Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why are we talking about the war that JFK and Lyndon Johnson dragged us into?
Like it or not that war continues to affect many people today.

And it does serve to highlight our stupidity in failing to learn what pure folly it is to attempt fighting someone else's war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I was in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive FWIW.
That was a horrendous time. Thank you for your service.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That was a horrendous time. Thank you for your service.
I can't accept the thanks due to combat veterans of that war. I was a civilian in Vietnam. Your consideration for them is admirable and shared by me. I witnessed remarkable acts of courage, dedication, and sacrifice which will stay with me for life.

Last edited by Bideshi; 11-28-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
I was a civilian in Vietnam.
I was aware that was a possibility but I took a guess. Thanks for letting us know. I was in school during Tet and the news day after day was one horrible thing after another. (With the KIA lists in the local paper listing more and more names.)

Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
LBJ was president from November 1963 to January 1969. That doesn't equal 10 years or even 2 full terms... Among other things.
I stand corrected...... 6 years 2 JFK didn't serve and 4 of his own. I forgot he didn't want to run for the second term....... never the less he increased WAR in SV

Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It was a national disgrace that the United States invaded a sovereign country that had neither attacked nor threatened the United States or its interests.

It was a national disgrace that the United States used napalm and more tons of bombs on the people of Vietnam than were dropped in all of World War II.

It was a national disgrace that United States forces tortured native Vietnamese and conducted massacres like My Lai.

It was a national disgrace that the hero of My Lai had to wait thirty years for recognition for what he did.
1. It is in the interests of the United States that the world not become communist.

2. It was war. We should have used more napalm and more bombs.

3. True.

4. True.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,706 times
Quote:
You clearly have no idea about the Vietnam War.
After the French withdrew and the country was arbitrarily split in half, the CIA facilitated the relocation of ~1 million ethic Tonkins to the south, mostly to the Mekong Delta area. Large #s of them were flown or shipped south on CIA planes and boats. Problem was there weren't sufficient resources in the area for that influx of population. Many of the local Cochins were displaced by the Tonkins who were favored by Diem's regime. Those Cochins would raid Tonkin-controlled villages for food and other resources or try to force the Tonkins out of those villages that were once their own. The CIA, eager to get the USA engaged against the communist North, over-sold this local struggle for basic necessities of survival as a "communist insurgency" sponsored by the North. The CIA encouraged the Diem government to react accordingly. They provided the "military advisors" who would lead the ARVN troops in retaliatory missions. The harsh reprisals created more contempt for the Diem government. Before long, a group of people who would have generally preferred just to live in their villages in peace were turned into the thing the CIA wanted the to be; anti-Diem insurgents who were willing to work with the North. And the CIA was one step closer to its hell-bent goal of getting the USA fully engaged in combat in Vietnam.

Last edited by madpaddy; 11-29-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
Finally, why did US help South Korea until the end, but not South Vietnam ?
It could easily be argued that we might not have been able to sustain our support for South Korea if the media environment in the early 50's was like it was in the late 60's (i.e. color news footage of bloody 19 year old kids being slung into helicopters beamed into America's living rooms nightly). Also, Korea was essentially a conventional war, uniformed armies against uniformed armies. Viet Nam was a hybrid with a large insurgency/counterinsurgency component. The latter type of conflict lends itself to a prolonged engagement, especially when one of the sides is an external element. If Korea had drug on for another several years eventually there would come a point where the political pressure to cut-and-run became overwhelming. Fortunately for South Korea, we were able to force a durable stalemate before we got there.

Last edited by madpaddy; 11-29-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
We were attacked by the navy of North Vietnam.
Allegedly.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
1. It is in the interests of the United States that the world not become communist.

2. It was war. We should have used more napalm and more bombs.

3. True.

4. True.
HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED A SINGLE DAMN THING ABOUT THE COMMIES?

The only way commies come to power is if the poor majority are pissed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies