Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I remember reading that, years ago, 1 in 3 people didn't live long enough to retire and half of the ones who did, died within a year of retiring. The system was set up to fund 1 in 3 people. There have to be major changes to the system if it is to survive.
If Medicare is not significantly reformed in the in very near future, it's likely 2/3 will not be around long enough to realize much of the Social Security benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Exactly. The average age of Americans life expectancy in the 1930s was around 63-66 years old.

These days the average American can expect to live until ages 75-80.

Factory in more and more American applying for 1. Disability plus more and more Americans filing for early (reduced) social security benefits at age 62, one can easily see why we have or will have major problems funding social security.
It was 59 the year Social Security was created and about 10 years before Penicillin first became available. Prior to this, people routinely died from a simple absessed tooth.

The primary reason why SS is a tad of a challenge is that funds were never earmarked as "Do Not Open till 65". Instead, funds were invested in treasuries and created more money for Government to spend, while leaving IOUs in the box. This is what Obama inherited from prior administrations. It's an easy fix compared to Medicare.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not every America is average and those who don't live until retirement age lose every cent they paid in. Longevity is correlated with income and it's the working class that's getting screwed.

Oh, and life expectancy is declining for working class white Americans.

Life Expectancy Decreases For Least-Educated Whites

Die early, the middle class needs your Social Security 'contributions'.
There is a huge actuarial correlation between edeucation and longevity. People with less education tend to maintain less healthy lifestyles and avoid going to the doctor because they don't want to hear it or know.

Best guess on my part is that more than half of the so-called middle class do not havea college degree.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is a huge actuarial correlation between edeucation and longevity. People with less education tend to maintain less healthy lifestyles and avoid going to the doctor because they don't want to hear it or know.

Best guess on my part is that more than half of the so-called middle class do not havea college degree.

There's also a correlation between education and income. Educated people with low incomes probably don't lead lives as healthy as educated people with high income - anecdotally. I live a high-stress life (always worrying about money and the high expectations placed on me by my family) and when money is tight I go for the cheap carbs instead of a healthy diet. I doubt the educated poor live as long as the uneducated rich but the MSM doesn't report those numbers.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

What I wanna know is. HowTF do those undereducated people make all that money?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
What I wanna know is. HowTF do those undereducated people make all that money?
Because they have skillz you don't get from no fancy degree!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because they have skillz you don't get from no fancy degree!

Jeepers, creepers, where'd they get those...skills? Not much skill gained from flipping burgers.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Jeepers, creepers, where'd they get those...skills? Not much skill gained from flipping burgers.
LOLZ. I don't think burger flippers are middle class, but go work out on an oil rig for a few years and you'll be middle class as long as you don't spend your money like a drunken sailor. Plenty of well paying jobs that most people don't want to do or most people can't do.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Not to mention people with skills and no formal college education who can weld, be a plumber, electrician, etc.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LOLZ. I don't think burger flippers are middle class, but go work out on an oil rig for a few years and you'll be middle class as long as you don't spend your money like a drunken sailor. Plenty of well paying jobs that most people don't want to do or most people can't do.

Of course not...what I meant is, "burger flippers don't gain skills on the job, so how do middle class workers gain skills on the job?" Very few people actually work on oil rigs. (My landlord does work on an oil rig...he re-roofed the house in two days. He's got skills.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies