Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It isn't a straw man. It is an honest point made concerning the subtle approaches of conditioning to thought and acceptance. Now you can certainly make the argument that this is not guaranteed to happen, but to claim there is no concern of such occurring is specifically ignoring a legitimate possible outcome.
Yes it is a strawman. To not talk about this issue specifically and to say that something that may or may not happen in 10 years is the basis for your argument is a strawman. I can't debate a prediction of the future that has no basis in the argument.

Putting forward a fake argument to deflect the original is called a strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes it is a strawman. To not talk about this issue specifically and to say that something that may or may not happen in 10 years is the basis for your argument is a strawman. I can't debate a prediction of the future that has no basis in the argument.

Putting forward a fake argument to deflect the original is called a strawman argument.
So in 10 years then lament the changes ?

There's plenty "what if" arguments to be made on this subject.

And there's plenty of history to show that sometimes what a people think they are going to get doesn't turn out that way and more harm than good results.

You can't predict the future but you should look at all possible outcomes, even ones you consider outrageous because you don't know what society will be like in 10 years.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So in 10 years then lament the changes ?

There's plenty "what if" arguments to be made on this subject.

And there's plenty of history to show that sometimes what a people think they are going to get doesn't turn out that way and more harm than good results.

You can't predict the future but you should look at all possible outcomes, even ones you consider outrageous because you don't know what society will be like in 10 years.
No, the argument was made, without justification, that putting children on RFID monitor at school will somehow make them accept that when they become adults.

This is a ridiculous argument. My dad gave me curfews, and other restrictions when I was a teen, and guess what? I ignored the **** out of them when I became an adult and did whatever I damn well wanted.

Its a strawman argument with no basis in this thread.

So again, whats wrong in a public school with the school monitoring what your child does from 8AM through 3PM when they get out?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
No, the argument was made, without justification, that putting children on RFID monitor at school will somehow make them accept that when they become adults.

This is a ridiculous argument. My dad gave me curfews, and other restrictions when I was a teen, and guess what? I ignored the **** out of them when I became an adult and did whatever I damn well wanted.

Its a strawman argument with no basis in this thread.

So again, whats wrong in a public school with the school monitoring what your child does from 8AM through 3PM when they get out?
Well it will. That is simple conditioning.

It's the adults that balk at it. The older you get the harder it is to accept change.
And it's quite easy to condition kids and takes very little time.

Classical conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Well it will. That is simple conditioning.

It's the adults that balk at it. The older you get the harder it is to accept change.
And it's quite easy to condition kids and takes very little time.

Classical conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again, parents try and condition their kids, put restrictions on their behavior, etc. Doesn't mean that RFID will be accepted as an adult. You have no proof, and it can't be debated because you're putting forward a prediction of something in the future with no factual backing that up.

Its like trying to debate that the end of the world won't happen on 12/21, until the day comes and goes without incident, there really is no debating someone who believes it, even though there is no real factual data to support such a claim.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:

No, a straw man is taking your opponents argument, then changing it in order to easily be able to counter it (ie knock it down). What you are implying is a slippery slope fallacy, but... the conditions of such to be a fallacy requires that the steps have no reasonable likelihood of occurring, or that the argument of its support does not contain valid explanations of such a progression.

This argument is not a slippery slope because the supports to the steps are validly supported both logically and historically. The likelihood of such a progression of outcome while not "certain" is reasonably supported.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Gawd...another tin hat conspiracy theory.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Again, parents try and condition their kids, put restrictions on their behavior, etc. Doesn't mean that RFID will be accepted as an adult. You have no proof, and it can't be debated because you're putting forward a prediction of something in the future with no factual backing that up.
There is no definitive that such conditioning of behavior will result in support as an adult, it is however more likely to be the case though. To claim such does not have any weight would be to disregard a large portion of evidential result from parenting, conditioning, brainwashing, etc... that have been validated throughout history to have a strong influence on raising the young.

Quote:
Its like trying to debate that the end of the world won't happen on 12/21, until the day comes and goes without incident, there really is no debating someone who believes it, even though there is no real factual data to support such a claim.
I don't think that anyone is arguing an end of the world (least I missed such if they did). What people are arguing is that such conditioned mentality promotes acceptance of certain aspects of society. It is a seed of suggestion, of acceptance, of tolerance that eventually compounds if subtly continued. That is why cultures differ greatly at times. How they raise, teach, and build acceptance of concepts with their youth establishes the cultural shifts to which they accept as adults. As I said, it isn't an absolute, it is however strongly supported in occurrence through numerous examples of history.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Being groped and xrayed at the airport like a common criminal is perfectly acceptable today.

Tell that to someone 15 years ago that you'd be frisked before getting on a plane and they would laugh at you at the absurdity of it.
Or tell a 20 year old that once upon a time you could come and go at the airport and go right up to the boarding door with your family to say goodbye. You'd get a "No way..." from them like I did from my son (21).

Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Quote:
Being groped and xrayed at the airport like a common criminal is perfectly acceptable today.
I've been flying a lot lately, haven't been groped once.

Got xrayed plenty, but if that is treating someone like a criminal then so are metal detectors. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies