Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,158,797 times

Advertisements

Oh look, unemployment rate back on the rise. Boy, this sure is a great Obama recovery, isn't it? Let's keep demonizing the rich and threatening to tax them more and more!

U.S. Unadjusted Unemployment Shoots Back Up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Hmm, interesting angle. If you research the minutes of Boards of Education across the U.S., you will see ENORMOUS fees approved for architects, many of those fees for plans that are never built or for projects which need extreme modifications once under construction.

Yep, damn those rich and annoying architects.
Why do you make shiit up. I just said I worked in that industry and you invent things that aren't true. Architects do not work that way. They eat much of the proposal and schematic design costs. Until a contract is executed schools aren't paying anyone for anything. That is why most firms have a lot of interns working for free on models and renderings at the conceptual phases.

You clearly know nothing about the design process, don't act like you do.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
See your very next post argues against the system we all live in. "case law" is as important as the constitution itself. If you cannot accept that fact of life you're not dealing with reality. There are plenty of court rulings I don't agree with, but I accept them as the law, you on the other hand only want to live by those you agree with. That is a fundamental problem you need to deal with.

You can argue all day that the general welfare clause was interpreted all wrong, but making that argument isn't moving things forward. Res Judicata is the legal term, you are arguing things that have already been decided.

Dude, I was a senior structural designer and help build dozens of schools. I never stopped railing against the waste of those "monuments to architects' egos". Schools need to put function over form. It is the architects trying to out do each other that is the problem.
Noted.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Why do you make shiit up. I just said I worked in that industry and you invent things that aren't true. Architects do not work that way. They eat much of the proposal and schematic design costs. Until a contract is executed schools aren't paying anyone for anything. That is why most firms have a lot of interns working for free on models and renderings at the conceptual phases.

You clearly know nothing about the design process, don't act like you do.
Uh huh. And clearly you know nothing about how public school districts operate on Long Island. The "consulting fees" paid to architectural firms in advance of a Board deciding on whether to go ahead with a project average $25-50,000.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,629,169 times
Quote:
It's the greedy, too big to fail banks like Citibank which received the biggest government bailout of them all, which heartlessly turn around and slash 11,000 employees right before Christmas. "Streamlining middle management" is what I heard was the reason. So those aren't poor people and those aren't rich people, those are the middle-class, under $200,000 a year folks who now have no job because Obamacare and higher corporate taxes are excuses to lay off the middle class in order to grow Citibank's profit margin.

Anyone can fall on hard times through no fault of their own. However, the ability to get back up and start over again has been made harder for the simple reason that unemployment is still at 8% and will most likely go much higher in 2013. Why? Because we have a Marxist for a President who is hellbent on destroying capitalism in this country.

I don't think Citibank worries much about corporate taxes. Citigroup has a culture and history of tax evasion.

I have linked to a report that describes "a history of tax evasion by the world’s largest financial conglomerate, Citigroup. Going back decades, it is a story of repeated, aggressive tax evasion for itself and clients, depriving governments
and therefore citizens of huge amounts of funds and carried out with relative impunity."

" Citigroup’s deferred income taxes for the third quarter of 2010 amounted to a grand total of $0.00."

REPORT: You Have More Money In Your Wallet Than Bank Of America Pays In Federal Taxes | ThinkProgress

http://www.taxjustice.net/cms/upload...ax_evasion.pdf

Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think Citibank worries much about corporate taxes. Citigroup has a culture and history of tax evasion.

I have linked to a report that describes "a history of tax evasion by the world’s largest financial conglomerate, Citigroup. Going back decades, it is a story of repeated, aggressive tax evasion for itself and clients, depriving governments
and therefore citizens of huge amounts of funds and carried out with relative impunity."

" Citigroup’s deferred income taxes for the third quarter of 2010 amounted to a grand total of $0.00."

REPORT: You Have More Money In Your Wallet Than Bank Of America Pays In Federal Taxes | ThinkProgress

http://www.taxjustice.net/cms/upload...ax_evasion.pdf
Think Progress? You have the unmitigated gall to link a George Soros propaganda piece? Spare me.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Think Progress? You have the unmitigated gall to link a George Soros propaganda piece? Spare me.
OK, why don't you find a link that shows Citigroup pays a federal income tax rate of anything close to even 25 %.

"The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005."

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters

Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
OK, I found it for you.

"A Citigroup spokeswoman said that the company did not pay federal income tax in 2011."

Nor did they pay any federal income tax in 2010. " Citigroup last year made more than $4 billion in profits but paid no federal income taxes. "

Some companies pay more to CEOs than to Uncle Sam: study - Chicago Tribune

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsro...4-a27f59d70de5

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Uh huh. And clearly you know nothing about how public school districts operate on Long Island. The "consulting fees" paid to architectural firms in advance of a Board deciding on whether to go ahead with a project average $25-50,000.
And, as I said that relatively small fee wouldn't be paid until they're under contract. A board often buys a comprehensive feasibility study, which will include site review, civil surveys, test bores, code review, "need" studies, and even an evaluation of the school system's current infrastructure and future needs projections. With that, they may provide electronic files of all conceptual documents, and a lengthy report, pros and con's and alternative options.

Tell me, who should pay for that? Why do you think a school asks a firm to do those things? FYI, it is to discover problem early and save money.

We once spent two years doing a bridge study, Fulton Road Bridge, Cleveland, Ohio. We did preliminary engineering and cost studies on preliminary six, then three finalist, designs. The customer put the final three options to a public opinion poll and finally picked one. Our work, in the long run, saved several times our fees to a strict demo and replace in kind project.

Who pays for that up front work? Does an engineer or architect ALWAYS work on spec? NO. They will at times pour man hours in to close a contract, but nobody would survive if schools and governments didn't pay for the services they request.

I will add that none of that guarantees the architect will get the final contract.

The next phase is often a competitive design contest, with several companies working to meet the school's formal request of proposals. They often do this phase without a fee, thus low paid or unpaid interns crank out models and renderings.

Last edited by buzzards27; 12-06-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
OK, I found it for you.

"A Citigroup spokeswoman said that the company did not pay federal income tax in 2011."

Nor did they pay any federal income tax in 2010. " Citigroup last year made more than $4 billion in profits but paid no federal income taxes. "

Some companies pay more to CEOs than to Uncle Sam: study - Chicago Tribune

Release: Tax Time? Not for Giant Corporations - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont
Isn't funny that they'll listen to faux lies 24/7 but any time they are cornered with undisputed facts they attack the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies