Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am not quite there yet, but I will be in a few more years. I am of the same mind. At this point, I really do not care if the nation implodes economically. I have already given up any chance of getting social security or government assistance of any kind, so they will not be taking me with them when everything inevitably collapses.
I'm in too. Your right it is sinking to the Democrats' level of placing politics over the country. Lets do it, either not vote or give democrats what they want and let Obama own it.

I know where I am cutting back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
The American people voted to live in the Democrats' world. A lot of them seem think there's a bottomless well of money and free stuff to be given away, and they want it.

So I say, let's give them what they want.

If Obama wants higher taxes on producers, let's not stand in his way. If he wants more government benefits, let's allow it. If he wants higher energy prices so be it. In short, let's California-ize the U.S. Give Obama everything he wants...And when the economy sinks to new lows, as it surely will, moochers won't be able to mooch anymore. The gravy train will have passed the station.

Reality may be the only thing left to save this country.
They write and phone your representatives and tell them to "quit dragging their feet and stop fighting".

Don't just post HERE.
DO IT!

Ken

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
lets deal with the above and not get into the hyperbole.... I agree with you on what the President wants. Republicans get what the president wants. Here is the problem. We have a trillion dollar problem. raising the rates as you suggest the president wants to raise them is an 82 billion dollar fix for a trillion dollar problem.... provided raising the tax rates on small businesses doesnt lead to an economic slowdown which would in turn lower tax revenue....

but lets just go with zero sum game and pretend that raising tax rates during an economic downturn doesnt hurt the economy.

we get 82 billion more per year in revenue. We have a trillion dollar per year gap between what we are taking in in taxation, and what we are spending.

what next? where does the other 918 Billion dollars PER YEAR come from?
If the deficit and debt are so important, then the Republicans and the segment of the rich who support them and fuel nonsense like Grover Norquist's pledge should be willing to share the sacrifice of fixing the debt. It's funny that 82 billion is a drop in the bucket to GOP boot lickers, but the money spent on things like the NEA are beaten like a drumbeat when the are TRULY a drop in the bucket...in the business world we call them "immaterial". 82 vs 918 Billion is not immaterial. No MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU AND YOUR TALK RADIO/RIGHT WING BLOG HEROES SAY IT.

Next you should come with the "even if we seized all of the income of the top 1% it wouldn't pay off the deficit for one year.."etc regurgitated by the right wing infotainent media daily.

The logic of "well, since 82 billion doesn't=918 Billion, we should just leave the rates where they are because a 2% increase WILL DESTROY THE ECONOMY"...... is completely absent..pure hyperbole.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is why we can't have an effective government..because too many in the electorate are COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL or they are playing this team sports/talk radio game.
We can't have an effective government because we live in a fake country with two sides that hate each other and believe in completely opposite principles. Unfortunately, those two sides are held hostage together by the federal government.

You want an effective government? Split the country into 2 or more separate countries. Until then, things will only get worse.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It never ceases to amaze my how far right wing hyperbole is from the actual facts.

The President is simply asking to change the rates on the wealthy to what they were during Clinton's Presidency.

That's it. A few percent.

Now, from what every nut on this site would have you believe, this is a complete seizure of all income.

GROW UP.

This is why we can't have an effective government..because too many in the electorate are COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL or they are playing this team sports/talk radio game.

We're talking about a couple of percent tax increase nowhere near historical highs, and every bunker dwelling right wing nut on here is making it sound like the country is collapsing.

Step away from the internet blogs, forums, the Glenn Beck, the Limbaugh, the Fox News...have a seat and spend a few days reading something other than Hannity's latest vitriolic release or some conspiracy piece about petro dollars. Wash the brain of all the insanity. When you are capable of realizing that a few percent tax increase is not equivalent to a Stalinist takeover, then come back.
So there's nothing to this talk of a "wealth tax"?
Well, it really doesn't matter as we're all just along for the ride now so buckle up or to quote a bumper sticker "get in,sit down,shut up and hold on".

Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
The American people voted to live in the Democrats' world. A lot of them seem think there's a bottomless well of money and free stuff to be given away, and they want it.
Well, we see the banks and the rich people getting everything they want from Republicans, with government money...

So government is obviously going to spend, and Republicans have proven themselves to be just as wasteful as Democrats. To me the only difference is how they want to distribute government money: trickle up or trickle down. I am morally opposed to trickle down, so it's not a difficult choice anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies