, off-the-wall rant. One wonders where you righties get this stuff, and why you are so quick to embrace falsehoods and absurdities in your world-view.
This is just fear-driven, anti-government stuff. Central government? You want to live in a world without rules? Well, I don't want people like you running loose just doing as you darn please.
Curious though - how many homeless people have you taken into your home?
How many illegals have you ousted from your neighborhood?

One sentence puzzles me. Liberal selfishness is "refusing to give up one's job to a less-qualified minority". This one really stumps me.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 11-22-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Who is more selfish, the person who wants to keep what he has earned or the person who wants to take what someone else has earned?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
It occurs to me that people who don't want their tax dollars to support food for others-- on the off chance that those other might be lazy-- are not so much conservative, as they are selfish.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I have seen more repulsive posts about the supposed ner-do-wells who are leaching off the system, and complete ignorance of the hundreds of thousands of children who are fed from school lunch programs and food stamps... It really gives me a depressed view of humanity. It seems the RWNJ's have no sense of community, no sense of humanity. It's always about "me" and taking care of yourself and no mention of assisting in the care of others....

I'm sure this post will be lambasted by the usual suspects with faux-intellectual justifications for their selfishness-- But in the end, that's all it is. "I want more for me and you're on your own." Selfishness. And it's sad.

I'd much rather have my tax dollars support food for poor children than war. I wish churches spent less money on fighting boys kissing and more on housing for the indigent.

This is Thanksgiving. Before you respond with your usual justifications and screeds about "liberals", stop and think. I wonder if the spirit of the holiday might give you pause and perhaps catalyze a change of heart.
Liberal vs Conservative is mixed bag. Pro life folks tend to view the use of abortion as a means of birth control as selfishness in the extreme. The more religious part of the GOP base contributes a tremendous amount of money to charity. Religious charitable institutions are vastly more efficient at helping the less fortunate than the federal government. The welfare system gets ripped off and exploited with great regularity. A blanket characterization that all Conservatives are selfish is just as ridiculous as the notion that all Liberals are Communists.

One of the reasons I'm no longer a Republican is because one day early in my adult life, I realized that they really are the protectors of rich people's pocketbooks. They never ever raise minimum wage -- which still isn't sufficient for a person to actually live off of. Many Republicans even want to abolish the federal minimum wage entirely. Democrats are the ones that raise minimum wage. But Democrats also waste money on stupid stuff, create social programs that escalate in cost beyond belief and don't seem to comprehend the idea of spending money responsibly. Republicans also waste money on stupid stuff, just different stupid stuff like maintaining a military presence all across the world. Both of them spend like idiots together and leave most of the wasteful spending of the other party in place.

The movement to save murderers from being killed is almost entirely within the Democratic Party. The movement to keep the massacre of unborn babies is also almost entirely within the Democratic Party. They don't make any sense to me at all. Are they advocates for the sanctity of life or are they not? Is human life sacred or is it not?

I could offer countless other examples about either party.

I have little use for either party because when it comes right down to it, their both just terrible.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Liberal vs Conservative is mixed bag. Pro life folks tend to view the use of abortion as a means of birth control as selfishness in the extreme. The more religious part of the GOP base contributes a tremendous amount of money to charity. Religious charitable institutions are vastly more efficient at helping the less fortunate than the federal government. The welfare system gets ripped off and exploited with great regularity. A blanket characterization that all Conservatives are selfish is just as ridiculous as the notion that all Liberals are Communists.

One of the reasons I'm no longer a Republican is because one day early in my adult life, I realized that they really are the protectors of rich people's pocketbooks. They never ever raise minimum wage -- which still isn't sufficient for a person to actually live off of. Many Republicans even want to abolish the federal minimum wage entirely. Democrats are the ones that raise minimum wage. But Democrats also waste money on stupid stuff, create social programs that escalate in cost beyond belief and don't seem to comprehend the idea of spending money responsibly. Republicans also waste money on stupid stuff, just different stupid stuff like maintaining a military presence all across the world. Both of them spend like idiots together and leave most of the wasteful spending of the other party in place.

The movement to save murderers from being killed is almost entirely within the Democratic Party. The movement to keep the massacre of unborn babies is also almost entirely within the Democratic Party. They don't make any sense to me at all. Are they advocates for the sanctity of life or are they not? Is human life sacred or is it not?

I could offer countless other examples about either party.

I have little use for either party because when it comes right down to it, their both just terrible.
* So if you become seriously ill, you will get treatment from your church or some charity?
* Jeez, a bit of objectivity at last?
* "Saving murderers" is not the point. It's about a flawed criminal justice system having innocent people punished. Why is this so amazingly unfathomable to conservatives?
Here's a question for you - why will righties accept a stand-in execution, a substitute while the real perpetrator potentially runs free? An offering to the gods, or what?? What if this "offering" were a loved one of yours?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Conservatism is the doctrine of Ayn Rand "The Virtue Of Selfishness" and Gordon Gekko.
Conservatism is opposition to change. The history of conservatism is defined by what they have opposed (like the American Revolution), hated, or destroyed.
* Wars for personal revenge and political capital without a concern of the cost in either money or human lives. This is not selfishness?
* Opposition to human rights legislation. Maintaining the old-white-guy control of society.
* The worship of money. Using money as leverage to maintain political power and control.
* Embracing money in politics (lobbying, Citizens United) and opposing legislation to discourage it.
* Knee-jerks to anything new (for instance, they hated rock music and the Beatles).
In short, conservatives are plutocrats and, as we speak, are working to install an American oligarchy.

So liberals don't work now? Like Fox, you post this seriously thinking people are dumb enough to believe it? Besides I'm pretty sure nobody knows what turkley is.

So here iis the final proof - conservatives love parading their prosperity before others, as if it means anything. You got a new corvette? That's great!
You live in a world of self-imposed delusion - at least judging by the above.

And no, I don't have a Corvette - I wanted the other guy to buy me one in Corvette Yellow. The request was offered as a debate construct to show them how unreasonable it was for one person to demand that another pay for something that is wanted, instead of paying for it themselves. Smart people "got it".

And I suspect that 99.9% know what turkley is - It is a mispelled word for a big bird.

Now that your post has been swept aside as the jabber it is, let me tell you what Conservatism is.

It is preserving the USA as a nation of human rights, feedom and the greatest force for good and prosperity ever, in the face of the hordes of Progressives who wish to destroy it by leveling all excellence, all accomplishment into a vast, lifeless plain of sameness, where excellence and accomplishment is impossible.

Now go eat some Tuyrkley and Dressling!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Who is more selfish, the person who wants to keep what he has earned or the person who wants to take what someone else has earned?
The latter, of course.

*******s are trying to redefine selfish to mean the former.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Wow, you got something correct.

I am saying Conservatism is NOT the doctrine of Selfishness, but the Doctrine of being Self-sufficient and not, selfishly, parasiting off of others.
By that definition, someone fully paralyzed would be, in your mind, a parasite, as they are not self-sufficient.

While I abhor those who freeload and can provide for themselves, I am fully against throwing out the baby with the bath water, and adopting a full "sink or swim", in which case, the paraplegic would be left to die. I also feel we owe a lifetime of medical service to vets no matter the cost to me in Federal Income Taxes, and despite being childless, do not run on a platform of decreasing education funding and expect support from me, be it financial or time.

We are still "We, the People", not "I , the person". The day we become the latter, we become just a few million square miles with out any special national characteristics.

Last edited by bobtn; 11-22-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:

Today is Thanksgiving....
Yeah? So what? Give thanks and be done with it already.

Quote:
...., and I have seen more repulsive posts about the supposed ner-do-wells who are leaching off the system, and complete ignorance of the hundreds of thousands of children who are fed from school lunch programs and food stamps... It really gives me a depressed view of humanity.
Then stop posting on the internet and go feed the poor and hungry. No one is stopping you, except you.

If you want to be depressed about something, then be depressed about the turd parents who don't feed their children....even though they have the money and/or Food Stamps to feed them.

Quote:
But in the end, that's all it is. "I want more for me and you're on your own." Selfishness. And it's sad.
Uh, no, people just want to keep what little they have (no thanks to you and your ilk).

Quote:
I pay my own way. I want our tax dollars....
Well, then you're not paying your own way.

Quote:
So you're saying Conservatism is NOT the doctrine of selfishness?
Liberalism is the doctrine of selfishness....it's just Penis Envy and Breast-implant Envy cloaked in the mantra of "helping others" to hide the stench.

Quote:
And I guess we forget about those who are unable to be self-sufficient.
You mean like retards?

The funny thing is that retards work hard, and they do all they can to be as self-sufficient as possible.

I'd trade one welfare puke for 10 retards any day.

Quote:
However, I don't buy your numbers... especially since over 60% of Food Stamp recipients are children....
Whose parents are too selfish and incompetent to feed them....so, yeah, it makes an helluva lot of sense to give even more money and Food Stamps to incompetent waifs that are more focused on getting laid, or getting their next drink or a hit of dope or lotto tickets are whatever else they do.

Quote:
... or elderly.
Maybe the children of the elderly shouldn't be so selfish.

Quote:
And once the babies are here-- Regardless of how they got here, I think we have an obligation to feed them.
And I'll be damn glad to do that....once you remove them from the ****-poor environment that they are in.

Orphanages work, you know.

Still not amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Conservatism is a doctrine of self reliance....
That's not conservatism, that's progressivism --- Teddy Roosevelt --- Rugged Individualism.

Conservatism is about family, you and community.

Progressively.....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Is that your Thanksgiving message?
Okay, uh, up yours. Is that any better?

Messaging....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Robin, I would like you and Republicans to learn that tax cuts to rich people and then starting new things like wars overseas isnt solid financial practice also? Or have you learned that yet??
Without your wars, you'd be a 3rd World Country.

Haven't you learned how the US works yet?

What will you do when Obama invades Iran? Blame it on Bush?

Amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Conservatism is the doctrine of Ayn Rand "The Virtue Of Selfishness" and Gordon Gekko.
Is this some kind of fairy tale bed-time story?

Quote:
Conservatism is opposition to change.
No, resistance to change is not the same as opposition to change. Conservatives like gradual change, not in-your-face-ram-down-your-throat change.

Quote:
The history of conservatism is defined by what they have opposed (like the American Revolution), hated, or destroyed.
Total fail. I fully expect Liberals to lie, deceive and distort, but this is ridiculous.

What you said is entirely impossible, since conservatism didn't exist until the French Revolution.

You might want to read about Burke, since conservatism came about in response to the French Revolution, and I'm guessing you have neither read nor are aware of Reflections on the Revolution in France (written by Burke).The French Revolution was 1789 for those who don't get it.
Quote:
* Wars for personal revenge and political capital without a concern of the cost in either money or human lives. This is not selfishness?
What do you call Obama's illegal over-throw of Honduran government in 2009?

Oh, yes, the illegal over-throw of the Greek government by Democrat LBJ and his Democrat-controlled Senate and Democrat-controlled House, had nothing to do with selfishness.

Quote:
* Opposition to human rights legislation. Maintaining the old-white-guy control of society.
Oh, yes, of course. Who appointed a member of the Ku Klux Klan to the US Supreme Court?

Why that would be dear FDR.

How many Democrats condemned Brown v Board of Education?

97 Democrats.

Who penned the first Civil Rights Act? Republicans (1957).

Who penned the second Civil Rights Act? Republicans (1960). What did the Democrats do? 18 Senate Democrats ran a 10 day filibuster attempting to block it.

Who blocked the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Democrats, specifically Democrat Senator Robert Byrd.

Who blocked the Voting Rights Act?

Democrats, again.

Anyone remember the Republican's Contract With America?

What was one of the issues Republicans vowed to resolve? Republicans vowed to ban racial discrimination in adoptions. After two yeas of blockage by the Democrats, the Republican sponsored bill became law in 1996.

Oh, and it was a female Republican who authored and introduced the bill.

Fortunately, Americans gave control of both the House and the Senate to Republicans in the 1994 election, so Democrats couldn't continue to block it.

Quote:
* The worship of money. Using money as leverage to maintain political power and control.
That would be a Democrat/Liberal thing; the constant use of class warfare and trying to get knee-jerk reactions....they'll take away your Obamaphone.

Quote:
* Embracing money in politics (lobbying, Citizens United) and opposing legislation to discourage it.
So why didn't Obama and the Democrats do anything about it in 2009-2010? Oh, that's right, Obamacare was more important.

You might want to get up to speed with reality.

Refuting...

Mircea

Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Default Is Conservatism is a Doctrine of Selfishness?

Quote:
Exactly right, no matter how today's neo-cons, RWNJ's, and narcissistic Ayn Rand fanatics try to spin it. Thanks for telling it like it is.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises ... that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." – John Kenneth Galbraith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies