Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
He used the right word according to common sense and standard English. Those who think it's "wrong" are as illiterate and paranoid as the people who fired him.
So what you're gonna do is try and say that you've actually heard someone use that word in normal conversation, right? Go ahead and tell that fib.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I have to say, I have never used nor heard of that word before today.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:37 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what you're gonna do is try and say that you've actually heard someone use that word in normal conversation, right? Go ahead and tell that fib.

"WAIT, WAIT, I said ni66ardly NOT ni66erly"!!!!!..too late.
I'm not endorsing violence but sometimes common sense over rides an extensive vocabulary of rarely used words.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Notice how you didn't deny that you'd never heard anyone use it in conversation either. Even you couldn't bring yourself to tell that lie.

No one uses the word. I know it, you know it, the END.
I have both heard and used the word myself.
I was, at one time, a good friend and assistant to a Senior Regent's English teacher and a lot of our social crowd consisted of teachers.
I'm sure we commonly used a lot of words you aren't familiar with.
Seldom ,however, was one of them "liar" , which you seem happy to use indiscriminately.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have both heard and used the word myself.
I was, at one time, a good friend and assistant to a Senior Regent's English teacher and a lot of our social crowd consisted of teachers.
I'm sure we commonly used a lot of words you aren't familiar with.
Seldom ,however, was one of them "liar" , which you seem happy to use indiscriminately.
Yep. I use it when it's appropriate. Like right now. No one uses that word, and you've never heard anyone use it either. At best, you've seen it in text, and looked it up.

Look, we can keep going in these circles, but the bottom line is that no one uses that word, and in making your claim that people do use it, you went back to some time when you were an assistant to so and so back in prehistoric times. That's really just more ammunition to make my point that the word simply isn't used.

Did you hear someone use it yesterday? Last week? Two months ago? Nope.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yep. I use it when it's appropriate. Like right now. No one uses that word, and you've never heard anyone use it either. At best, you've seen it in text, and looked it up.

Look, we can keep going in these circles, but the bottom line is that no one uses that word, and in making your claim that people do use it, you went back to some time when you were an assistant to so and so back in prehistoric times. That's really just more ammunition to make my point that the word simply isn't used.

Did you hear someone use it yesterday? Last week? Two months ago? Nope.
We won't keep going back and forth since the bottom line is that a discussion is fruitless when it's with someone that will label another a liar , not from knowledge, but just because of their own shortcomings .
Ta ta

Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
...sometimes common sense over rides an extensive vocabulary of rarely used words.
^ This.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
He used the right word according to common sense and standard English. Those who think it's "wrong" are as illiterate and paranoid as the people who fired him.
Only thing is...there are a lot of ignorant and illiterate people around. Apparently the entire world is supposed to "dumb down" to their level of vocabulary.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Only thing is...there are a lot of ignorant and illiterate people around. Apparently the entire world is supposed to "dumb down" to their level of vocabulary.
It seems that schools have done it. I guess we probably need to follow suit.
It appears to be the goal, both educationally and economically, to make the lower common denominator become the norm.
Reaching up is more difficult than slouching.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It seems that schools have done it. I guess we probably need to follow suit.
It appears to be the goal, both educationally and economically, to make the lower common denominator become the norm.
Reaching up is more difficult than slouching.
The "N" word also means a hindrance. Try using that and see how it works out for you? Does the concept of using common sense when speaking not compute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies