Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Marines create a haven for tortoises in Calif. desert - U.S. - Stripes

Ok, I like turtles as much as the next guy. I was always amazed when coming across a turtle in my explorations growing up as a boy in the midwest. But is this what the US Marines have come to? Don't they have more important things to do? Isn't there a civilian volunteer org that could take care of the turtles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times

More than 90 percent of Marines who deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan came to Twentynine Palms for several weeks of grueling training known as Mojave Viper. And every one of them received a video lecture about the tortoise’s threatened status under the federal Endangered Species Act. Troops were warned to halt all training and notify the range master the moment a tortoise is spotted.

Marines are also ordered to make the base less hospitable to ravens by picking up food litter and making sure trash cans have lids that are “raven-proof.” Anti-raven pamphlets titled “Invasion of the Tortoise Snatchers” are handed out.
Wouldn't we be all be better off if Marines were spending their time on target practice and bayonet drills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Only you would see this as controversial or political

Stop bashing the troops!!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
I'd have them target practicing shooting at them ravens.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Marines create a haven for tortoises in Calif. desert - U.S. - Stripes

Ok, I like turtles as much as the next guy. I was always amazed when coming across a turtle in my explorations growing up as a boy in the midwest. But is this what the US Marines have come to? Don't they have more important things to do? Isn't there a civilian volunteer org that could take care of the turtles?

Wouldn't we be all be better off if Marines were spending their time on target practice and bayonet drills?
I have no problem with Marines being informed about the tortoises. Marines can do a lot of damage to the environment while training. If they can be informed enough to minimize the damage they do, the better off the tortoise will be. However, there is only so much they can do. A round from a 105mm Howitzer is going to create a sizable crater when it impacts, and there is nothing Marines can do about that.

There are civilian volunteer organizations: California Turtle and Tortoise Club, CTTC

I have been to Twentynine Palms for training myself, back in the 1970s, and saw more than a few tortoises. Frankly, I did not give them much thought at the time. I was more concerned with tarantulas, black widows, diamondbacks, sidewinders, and above all staying cool. Tortoises were pretty low on my list of priorities.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
I think they are being taught respect for nature. Nothing wrong with that. My Dad was a Marine in WWII and served in some of the most horrific places in the world and some of the bloodiest battles. But when he got home he would not own a gun, would not harm an animal. He was a farmer his whole life, I remember having to wait days to use a piece of equipment we needed while he figured out how to move a birds nest without disturbing it. I remember him stopping the car to help a turtle off a busy highway. I think they learn to respect all life when they've been in a situation that respects none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies