Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Right, theocracy is generally a disaster. But for crapsakes do some research. Nobody comes anywhere close to Communism for body count and they did it in such a short amount of time that it's absolutely terrifying.

Vast majority of cases, religion did not cause murders to happen. Vast majority of cases, buttholes make murders happen. Religion tends to be an excuse. Communism is an atheist ideology created by a butthole and instituted by buttholes. Marxist theory points to religion as one of humankind's greatest oppressors. Force feeding everyone atheism is built into Communism.

Lesson learned:
1.) What you do or don't believe in doesn't mean you have to be a butthole and try to force other people to think like you do.
2.) Communism is a real life demonstration that a lack any moral compass in society means buttholes forcing atheism on others tend to murder a lot more people with significantly less restraint or remorse.
3.) We should all just respect the beliefs of others and not be buttholes about it.
You really need to research communism. The reason they used 'Atheism' is because many people inherently need something larger than themselves to believe in. By getting rid of religious, you replace a 'god' with a state authority figure. That need to worship then gets turned over and it makes people easier to control.

Religion = control. Being a 'god' is the ultimate in control.

Do I think Atheism is better than Theism? Yes and no. Yes because believing in gods is archaic and not logical at all. No, because many people NEED something to believe in to function and I'd rather it be some imaginary friend than an actual person.

There are still communes around that are perfectly functional and peaceful places. Unfortunately as Orwell wrote, some animals are more equal than others and some people will find a way to be in charge and boss others around. Communism in small batches works great, but on a larger scale...well... people are D-bags and WILL take advantage of others to benefit themselves.

I will agree with your #3 though...people need to chill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
If you look at the history of China, the rulers were killing millions of their own people long before communism was even a glimmer in Karl Marx's eye. Just Google the Taiping Rebellion. Pre-Communist Russia in the times of the Czars wasn't that free a place either--and often whatever new variation of political repression is put on top of it is often just new rats on an old ship. It seems more so, that certain cultures and nations are sort of historically stuck drifting towards often brutal and repressive dictatorships.

Looking at the history of the world and all the deaths that can be attributed to either the shifting tides of various religions in conflict or atheistic political movements, just brings up another point--that human beings since the dawn of time are prone to killing their fellow man for power, with or without religion, sometimes under the auspices of a brutal regime and sometimes just under their own personal motivation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
When militant atheists gets in power, they tend to be very barbaric unfortunately. Under Soviet Unions state atheism, tens of millions of Christians were persecuted and murdered, and plenty of churches being destroyed.
So how many people did the Christians kill during the Crusades?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You really need to research communism. The reason they used 'Atheism' is because many people inherently need something larger than themselves to believe in. By getting rid of religious, you replace a 'god' with a state authority figure. That need to worship then gets turned over and it makes people easier to control.

Religion = control. Being a 'god' is the ultimate in control.

Do I think Atheism is better than Theism? Yes and no. Yes because believing in gods is archaic and not logical at all. No, because many people NEED something to believe in to function and I'd rather it be some imaginary friend than an actual person.

There are still communes around that are perfectly functional and peaceful places. Unfortunately as Orwell wrote, some animals are more equal than others and some people will find a way to be in charge and boss others around. Communism in small batches works great, but on a larger scale...well... people are D-bags and WILL take advantage of others to benefit themselves.

I will agree with your #3 though...people need to chill out.
I am not an athiest, I just don't believe in any formal religion. And the closest thing to religion that I believe in is science, which even that can only tell me up to an extend and the rest I have to believe and speculate about, but with science the more we learn, the more we uncover and grow.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
When militant atheists gets in power, they tend to be very barbaric unfortunately. Under Soviet Unions state atheism, tens of millions of Christians were persecuted and murdered, and plenty of churches being destroyed.
It is still happening today.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So how many people did the Christians kill during the Crusades?
That is a good question. You can go to www.catholic.com to ask it. You do know the Crusades were fought to keep Christians from being slaughtered don't you?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Someday you might take the time to learn that communism is antithetical to liberalism which is my many of the most ardent anti-communist during the cold war were liberals.
antithetical to classical liberaism, absolutely.

antitheitcal to modern 'liberalism'?

that's definitely more iffy.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Ideologies don't kill people, people kill people.

Mother Theresa didn't kill people.

Pol Pot did.

Both people; different ideologies.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is a good question. You can go to www.catholic.com to ask it. You do know the Crusades were fought to keep Christians from being slaughtered don't you?
Of course, when Christians do the slaughtering, it's always justified to you...

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
A lot of people have died over the ideologies of religions, which is why I consider religion to be a truly waste of time that does nothing but bring destruction to everything it touches.

Also, the Catholics weren't going to protect the Christians, they were going to fight for a land grab and were using the Christians do to their willingness to worship the same god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies