Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Should have been violating a posted noise ordinance in a major city at the very least. That fine is $250 a pop for the first offence even in small cities.

Blasting gangsta rap out of the SUV at a filling station isn't exactly what teens do on the right path.

They were egging someone on to challenge them or say something.
so people blaring are rap r thugs now? jaywalking is illegal too so ery jaywalker is a thug too rite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
so people blaring are rap r thugs now? jaywalking is illegal too so ery jaywalker is a thug too rite
So killing a jaywalker is justifiable homicide. Right?

How about people who walk really slowly down the middle of the lane in parking lots? They really tick me off.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So killing a jaywalker is justifiable homicide. Right?

How about people who walk really slowly down the middle of the lane in parking lots? They really tick me off.
werd
this guy must live in some remote hole
round here like ery other car is blastin rap, i guess all these people deserve to die according to him

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I'm assuming the other thread got deleted because it veered off subject but I would still like to watch and discuss the incident as more news comes out so I'm starting a new thread.

So far the facts* as I understand them are:
  • Dunn was at the gas pump while his girlfriend was inside the store
    Davis and his friends were in a SUV playing loud music
    There was an argument that resulted in Dunn shooting the SUV 8 or 9 times
    Dunn left the gas station and went back to the hotel. The next day, after hearing someone had been shot, they left the hotel and went back to their home in Brevard County.

Now Dunn is claiming self-defense. He says he saw a shotgun in the SUV and that the teens motioned they were going to open the door after threatening him.

The authorities say there were no guns found in the vehicle. There were other witnesses at the gas station that wrote down Dunn's tag number as he left the scene.

Here are several articles on the incident...some of them have conflicting details.

Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says

Attorney for suspect in teen's death says client saw shotgun, shot in self-defense

For example, one article says that his girlfriend was in the store at the time of the shooting. Another says the teens threatened his girlfriend...maybe he meant they made a threat about her.

One article says the SUV driver was inside the store, another says that they were trying to back up once the shooting started (but that was stated by the father who wasn't there but getting his info from the other teens).

I don't know how the self-defense angle is going to play out but I for one am wondering how his attorney is going to justify him leaving the scene and then leaving the county and not calling the police.

White man allegedly kills unarmed black teen over loud music; invokes ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
Quick and to the point Mr. Dunn defense is totally shot to pieces he didn't see a shot gun because there was no shot gun in the teenagers SUV says area Law Enforcement Personnel .

Mr. Dunn did not feel the least bit threaten because he was the aggressor from the start of the confrontation to the 9th gun shot fired from his gun at 4 unarmed African American teenagers.

Last but not least the young man that was killed didn't even look like a young African American " Thug " as he was demonized as being by so many Monday Morning arm chair quarterbacks . Give it up Mr. Dunn " your Goose Is Cooked "....!......

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
First of all, there was no reason whatsoever for Dunn to pull his car next to the SUV. If he thought the music was too loud, so what? Park on the other side of the parking lot. It's not as if the gas station was in a residential area and people were trying to sleep. I get very annoyed when someone is listening to loud music that's deafening, but I would never say something if I were only temporarily stopping at a convenient store. It was up to the store manager or local police to so something, that is, if the teens were breaking the law.

Second, the man blasted the vehicle with 8 or 9 bullets and then took off. In fact, if witnesses didn't write down his license number, maybe he would have gotten away with this senseless crime. It was cold-blooded murder. Period.

On another thread about George Zimmerman, I mentioned this story, because I hadn't yet found this discussion. The only reason I compared the 2 is because the attorney is claiming it was self defense. The 2 cases are entirely different, however, except for the "stand your ground" defense. (unless listening to music while Black is a crime in Florida)

Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
First of all, there was no reason whatsoever for Dunn to pull his car next to the SUV. If he thought the music was too loud, so what? Park on the other side of the parking lot. It's not as if the gas station was in a residential area and people were trying to sleep. I get very annoyed when someone is listening to loud music that's deafening, but I would never say something if I were only temporarily stopping at a convenient store. It was up to the store manager or local police to so something, that is, if the teens were breaking the law.

Second, the man blasted the vehicle with 8 or 9 bullets and then took off. In fact, if witnesses didn't write down his license number, maybe he would have gotten away with this senseless crime. It was cold-blooded murder. Period.

On another thread about George Zimmerman, I mentioned this story, because I hadn't yet found this discussion. The only reason I compared the 2 is because the attorney is claiming it was self defense. The 2 cases are entirely different, however, except for the "stand your ground" defense. (unless listening to music while Black is a crime in Florida)
many people seem to think that it is and not only in fl

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The gun issue is not relevant as to whether or not they had a gun (and I think they did have one). What is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable FEAR of being harmed. He requested that they turn down their garbage rap. They proceeded to cuss and threaten his physical safety. They began to open the doors to the vehicle was in. 4 thug teenagers. This is enough to make a reasonable person think that they are in grave danger. It sure as hell would make me think so. And under Stand Your Ground, if you reasonably feel you are about to be harmed, you may use deadly force.
What makes a person think this way is beyond my comprehension, and I have a very analytical mind. Oh, I know. They're Black teenagers, so they must be thugs. They're sitting in a car listening to music, so they apparently had guns in the car. He thought he was in "grave danger" because they exchanged a few words.

Sure, that's why he just took off, didn't call the cops and then hid when the news reported that a teenager was shot in Jacksonville at a gas station.

Your sentence: "what is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable fear" is true. Yup, that's the law in FL. IMO even if he felt fear, it certainly wasn't reasonable.

Why is it that the people who are "fearful" are always the ones with the loaded guns?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default This has to be one of the Lamest Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Nah, I have several good reasons to doubt these guys were minding their own little business. They were shot at not once, not twice....but like 8 times.

Shooter obviously had "the juice" and was in fear of something.

Tell me...would you dump eight or more rounds into someone (or a target) who just gave you the middle finger? I don't think so.

I think it was a "shotgun".

JMHO
This has to be one of the Lamest Posts that I have come across , first off the bat you don't have " good reason to doubt these guys were minding theirs business " because you were not there to visibly observe what they were doing , leave that up to the witnesses will you.

Why were there 9 shots fired , because a moron was pulling the trigger that's why ( pretty much like Zimmerman ) a complete moron.....

Shooter obviously had " the juice " and was in fear of something...Nope he had the Hate of people that play Rap Music Too Loudly " that's his only Phobia " , but it's not 1920 or 1967 when you can go around cold blooded shooting down innocence un-armed African American for a fantasy ( or better yet A Bold Face Lie ) of them raping a white caucasian woman or doing any other minor thing that you detest ( Quick And In A Hurry Before A Trial ) give them a justified verdict or most of the time find them innocence. I am a 60 years young African American Man who hates Rap Music To or it that ( Too because I really , Really hate it ) , " but I wake up every morning to Put On My Big Boys Pants " and learn how to ignore it and tolerate it until I get out of ear range...everybody got to learn to do like wise.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
This has to be one of the Lamest Posts that I have come across , first off the bat you don't have " good reason to doubt these guys were minding theirs business " because you were not there to visibly observe what they were doing , leave that up to the witnesses will you.

Why were there 9 shots fired , because a moron was pulling the trigger that's why ( pretty much like Zimmerman ) a complete moron.....

Shooter obviously had " the juice " and was in fear of something...Nope he had the Hate of people that play Rap Music Too Loudly " that's his only Phobia " , but it's not 1920 or 1967 when you can go around cold blooded shooting down innocence un-armed African American for a fantasy ( or better yet A Bold Face Lie ) of them raping a white caucasian woman or doing any other minor thing that you detest ( Quick And In A Hurry Before A Trial ) give them a justified verdict or most of the time find them innocence. I am a 60 years young African American Man who hates Rap Music To or it that ( Too because I really , Really hate it ) , " but I wake up every morning to Put On My Big Boys Pants " and learn how to ignore it and tolerate it until I get out of ear range...everybody got to learn to do like wise.
It's not lame at all. He's in trouble for leaving the scene of a shooting. Why he left, I'm not sure. I do know that you don't fire that many rounds into a target without a good goddamn reason.

The people in this thread make them out to be Saints. Saints wouldn't have been blasting that garbage out of a vehicle at a gas station and threaten/mouthy with someone who asked for them to turn it down. They were breaking the law I'm almost positive of. Could have been the clerk from the gas station too or an old lady filling up her Buick.

Their ONLY problem was that it was someone who was armed to NOT become the victim instead.

Sucks to be them....

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
AND...if I saw them going after elderly or a woman.....kiss those "twenty-fows" goodbye too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies