Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,453,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Folks, please read these posts carefully. Then I beseech you to understand that these words are the ramblings of someone who does not understand the state of many of her fellow Americans. Someone who does not understand the plight of the poor, the elderly, children, the disabled and the working poor. Finally, I ask you to not listen to this fallacious propaganda and instead seek out the information yourselves. You will be surprised (pleasantly, in an odd way) to see that your fellow Americans are not the bloodsucking lazy leeches that many R's would have you believe they are.
You could also listen to what an R says with intellectual honesty and realize that we do not believe nor would we have other people believe that our fellow Americans are bloodsucking lazy leeches. What happens is that when we talk about bloodsucking lazy leeches, leftists use strawman tactics to claim that we were talking about legitimately suffering people. In this way they can claim that we are cruel and heartless.

It goes like this:

R: I don't think able bodied people who choose not to work should receive benefits.

D: The Republican said that people who don't work shouldn't receive benefits. See, he thinks the elderly, children, and disabled people should starve in the streets!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,954,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You could also listen to what an R says with intellectual honesty and realize that we do not believe nor would we have other people believe that our fellow Americans are bloodsucking lazy leeches. What happens is that when we talk about bloodsucking lazy leeches, leftists use strawman tactics to claim that we were talking about legitimately suffering people. In this way they can claim that we are cruel and heartless.

It goes like this:

R: I don't think able bodied people who choose not to work should receive benefits.

D: The Republican said that people who don't work shouldn't receive benefits. See, he thinks the elderly, children, and disabled people should starve in the streets!!!!!
Well said. It always bothers me when this happens. I think we have some serious issues out there with people that legitimately cant take care of their own financial situations, and we do need to have something in place to help them, but too many people take advantage of the systems in place and/or become dependent on the systems and it limits our ability to take care of the truly needy.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 AM

140 posts, read 108,916 times
Quote:

It goes like this:

Yes, (in bold) this is the part that's licking the red off everyone's candy. It's being brought up in political threads all over C-D. Hell, my family and I talk about it when we're playin' cards and solving world problems in our discussions. It's everywhere. People are pissed about it and with good reason.

Why aren't they either made to go to work, or, at least required to perform some job for the county that equals the amount of welfare benefits being received until the person can find a job? (Something to that effect.) Some of these able bodied people could be babysitting for some of the others to free parents up so they can work.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The plight of the poor has been going on for years and nothing has change. It is now overplayed. You attack good hard working good americans who have pulled out of the middle class and then have the nerve to say they don't pay their fair share. They aren't the big bad bankers, they are not rich yet and Obama will make sure they don't make it. Do you realize how offensive that is to people who are paying a lot of taxes. Sorry, you should not expect sympathy from them.

You attacked and voted for higher taxes and then expect sympathy?

How have I attacked anyone? You conveniently ignore many facts that negate your position.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
You are right. I don't care. If you feel they are low write a check to the IRS then.
And I should take your position under advisement, why? The above is nothing but an example of out-of-hand, knee jerk reactionary dismissal. There is no substance to what you say.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
If you are making $20K a year did it ever occur to you that YOU are doing something wrong? Do you think Obama is going to raise it to $30K? If you wait on anyone else you will die where you are.
What is the person who is making $20K "doing wrong"?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
No it is called research. I'm not stupid enough to take Obama's word for anything.

Middle class faces quick impact from alternative minimum tax - The Washington Post

Obamacare Investment Income Tax: Wealthy To Pay 3.8 Percent Surcharge On Capital Gains, Dividends

Of course the so called rich will pay it either way. A little bit of a raise here, a little bit there. and to you it's a teeny little bit. Typical democrat liberal... raise taxes as long as it does not effect you. So typical of the people who have no skin the in the game.
I'd be willing to pay federal income tax, as long as it's fairly apportioned to us and those making much more than us. I'd be even more willing to pay if the loopholes the rich use are sewn tightly shut.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:

It goes like this:

Except that many R's - the ones to which I was referring - think that benefits should not be given to anyone.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM

23,164 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to pay federal income tax, as long as it's fairly apportioned to us and those making much more than us. I'd be even more willing to pay if the loopholes the rich use are sewn tightly shut.
Loopholes for just the rich??
OK...let's pretend all "loopholes" including all targeted deductions, such as mortgage interest,personal deductions per number of dependants, etc....they're all gone.
Now, just who.....not generalized 'disabled,old people and children'....just which ones under what circumstances should be supported by a government check and why?
And to what degree or standard of living?
Better play devil's advocate before replying to be sure there's not a better answer.

Oh....and make it easier on yourself....take 'em one at a time, if you want. Only a very few on C-D writes extensive dissertations and few expect one.

Last edited by old_cold; 12-10-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,158,797 times
Quote:
Folks, please read these posts carefully. Then I beseech you to understand that these words are the ramblings of someone who does not understand the state of many of her fellow Americans. Someone who does not understand the plight of the poor, the elderly, children, the disabled and the working poor. Finally, I ask you to not listen to this fallacious propaganda and instead seek out the information yourselves. You will be surprised (pleasantly, in an odd way) to see that your fellow Americans are not the bloodsucking lazy leeches that many R's would have you believe they are.
Wow. Who died and made you God? You know NOTHING of my personal life and your personal attack is shameful. Nor is it my responsibility to share private information about my family with some brainwashed, Marxist "useful idiot" on an Internet message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies