Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because individuals and companies are two different things. People seem to not grasp this concept AT ALL.
So, the natural laws of economy only apply to individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is my example of trickle down.
The more I make, the more people I can hire to do stuff for me, the more upgrades I can make around the house, etc, etc, etc. When I make less, those are the people who go. What is my other choice? I am not going to compromise my savings rate (ie, my personal profit - what I pay myself) just to keep them around.
Nor will a business.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Do you profit from your gardener (based on the labor of said laborer)?
Yes. It frees me up to earn.

My time is better spent earning than cutting my lawn.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?
They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?
It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.
I wouldn't say that when a homeowner has to cut services in order to save money that they do so without regard. No one likes to let a landscaper go, a pool service go or anyone else who works for you go without feeling bad about it. I truly believe that SOME companies also feel bad when they let people go. I have been "let go" from different jobs due to the economy and the whole process was gut wrenching for both sides.

What is the bigger shame is that having worked my whole entire life and most of it being a single parent with little or no child support I am now on Social Security which isn't a whole hell of a lot of money and just recently the government started taking close to $100.00 back from my social security. Yup...they are now charging me that $100.00 for my Medicare...oh, I also had to pick up a supplemental insurance which is $119.00 a month. So..who feels bad about that? My monthly stipend has now been reduced to UNDER $1,000 a month. Contrary to what folks think about Social Security and all this Baby Boomer Bashing...we don't end up with a hell of a lot to live on.

So...if companies are trying to survive out there by letting people go, and homeowners are doing the same thing then perhaps that homeowner is a BOOMER just being able to keep their head above the water!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
So, the natural laws of economy only apply to individuals?
As I said, individuals and business are different. I know you and others want to personify corporations and such to benefit certain people but the fact of the matter is that they ARE different entities with different responsibilities, needs, goals, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I wouldn't say that when a homeowner has to cut services in order to save money that they do so without regard. No one likes to let a landscaper go, a pool service go or anyone else who works for you go without feeling bad about it. I truly believe that SOME companies also feel bad when they let people go. I have been "let go" from different jobs due to the economy and the whole process was gut wrenching for both sides.

What is the bigger shame is that having worked my whole entire life and most of it being a single parent with little or no child support I am now on Social Security which isn't a whole hell of a lot of money and just recently the government started taking close to $100.00 back from my social security. Yup...they are now charging me that $100.00 for my Medicare...oh, I also had to pick up a supplemental insurance which is $119.00 a month. So..who feels bad about that? My monthly stipend has now been reduced to UNDER $1,000 a month. Contrary to what folks think about Social Security and all this Baby Boomer Bashing...we don't end up with a hell of a lot to live on.

So...if companies are trying to survive out there by letting people go, and homeowners are doing the same thing then perhaps that homeowner is a BOOMER just being able to keep their head above the water!
Where did Americans get the mindset that medical care should be free?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As I said, individuals and business are different. I know you and others want to personify corporations and such to benefit certain people but the fact of the matter is that they ARE different entities with different responsibilities, needs, goals, etc.
No they're not.

The laws of economy exist whether you're an individual, small business or a corporation.

When income slips, people cut back.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
When does an individual miraculously shape-shift into a company?
Don't you remember, Romney said corporations are people.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?

They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?

It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.
I agree with you.

If you're talking about hostess, you need to remember during the last strike they called wolf saying they would shut down. That never happened, so this time the union didn't buy the argument. And remember, some of these are giving CEOs big bonuses, so there is a disconnect.

But I agree, if a company has to he rid of a union that doesn't make them immoral, its also not immoral for employees to demand more from a company they feel is profiting to much without good pay.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Where did Americans get the mindset that medical care should be free?
No we believe it should be affordable and available to everyone regardless of income level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies