Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM

266 posts, read 410,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nah, its not because I'm black, its because I'm familiar with these types of exercises and the philosophy behind them. They are trying to make people really think through slavery and its implications. They are also trying to push people past their comfort zones. The conventional wisdom is that there are a lot of young white kids who have never really thought about race in a serious way (because they have never really had to) and so they have to be shaken out of complacency. So, assigning something controversial and uncomfortable gets attention, then the nature of the assignment (writing) forces people to really think about the question. Usually everything gets talked about afterwards (How did this assignment make you feel? Why? Why would someone think whites need to apologize? Why would someone else say they shouldn't?) and then a discussion follows with all kinds of opinions being expressed, and a good professor would bring all the opinions out respectfully. Typically the learning is in the experience and the discussion afterwards, its not that one actually has to write a high quality apology that gets graded for the proper level of contriteness.

The thing is, it is a delicate balance trying to pull something like that off and lots of people do it in ways that just end up never moving most of the participants past defensiveness or shame. That's why I don't think its effective. Or rather, its only effective if you really know what you are doing.

Anyway, I don't think simply making people uncomfortable means it's racist, it's SUPPOSED to be uncomfortable to stimulate thought, reflection and discussion. The goal is to make everyone in the room actually THINK about race (and about whiteness) by pushing it to the forefront in an in-your-face way. It's not really about "signaling out the white kids for punishment" in the way it seems to be implied, if done correctly anyway.
Well I agree that it is done with good intentions and theres a philosophy behind it and it's done to make people think but my point is imagine if it was the opposite way around. What if the professor told all the black kids to write a letter to the white kids pretending they were slaves. Even if the professor did it to make the kids "think" there would be a huge commotion about it. If it's considered racist to make a black person feel uncomfortable because of their race shouldn't it be racist to make a white person feel uncomfortable because of their race? That's what the OP is getting at.

I don't think either one should be considered racist but if your gonna consider one racist you have to consider both racists. It can't just go one way. As you and I were saying before this country is too sensitive about race but I think the issue arises when we treat racism differently between races. For example, in the NBA a black rights leader in Minnesota stated that the Minnesota Timberwolves bball team was "too white" (which I think is a perfectly harmless statement because it's just an opinion). But if a high ranking white guy said the New York Knicks were "too black" he would probably be fired from his job. I think that's one of the big reasons white people don't think about race, because they know if they slip up or say something that may sound bad even though their intentions are good they will be ridiculed. I think the question shouldn't be "why is racism against whites tolerated?" but "why are white people never supposed to talk about race." If we have different rules for each race then were never gonna make any progress.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
does it really effect you so much that it occupies your life? probably not.. has it ever occuried to you that people are possibly being discriminated against not by you but someone else?? and they aren't whining or making it up? maybe you should walk a mile in someones shoes before you assume things.. alot of things hasn't happen to me but i can understand others viewpoint or their problems.. but this is probably asking too much of humans so nevermind

lol is that why he's being charged with murder and not manslaughter ? boy you got me!
The DA office does what they want. The DA is also elected. Hmm Florida, liberals and minorities. I wonder why he is doing it...

You may want to study up a bit.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Sorry people but I've seen far more racism from black people... Period.
In my experience:

- Black people (ones who are racist) tend to be more open about their feelings; which is why I think they may come across as being more racist..but when you really think about it, at least they're being direct and getting straight to the point instead of playing mind games. If you don't like somebody [for whatever reason] then just let them know, saves both parties a lot of wasting time and BS'ing around..Can't stand fakeness.

- White people (ones who are racist) tend to beat around the bush, sugarcoat, be "politically correct" or straight up hide it and wait until they get home to vent on places like youtube; which I find annoying b/c if you dislike me then just tell me so I don't have to deal with somebody who doesn't like me. Don't give me fake smiles.

I made a post some pages back [which was literally ignored] but it got my point across pretty good. here's part of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I have NEVER seen anti-white racism on this forum unless it was retaliatory in nature (directly in response to a racial comment). BUT I FREQUENTLY DO SEE anti-black/hispanic racism. Of course they don't outright say it since they would get banned, they resort to code-words and being overly-PC. I like to play around with these types and make them slip-up.

As for the code-words: I hear about many users complaining about an area going "downhill", just b/c they seen an increase in minorities, even when the crime rates have not risen and the median income have actually increased. Of course they don't directly say "minorities", they start off by saying "undesirables", "sketchy people", "shady people", "city/urban people" and complaining about their area "changing"....BUT they eventually slip up and who they are truly talking about comes out.

(I actually don't think this country is ANY less racist than it was in the 60's. It's just now disguised in sugarcoating, beating around the bush and expressed differently. As a black person, I rather somebody just put it out there that they don't like me as opposed to playing all these games; it'll save me and them a lot of time and energy My biggest pet-peeve is a fake smile.)

To further prove my point: Here are some racist posts that I have seen throughout the last year (the mods usually edit those users posts when they're called out so i'll post the ones that I can). I could easily post a lot more but i'm kinda in a rush:
//www.city-data.com/forum/3338070-post14.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/27463252-post52.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/12732570-post1.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/24352931-post11.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/23438915-post22.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/20431050-post22.html
(Whether you guys agree or not with these comments is your own personal business; but they are extreme generalizations by users who admit/known to be white. The undertones are undeniable.)

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The point is that had he been white walking in the dark, zimmerman would not have gave it a second thought and would have left him alone.
Yes, I've mentioned that as well.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
Quote:
The DA office does what they want. The DA is also elected. Hmm Florida, liberals and minorities. I wonder why he is doing it...

You may want to study up a bit.
lol rightttt thats why this is happening because the DA wanted it, instead of looking at facts .. and florida is liberal? ... lol and OH GOD THERE ARE MINORITIES THERE how dreadful

Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Hmmm... Martin brought that on himself by attacking Zimmerman.
You mean to tell me as a blackman walking in the dark on your way home someone approaches you in a threatening manner you would not confront them? You are either a very fast runner or a complete fool

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You mean to tell me as a blackman walking in the dark on your way home someone approaches you in a threatening manner you would not confront them? You are either a very fast runner or a complete fool
Approaches you in a threatening manner???

Hahahahahahhahahahah

Following someone is not a crime. Attacking them before they actually threaten you is... Continuing the attack after gaining the upper hand and they are crying and trying to disengage is also a crime. Bashing someone's head into the ground constitutes deadly force. Deadly force will get you shot. Learn the law.

I call the cops and keep going and if they ACTUALLY attack me then I'll shoot them.

Like Zimmerman, I carry. Unlike Zimmerman, I carry a gun openly and another concealed.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Approaches you in a threatening manner???

Hahahahahahhahahahah

Following someone is not a crime. Attacking them before they actually threaten you is... Continuing the attack after gaining the upper hand and they are crying and trying to disengage is also a crime. Learn the law.

I call the cops and keep going and if they ACTUALLY attack me then I'll shoot them.

Like Zimmerman, I carry. Unlike Zimmerman, I carry a gun openly and another concealed.

Your version of events is complete garbage.

Let's get one thing outta the way; you ain't gonna shoot anybody under any circumstances.

He followed the guy, and approached him. You're supposed to get your ass whipped when that happens.

He thought Martin was an easy mark being a 17 year old kid, overestimated his own toughness, and got his ass whipped. Simple as that. In order to get the kid off of him, he shot him.

That's the story.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Your version of events is complete garbage.

Let's get one thing outta the way; you ain't gonna shoot anybody under any circumstances.

He followed the guy, and approached him. You're supposed to get your ass whipped when that happens.

He thought Martin was an easy mark being a 17 year old kid, overestimated his own toughness, and got his ass whipped. Simple as that. In order to get the kid off of him, he shot him.

That's the story.
That's bull****.

The facts prove it.

And as to shooting someone... You don't know me. What makes you think I wouldn't shoot someone if threatened?

That's a foolish assumption to make...

Let's hope you don't learn the hard way like Martin did...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
That's bull****.

The facts prove it.

And as to shooting someone... You don't know me. What makes you think I wouldn't shoot someone if threatened?

That's a foolish assumption to make...

Let's hope you don't learn the hard way like Martin did...
I'm not Martin, and my family isn't like Martin's family. If Zimmerman had killed me, my father, brothers, uncles and cousins would've resolved this situation in the weeks when Zimmerman was walking around free before he was officially charged. With extreme prejudice.

But you? Nah...you ain't bustin' no guns. Stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies