Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming the other thread got deleted because it veered off subject but I would still like to watch and discuss the incident as more news comes out so I'm starting a new thread.

So far the facts* as I understand them are:
  • Dunn was at the gas pump while his girlfriend was inside the store
    Davis and his friends were in a SUV playing loud music
    There was an argument that resulted in Dunn shooting the SUV 8 or 9 times
    Dunn left the gas station and went back to the hotel. The next day, after hearing someone had been shot, they left the hotel and went back to their home in Brevard County.

Now Dunn is claiming self-defense. He says he saw a shotgun in the SUV and that the teens motioned they were going to open the door after threatening him.

The authorities say there were no guns found in the vehicle. There were other witnesses at the gas station that wrote down Dunn's tag number as he left the scene.

Here are several articles on the incident...some of them have conflicting details.

Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says

Attorney for suspect in teen's death says client saw shotgun, shot in self-defense

For example, one article says that his girlfriend was in the store at the time of the shooting. Another says the teens threatened his girlfriend...maybe he meant they made a threat about her.

One article says the SUV driver was inside the store, another says that they were trying to back up once the shooting started (but that was stated by the father who wasn't there but getting his info from the other teens).

I don't know how the self-defense angle is going to play out but I for one am wondering how his attorney is going to justify him leaving the scene and then leaving the county and not calling the police.
Quote:
“He didn’t think he had harmed anybody and he just thought he had scared them off and he wanted to report it, but he didn’t want to go in a sense, throw himself to the wolves in a strange city without representation,” said Dunn’s attorney Robin Lemonidis.

White man allegedly kills unarmed black teen over loud music; invokes ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Trayvon Martin is dead. Get over it. Stop trying to make every incident of a black youth being killed by someone who is not black the sequel to Travyon Martin.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default You cannot make this stuff up.

I have a very active imagination and I doubt if I could make this up. How does someone get so angry or frightened they start shooting without thinking? Just figuring out what happend when and where is going to be a major task. Every witnness sees the same event in a different way.

79 posts, read 80,717 times
He should get the electric chair and if they don't have the chair in his state they should make one just for him. There are already too many cowardly bullies with guns.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Trayvon Martin is dead. Get over it. Stop trying to make every incident of a black youth being killed by someone who is not black the sequel to Travyon Martin.
Um..I'm sorry did you see anywhere in my post where I mentioned Trayvon Martin? I simply copied and pasted the titles of the articles. Perhaps you should stop trying to make assumptions about people intent.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Nah, don't even charge the guy....you know like they did with the guy that gunned down Daniel Adkins in AZ.

Seriously though, you cannot gun someone down and get off with it because you *thought* you saw a wheapon. If that becomes an acceptable defense, you just made murder legal. Gee officer, I came home from work and I thought my wife was trying to stab me at the dinner table as she was cutting the loaf of bread. Self defense!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Um..I'm sorry did you see anywhere in my post where I mentioned Trayvon Martin? I simply copied and pasted the titles of the articles. Perhaps you should stop trying to make assumptions about people intent.
The intent is implied, and implied very loudly. If Al Sharpton gets involved, this will be Trayvon Martin Part II, and that's exactly what black people would absolutely love to happen. A white man with a gun and a black kid dead. "Trayvon's dead and forgotten, so lets find another pawn." It's clear as day, especially considering this the second attempt to get a thread on this topic moving.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I'm assuming the other thread got deleted because it veered off subject but I would still like to watch and discuss the incident as more news comes out so I'm starting a new thread.

So far the facts* as I understand them are:

• Dunn was at the gas pump while his girlfriend was inside the store
    Davis and his friends were in a SUV playing loud music
    There was an argument that resulted in Dunn shooting the SUV 8 or 9 times
    Dunn left the gas station and went back to the hotel. The next day, after hearing someone had been shot, they left the hotel and went back to their home in Brevard County.
Now Dunn is claiming self-defense. He says he saw a shotgun in the SUV and that the teens motioned they were going to open the door after threatening him.

The authorities say there were no guns found in the vehicle. There were other witnesses at the gas station that wrote down Dunn's tag number as he left the scene.

Here are several articles on the incident...some of them have conflicting details.

Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says

Attorney for suspect in teen's death says client saw shotgun, shot in self-defense

For example, one article says that his girlfriend was in the store at the time of the shooting. Another says the teens threatened his girlfriend...maybe he meant they made a threat about her.

One article says the SUV driver was inside the store, another says that they were trying to back up once the shooting started (but that was stated by the father who wasn't there but getting his info from the other teens).

I don't know how the self-defense angle is going to play out but I for one am wondering how his attorney is going to justify him leaving the scene and then leaving the county and not calling the police.

White man allegedly kills unarmed black teen over loud music; invokes ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
The gun issue is not relevant as to whether or not they had a gun (and I think they did have one). What is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable FEAR of being harmed. He requested that they turn down their garbage rap. They proceeded to cuss and threaten his physical safety. They began to open the doors to the vehicle was in. 4 thug teenagers. This is enough to make a reasonable person think that they are in grave danger. It sure as hell would make me think so. And under Stand Your Ground, if you reasonably feel you are about to be harmed, you may use deadly force.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The intent is implied, and implied very loudly. If Al Sharpton gets involved, this will be Trayvon Martin Part II, and that's exactly what black people would absolutely love to happen. A white man with a gun and a black kid dead. "Trayvon's dead and forgotten, so lets find another pawn." It's clear as day, especially considering this the second attempt to get a thread on this topic moving.
There was no such intent except yours to find another way to bash black people. I have never been a supporter of Sharpton and certainly have no desire for this to become Trayvon Martin Part II. The victims mother has stated she doesn't want this viewed as a hate crime and has asked for people to stop pushing the race angle.

Regardless of the race of either shooter, I still think this a topic that deserves discussion similar to the thread about the home invasion thread that has over 400 responses. I think our self-defense laws, especially Stand Your Ground, need to be re-examined.

The first thread got closed because of people like you who instead of talking about the subject kept veering off to other things. But if you feel this thread is beneath you then feel free to post somewheree else.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The gun issue is not relevant as to whether or not they had a gun (and I think they did have one). What is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable FEAR of being harmed. He requested that they turn down their garbage rap. They proceeded to cuss and threaten his physical safety. They began to open the doors to the vehicle was in. 4 thug teenagers. This is enough to make a reasonable person think that they are in grave danger. It sure as hell would make me think so. And under Stand Your Ground, if you reasonably feel you are about to be harmed, you may use deadly force.
So if you see four teenage thugs and believe that they have guns (because you said you believe all teenage black males listening to rap music and ride in SUVs carry guns) why would you confront them at all? Also Dunn never said they opened the doors. He said he saw a shotgun and they made motions to open the door so he reached in his glove compartment and started shooting. Unless you have found something different, if so please post it. I've found several conflicting versions of this story and I believe its because the media is trying to rush to put it out there.

However, Jacksonville sherriff said the SUV was completely searched and no weapons were found. I guess we'll have to wait for witnesses before we can rule out the "hiding of the guns before the cops got there" theory.

Also, what is your take on him leaving the scene and still not calling the police once he was safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies