Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Amending the Constitution to put the Blacks back into slavery was never on the table for debate.
Oh for god's sake is the only way that you can form an argument is on the ridiculous extremes of the question?

There are one thousand and one laws, policies and issues that existed between the passage of the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which are as important to minority communities as fracking slavery particularly when you at the least two prominent Republicans over the last year speaking opening about their principled opposition to the Civil Rights Act, the return of legalized voter suppression, and describing those people as leaches upon society.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just looked at another thread about conservatives calling African-Americans dumb for voting for President Obama. What I have asked is this: What incentive has the Republican Party, since 1968, given to African-Americans to vote for a Republican candidate?
The choice was between getting more government handouts and having a chance to make it on their own with a job. What smart person would prefer government handouts to being able to make it on your own with a job? If they never want to make it on their own they will never vote Republican. Evidently there are many people in this country that would prefer the government to control their lives rather than to be given a chance to live their lives independently.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:34 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you voted for Romney, you are a racist.
If you didn't vote for Obama, you are a racist.
Who ever believes a word of what you wrote is quite foolish...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The choice was between getting more government handouts and having a chance to make it on their own with a job. What smart person would prefer government handouts to being able to make it on your own with a job? If they never want to make it on their own they will never vote Republican. Evidently there are many people in this country that would prefer the government to control their lives rather than to be given a chance to live their lives independently.
First of all, most Blacks are not receiving government handouts. Most Blacks that I know, who voted for President Obama, have jobs. My father is an educated Black man, who works in engineering, and he voted for President Obama. He hates the idea of being on welfare, but believes it should be there, just in case. Explain the Black people who have jobs, who aren't relying on the government for money. Explain why those particular Black people voted for President Obama, or other Democratic candidates. You don't know every Black voter.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh for god's sake is the only way that you can form an argument is on the ridiculous extremes of the question?

There are one thousand and one laws, policies and issues that existed between the passage of the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which are as important to minority communities as fracking slavery particularly when you at the least two prominent Republicans over the last year speaking opening about their principled opposition to the Civil Rights Act, the return of legalized voter suppression, and describing those people as leaches upon society.
Among them, Rick Perry.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/conne...he-2153469.php
http://www.examiner.com/article/texa...ts-act-of-1965

Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Fear tactics because repeal of the 14th amendment was not on the table.

Voter ID laws which effects all voting Americans is legalized voter suppression against Blacks.
Since we didn't repeal the 14th Amendment there was nothing keeping the Blacks from the DMV except their lack of $15. No one fought that the poor Whites or Hispanics couldn't afford $15.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times
Quote:
I just looked at another thread about conservatives calling African-Americans dumb for voting for President Obama. What I have asked is this: What incentive has the Republican Party, since 1968, given to African-Americans to vote for a Republican candidate?
that is an interesting question.

no party should PANDER to any particular group, but should welcome all groups.

the republican party failure, as i see it, isn't that it can't compete with obama claus, but that it has not been able to give poor people a different vision for themselves than as recipients of "government largesse".

i was in the walmart before thanksgiving and i saw a woman who had a bunch of thanksgiving items in her cart (including a turkey) and someone was taking the cart away, and she was paying for a few items left on the counter herself, including dog food. The cashier asked me if i was going to be using food stamps, and i said "no, why?", and she said that it wasn't working at that time so she couldn't take food stamps.

you tell me that people want this for their vision of their lives? the failure of the republicans is that they haven't actually done anything to help people (not just blacks either) to realize their own dreams and help them get training, skills, or networking to live those dreams.

we can see by the democratic controlled cities (for generations) that they don't know how to make the lives of the poor better, or don't care to, but that doesn't seem to stop people from voting for them-maybe because they just can't visualize the alternative.

we need a new party, free of media stereotyping, to get people to wake up and listen-and maybe they don't have to "hate the american dream" because they can be part of it.

we also need a vibrant messenger so that people are receptive to the message.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
NCN

Why do we need to HELP people with their dreams? What should they need beyond the freedom to work hard and do for themselves? I think the idea that a person cannot work hard and get the American dream for themselves is an insult to every American. My father started out a sharecropper and worked hard sometimes on two jobs at the same time and when he went to his heavenly reward he had accumulated 170 acres of land. And he and my mother did that. The government certainly did not do that for him.

The only thing the constitution requires the government to do is to keep us safe so we can do for ourselves. The problem is that this government administration does not realize what its job should be. We are a confused people in America.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First, LBJ did not pass the Civil Rights Act, Congress did. Second, the Civil Rights Act would never have passed Congress had it not been for Republicans. The majority of Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act, with Senator "KKK" Byrd giving a 14 hour filibuster in order to try to prevent the measure from coming up for a vote.

If you think blacks cast their vote for the bigotted Democrats of the 1960s for the Civil Rights Act, then you are obviously not very bright. Blacks cast their vote based upon who will give them more of other people's money, and that has always been the Democrats since the 1910s.

It is very obvious, based upon their voting record, that blacks would prefer to rob the treasury than obtain liberty or do what is best for the nation, and there are plenty of Democrats willing to rob taxpayer's blind to stay in power at all costs, the nation be damned.
That has got to be one of the most ignorant post I've read in a long time! Your patronizing tone is indicative of someone who doesn't know ONE THING about black folk! Not one thing. To start black people vote their interest [not because a magical white man gives them handouts]. We in California actually pay more into federal taxes then we receive, don't cha know... I'm not sure what the handouts are like in Wasilla [source of the worst VP pick in history]... But the black folk I socialize with don't live off other people's money...

Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM
NCN

Quote:
First of all, most Blacks are not receiving government handouts. Most Blacks that I know, who voted for President Obama, have jobs. My father is an educated Black man, who works in engineering, and he voted for President Obama. He hates the idea of being on welfare, but believes it should be there, just in case. Explain the Black people who have jobs, who aren't relying on the government for money. Explain why those particular Black people voted for President Obama, or other Democratic candidates. You don't know every Black voter.
Go back and read my first post. I already did. I find it interesting that you are telling me to do something and then telling me I cannot do it because I don't know every black voter. I know that the only reason that 93% of black voters would ever vote for Obama would have to be prejudice. There can be no other reason for that high a percentage to vote for one party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.