Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
To answer the OP: I do not hate rich people. I am actually quite impressed with those who are rich AND actually work for it. That is quite a feat. What is not impressive are trust fund babies who do nothing. Now there are trust fund babies that work, do charity, etc. I can live with that. What absolutely angers me is the lack of recognition by some of the rich. They do not recognize the luck they've had - either by birth, marriage or just getting a chance to make money in the first place. They do not acknowledge that not everyone has the support system needed to go from rags to riches - or even rags to middle class. That makes me angry.
Let's say that you become wealthy. You work hard, smart, sacrifice and take risk.

Should the government make claims against your wealth upon your death?

If you answer yes, you are a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
The "BOTTOM" half of the nation is the foundation of the nation...The rich are not the foundation...it is all of us that support and keep them in their position of privilege...I don't mind the rich as long as they work every day...as I mentioned the richest man I knew stood by his post and was dutiful to the bitter end- The guy went to the office and died in his chair at 75 years old...He could NOT retire...He had responsibilities to thousands who depended on his stewardship...It is the middle rich- the greedy - the stupid status seekers...the light of mind that are the problem...those on top of the heap are not motivated by money but by duty---sad to say this old breed of care takers are dying out...I don't see any replacements on the horizon...No one wants the job of the God father...COS' IT'S A LOT OF WORK....

Rich people who do nothing are on the same level as welfare parasites that do nothing- you have to do the work!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
If you want to be honest you would recognize the scant amount we put towards public education in this country and then you would see why education is not on the rise here.
You're joking, right? "Scant amount"? Some cities spend $20,000 per student per year.

Cut the fat at the top. Use the best value labor for building schools and maintenance, not being forced to spend two to three times the actual rate of labor.

Anyone remember this debacle? New Public School in Los Angeles Named After Robert Kennedy is Most Expensive in American History - ABC News

Half a BILLION DOLLARS for a school building in California? Just for show? While they can't pay their bills?

This is equal to a poor person with good credit leasing a Bentley.

Lefties crushed Romney for building a new home equipped with a car elevator with HIS MONEY, but NEVER a word about this abuse of PUBLIC MONEY.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The "BOTTOM" half of the nation is the foundation of the nation...The rich are not the foundation...it is all of us that support and keep them in their position of privilege...I don't mind the rich as long as they work every day...as I mentioned the richest man I knew stood by his post and was dutiful to the bitter end- The guy went to the office and died in his chair at 75 years old...He could NOT retire...He had responsibilities to thousands who depended on his stewardship...It is the middle rich- the greedy - the stupid status seekers...the light of mind that are the problem...those on top of the heap are not motivated by money but by duty---sad to say this old breed of care takers are dying out...I don't see any replacements on the horizon...No one wants the job of the God father...COS' IT'S A LOT OF WORK....

Rich people who do nothing are on the same level as welfare parasites that do nothing- you have to do the work!
Wrong. All third world nations have the poor and the rich. The middle class is the foundation of this nation.

And exactly why would you mind someone who has made a lot of money and decides not to work? Or someone who inherited a fortune not working? And really if someone spends his life going after status symbols, how does that hurt you?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
If you want to be honest you would recognize the scant amount we put towards public education in this country and then you would see why education is not on the rise here.
The USA spends by far more on education than any nation but we've got the teachers unions that keep stupid incompetent teachers in the schools and make sure no school can have standards. Parochial schools cost much much less to run and do a far better job. And homeschooled children are very often grades ahead of kids in the very costly public schools.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Adjusted for inflation, their wealth dwarfed the wealth of today's wealthy. (Try saying THAT, 10 times fast)
Carnegie could have bought and sold Bill Gates like 7 times over. Again, adjusted for inflation.

Even so, people SHOULD be encouraged to give back. Especially people with so much to give. Say what you want about Romney, and he may not have "signed a pledge", but he does give away a disproportionally large percentage of his income to charity.
I don't see giving money to a church so they can build bigger monuments to themselves as giving to charities. Maybe you can enlighten me, where does mittens charity get spent by the Mormons?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I don't see giving money to a church so they can build bigger monuments to themselves as giving to charities. Maybe you can enlighten me, where does mittens charity get spent by the Mormons?
I can't, but they are a church so I am going under the assumption that it is, at least in part, being used to help the less fortunate in one way or another. Maybe you can enlighten me as to how you know they are using it all to build bigger monuments to themselves.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Maybe you can enlighten me, where does mittens charity get spent by the Mormons?
The LDS Church has a positively enormous Humanitarian Fund which provides disaster relief throughout the world to people in need, regardless of their race or religious beliefs. In addition to disaster relief, the LDS Church has helped improve the quality of life for people worldwide in ways such as these:

•The World Health Organization estimates that 884 million people worldwide don’t have access to clean water. This is a huge problem in Africa, not only because of water-borne diseases but because kids who spend hours each day walking to and from the nearest well to fill old gasoline cans with water cannot attend school. According to church records, in the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through the LDS Church's humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes.

•More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Church-sponsored humanitarian program. To see a legless child whose knuckles have become calloused through walking on his hands lifted into a wheelchair may be the best way to fully understand the liberation this brings.

•Millions of children, meanwhile, have now been vaccinated against killer diseases like measles as the Church has sponsored or assisted with projects in 22 African countries.

•More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through the Church's partnership with African eye care professionals in providing training, equipment and supplies.

•Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for the Church in Afraica.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I can't, but they are a church so I am going under the assumption that it is, at least in part, being used to help the less fortunate in one way or another. Maybe you can enlighten me as to how you know they are using it all to build bigger monuments to themselves.
Most of their "charity" involves funding their universities, wealthy ppl funding the education of wealthy ppl under the guise of charity.

Since 2000 Tyler Foundations, Mittens' foundation gave almost $5,000,000 to LDS, $525,000 directly to BYU, and $177,000 to the United Way out of $7,000,000 in giving. In other words, screw traditional relief efforts, support those monuments in Salt Lake City.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-25-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Cut and paste promotional marketing BS from LDS doesn't put facts and figures to the amount they devote to those efforts and what percentage it is to what they take in.

In 2011 mittens claimed almost a million dollars in "in kind" donations. What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The LDS Church has a positively enormous Humanitarian Fund which provides disaster relief throughout the world to people in need, regardless of their race or religious beliefs. In addition to disaster relief, the LDS Church has helped improve the quality of life for people worldwide in ways such as these:

•The World Health Organization estimates that 884 million people worldwide don’t have access to clean water. This is a huge problem in Africa, not only because of water-borne diseases but because kids who spend hours each day walking to and from the nearest well to fill old gasoline cans with water cannot attend school. According to church records, in the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through the LDS Church's humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes.

•More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Church-sponsored humanitarian program. To see a legless child whose knuckles have become calloused through walking on his hands lifted into a wheelchair may be the best way to fully understand the liberation this brings.

•Millions of children, meanwhile, have now been vaccinated against killer diseases like measles as the Church has sponsored or assisted with projects in 22 African countries.

•More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through the Church's partnership with African eye care professionals in providing training, equipment and supplies.

•Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for the Church in Afraica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies