Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The word needs to go out to any Democrats that even think about messing with Medicare and/or Social Security that there will be a price to pay for it and they will face a certain primary challenge if they choose to turn their backs on the middle and working class just to "give the Republicans" something. NO messing with the age and NO messing with the benefits!
Yet another low information voter. And we wonder why this nation is circling the drain?

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
You sound exactly like a Tea Partier!
Not one solution- just anger and empty rhetoric.
Speaking of anger hatred and empty rhetoric....blind accusations too.... pot meet kettle

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Frankly, borrowing over a trillion per year to prop up spending is not going to end well.
When the collapse finally comes, won't a 100% drop in "benefits" be worse than a cutback now?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I'm skeptical that boomers paid more in than they will get out. Where did you read that?

The link I posted cites the date in the 2030s as the point when SS runs out of Treasury debt it purchased (the "borrowing" you refer to.)
Today’s Retirees First to Pay More Into Social Security Than They’ll Get Back – AARP

Sure we're going to run out..Congress took all the surplus and took it every month when FICA had a surplus left over after SS payments.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
The word needs to go out to any Democrats that even think about messing with Medicare and/or Social Security that there will be a price to pay for it and they will face a certain primary challenge if they choose to turn their backs on the middle and working class just to "give the Republicans" something. NO messing with the age and NO messing with the benefits!

Why?

That is a bit like saying on a sinking ship, we can only fix the sections over the water line. Sure, it may help. .but the ship still sinks.

These programs pay out more than take in, and are a drain on the budget. They are also generally not responsible. My dad's merdicare represents know investment from him. He gets pretty rich benefits with little consumer involvement. These plans are fundamental flawed as they do not require you as an individual to take long-term responsibility for your decisions. That needs to change. . . I..e Change Medicare to HSA compatible may be a nice start (2,400 deductible for instance).

Source: CNN money

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People should have spent more time demanding details of how to solve the deficit problem during the campaign instead of social issues.

But they didn't. They were more concerned with their social issues.

And gee..Romney was going to change medicare/SS, not Obama (he was silent on the issue).
The homosexual vote, the athiest vote, the black vote, the pro-choice vote.....

the most willfully ignorant voters.....

They will reap what they sowed...

we all will actually...

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm tired of Republicans protecting the rich from paying higher taxes. I'm tired of Democrats protecting unrealistic entitlement programs.
It is not an unrealistic entitlement program...... the people who worked all their lives paying into it deserve to get their money back

It needs to be reformed though given the fact people live longer...... just raise the age in line with longer life expectancy

Everything in America does not need to be made difficult..... there is always an easy solution based on common sense

Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
The homosexual vote, the athiest vote, the black vote, the pro-choice vote.....

the most willfully ignorant voters.....

They will reap what they sowed...

we all will actually...
And then Obama says he got re-elected with a mandate from the people to tax the rich...
I lol'd at that one.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is exactly what the problem is with this whole process. Every sensible person knows that we need some measure of entitlement reform so that the systems will remain solvent for the foreseeable future.

Now you have the "special interests" on both sides saying that they will politically destroy anyone who goes against their wishes.

The Grover Norquists on one side saying any GOP member daring to agree to an increase in taxes will trigger Grover putting everything he has behind their defeat...now you have people like the OP saying anyone who even sniffs at changing SS or Medicare will be crushed.

When people ask why the government can't get anything done, this is why.

Everyone wants someone else to bear the burden for cleaning up our fiscal issues.
couldn't have said it better myself, but you will just get crickets on this post, and people will just continue to insult the other side and claim they are the ones obstructing government.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
the last thing I want to do is become like the republicans with pledges. I'm not for holding our elected officials hostage and dangling primary challenges and causing even more gridlock than we already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies