Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,378,576 times

Advertisements

Just heard a story on the news about how gun sales are up (again) after President Obama was re-elected. Expect more stories like this to appear in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,266,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's just plain funny. Lying in wait in his own basement, minding his own business.

What did you expect him to do? Run through the house with his hair on fire?

Lying in wait................/sigh
Well, what would YOU have done. Sat back down with a tarped corpse and waited, or would you have called the police while keeping your eyes peeled in case there was a second person. As I recall, he had a few minutes between executions, so what should he have done? Please read for comprehension rather than emotion this time, thanks.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,428,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yeah ... amazing isn't it? Apparently we all need to adopt the "Queensbury Rules" of victimhood .... curl up in a fetal position clutching your ObamaPhone ... dial 911 and wait 30 minutes while the criminals safely have their way with you. It's only fair, right? It's shameful to stalk criminals in your own home for goodness sake ... exercise some decency ... criminals are people too, and they have rights and feelings like anyone esle, damn it!

What's this world coming to when a decent burglar just exercising his chosen profession can't safely rob and pillage a home, without fear of being accosted by some nut home owner with a gun.
There...did that feel good?

Now maybe you can set aside the wild hyperbole and face facts, such as this one:

You have the right to defend yourself anywhere with lethal force against assailants who threaten your safety.
You DO NOT have the right to kill people who are not/are no longer posing a threat to your safety.

Your justification for lethal force ONLY extends to the period when you sense that you are in acute danger, not the part where you think that the punk deserves to be "finished off."

See the difference? Do you finally get it now??

Sigh...didn't think so...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM

14,973 posts, read 8,570,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
AGAIN - we don't know that he had eight previous burglaries. There is ONE on record as having been reported.

Just because his brother said there were eight doesn't make it true.

Why are you so willing to just assume there were eight break-ins based on the words of people who are trying to justify the cold-blooded EXECUTION of two people? They have every reason to lie and to make his situation sound more desperate than it might really have been.

Why are people so willing to accept that as truth when there is no evidence to support it?
Why are you so willing to consider it false? And better yet, why are you so concerned about criminal intruders? What caused you to develop your misplaced priorities? Do you not realize that there are thousands upon thousands of such cases of criminal home invaders murdering the occupants so they cannot identify them to authorities afterward? Old ladies raped and murdered .... children abducted .... people tortured to reveal hidden wealth? Do you not understand that those who are so bold as to break into your home while you are there are just as likely to slit your throat as to say hello? What is wrong with you people? Why can you not reach the simple conclusion that if you don't want a gun stuck under your chin and the trigger pulled, DON'T BREAK INTO OTHER PEOPLE'S HOMES !!! It's as simple as that .... don't want to get shot robbing people ... STOP ROBBING PEOPLE. This is as simple a concept as water being wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Nobody (including myself) is saying he didn't have the right to protect himself. It's what he did AFTER he had them incapacitated that is sick and disturbing.
Maybe so .... but it's also sick and disturbing when you have cold blooded criminals who will kick in your door and murder you for your TV or jewelry, and you have to assume that is what they intend to do to you when you are confronted by such brazen criminal types. More often than not, they are not going to just leave and allow you to identify them. Consequently, you don't owe them, nor do they deserve the more gentle treatment you seem to insist they are due.

Why don't you read a little about the gruesome things that have been done to innocent people in their own homes. Check out the Manson clan and what they did to their victims. Read about the people who have been raped and tortured by these defectives. When you have a single perpetrator, maybe incapacitation would be a safe solution ... but when you have multiple perpetrators ... and if there are two, there could be 4 or 6 ... you have no way of knowing .... you don't have the luxury of mercy and compassion ... you don't know if after the first sound of gunfire, three more intruders won't storm in with guns blazing.

There are two home invaders no longer able to invade other people's homes ... and that seems to sadden you. That is also a bit disturbing.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,857,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
First degree murder has at its core, premeditation. I doubt the man thought about this as it was going down, much less plotted it before hand. Your response is overwrought hyperbole.
Premeditation does not require a long period of thought, When he walked up to that girl, put a gun under her chin and pulled the trigger that was a premeditated act.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM

14,973 posts, read 8,570,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There...did that feel good?

Now maybe you can set aside the wild hyperbole and face facts, such as this one:

You have the right to defend yourself anywhere with lethal force against assailants who threaten your safety.
You DO NOT have the right to kill people who are not/are no longer posing a threat to your safety.

Your justification for lethal force ONLY extends to the period when you sense that you are in acute danger, not the part where you think that the punk deserves to be "finished off."

See the difference? Do you finally get it now??

Sigh...didn't think so...
You are in my home without permission. I must assume you to mean to do harm to me. The authorities will be searching for days, trying to locate all of your scattered pieces. Now do you get it?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,266,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Premeditation does not require a long period of thought, When he walked up to that girl, put a gun under her chin and pulled the trigger that was a premeditated act.
That's how I've always heard it; I have a feeling the charges might be upgraded, once the investigation is finished. He explained his reasoning (ending her suffering), which screams premeditation. Euthanasia is also considered first degree murder, I think, because of the premeditation factor.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM

9,134 posts, read 5,787,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

If you have the time to blast them in the chest..they most likely you have the time to destroy their legs..

The criminal's career will be hard to conduct in the future from a wheel chair.

They can retire from their criminal career after they sue the pants off of you.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,428,405 times
Quote:
You are in my home without permission. I must assume you to mean to do harm to me. The authorities will be searching for days, trying to locate all of your scattered pieces. Now do you get it?
First of all, drop the tough guy bull****. It's old, ok? All I keep hearing is "ME BIG MAN! ME KEEEL YOU!" Let's reason like grown-ups instead. One more time:

When someone invades your house, you can deploy lethal force in the time period during which when there is reasonable belief that your safety is at risk. That period begins when you spot them until the time when they are either killed or incapacitated, whichever comes first. Fire as many shots as you like (I know this part is a fantasy for a lot of people on here).

But once the intruder happens to already be clearly incapacitated, you are no longer under a reasonable belief that your safety is at risk -to at least not in the eyes of a jury. So that means that you can't just do whatever you like. You can't execute them gangster style. Or, for instance, torture them extensively before "finishing them off" - no jury is going to believe that you had to take those actions at that time to save yourself. Your legal course of action at that point is to call the paramedics/cops and let the courts take it from there. If you decide to embark on the path of malicious vigilantism after the threat ends, then you are putting yourself into a situation where you will be held liable - even if it's someone who broke into your home - whether you like it or not.

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited by ambient; 11-29-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,690,210 times
Quote:

Wow.

Less than a week after the Hurricane that hit the Jersey Shore, my bestfriend (who is 5 months pregnant) was helping her in laws move some of their stuff out of their Mantoloking (a shore community) house and heard some noises from the house next door. She assumed the elderly man next door must have left his dog, and she entered his home WITHOUT his permission, to save it. Turns out it was actually the old man himself. She saved him by illegally entering his home.

You would have shot her, for her concern.

Downright neighborly of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies