Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have Sunday closing (Blue Law) in the U.S.?
Yes, nationwide 6 9.09%
Only up to individual cities/counties/states 16 24.24%
No 44 66.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

no its wrong to have them close

I dont want to be inconvenienced by them being closed on sunday, or early wednesday for bible study

I think obama should mandate ALL establishments be open 24/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I work in a 24/7 industry, we don't get holidays or weekends unless we work in the office and even then we're still on call.

I'm scheduled to work both Christmas and New Years this year and it doesn't bother me in the least. I also work normally Sat-Tues and am planning to pickup a few hours at a part time job for my other days off to pad the ole nest egg.

I'd be pretty irritated if someone told me I wasn't allowed to work on a certain day.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Why not instead just mandate that each American employee be given 1 day off out of every 7? I don't think any employer would object to such a law because none I know of schedule employees 7 days a week.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Why not instead just mandate that each American employee be given 1 day off out of every 7? I don't think any employer would object to such a law because none I know of schedule employees 7 days a week.
And if the employee wants to work 7 days? I've done it multiple times. What if the employee has two or more jobs?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
No, it's the local community (residents and workers) that wants the blue laws of the reasons I gave. Did you read them?
In your OP, you stated you wanted to keep religion or religious beliefs out of the discussion, and I don't think you can logically do that.

In our travels of years past, we found states like South Dakota prohibited beer/wine/liquor sales on sundays.

When I lived in Kansas City, Missouri many years ago, they also had the blue law, no beer/wine/liquor, and nobody was allowed to purchase anything other than food items.

If these "blue laws" aren't or weren't based on christianity, what would they be based upon? Or, would you call it a law based on "just because we want it that way"?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And if the employee wants to work 7 days? I've done it multiple times. What if the employee has two or more jobs?
The employee would not be allowed to work 7 days. It is not healthly. The law would apply to the position and not the employee so if you had 2 jobs you could work the other one 6 days a week too.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I'm often asked to work 7-8 days straight, and I work for a public institution... anything over my scheduled 4-5 days is optional, though, so I only accept when I'm feeling broke (which is often, LOL).

Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Why is every thread you make about your pathetic excuse for "Christian" persecution Nunnor? Get over it already. We get it, you want a theocracy. You are no better than Muslims who want Sharia law here. You're not going to get what you want, so find something worthwhile to waste your time on.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Sunday closing (Blue laws) are type of laws in the U.S. where the government restrict Sunday shopping for many reasons. Having a day of rest in this stressful, busy, and long working hours is great for all citizens. Everybody deserves a day of rest and break from work (including retailers) who often forcibly work long hours, often during evening/overnight, and on weekends with minimum wage. Having a day off from work is great for retailers, because they are guaranteed a day off from work with no worrying about working on Sunday, being able to spend time with family/friends, may want to attend religious service, or just basically rest.
Everyone else still benefits with blue laws, because there will virtually be no traffic, no congested roads, no pollution, no extra pay for security/police officers, no noise, less crime, less stress, and quiet and peaceful day. Small business owners also benefits from this, because they all deserves a day of rest, and not worry about competition from large chain stores. However, absolutely necessary places like food places and pharmacies should remain open by their choice.

Malls and stores still are open for very long hours anyway rest of the week, and it just requires planning. If Sunday is absolutely the only day you could shop (stores are only open for limited hours anyway), then perhaps you need to change a job. Retail employees should NOT be treated differently from non-retailers, and this has been a controversial recently when some big chains opened on Thanksgiving evening for the first time ever for "Black Friday", and took away the holiday from the employees because they were forced to work!

Sunday closings are working well in many countries across Europe and other parts of the world, and everybody benefits from it. Few places in the U.S. having blue laws all love it, and voted to keep it. It used to be this almost all over the nation.
PS: Religion has nothing to do with this, because Christians are allowed to work and shop on Sundays, otherwise most of America would have been shut down. This is all for secular reasons, and it has been constitutional.
No.

They are idiotic. When I first moved to Vermont they had blue laws. You could buy food on Sundays but not toilet paper. Leave it up to the business owner to decide when they want to be open for busines or not.

As for the bolded section above, it is just plain incorrect. Sunday closings are being eliminated in many parts of Europe because they are idiotic and discriminatory. What about religions that do not have a pariticular day of the week desingated as a day of rest? What about religions that have a different day of rest (for example Jews) who are then forced to close their businesses for not one but two days a week?

It's a relic and I am glad it is disappearing.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Improper restrictions

Any law that restricts an employer’s right to exploit their workers or a retailers right to sell anything at any time to anyone obviously violate America's primary religion - MAMMONISM. A citizen’s day should be 8 hours at work, 8 hours of watching advertizing and 8 hours of shopping. Obviously sleep is interfering with business and must be eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies