Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Oh? You want to provide your source on that doubtful assertion?
I've posted this numerous times. Simply check the exit polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Only in a sick twisted progressive mind would hard work, family and decency be considered "backward" ideas. Those are the foundation of many conservatives..... and many minorities as well

Thanks for showing us your true colors
Dude, thinking the earth is 6000 years old is a backwards idea, thinking evolution is a fraud is a backward idea, thinking there is a such thing as a legitimate rape is a backwards idea. You reconize any of those?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Interesting read at Nate Silver's blog today.

In Silicon Valley, Technology Talent Gap Threatens G.O.P. Campaigns - NYTimes.com

Food for thought for you righties who continue to believe that only unemployed Obamaphone-receiving welfare mommas supported Obama.
Food for thought from the "other" coast.

Quote:
Between his campaign committee and a monster super PAC supporting his candidacy, Romney has benefited from about 72% percent of the near $33 million Wall Street has contributed through February.
Wall Street's Huge Bet on Romney - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

Apparently not all smarts go for the dems.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Education does push people to become more liberal.

Reality leans to the left. Education makes it harder to hide from that fact.
Of course not, but Academic institutions dedicated to indoctrinating its students with a specific set of philosophy and knowledge, certainly can and does push some people to become more liberal. Besides what you're saying is a bit misleading. It's sort of the the same idea doesn't always work in reverse. Every college degree earner may be "educated" in a certain sense, but not every educated person is a college degree earner.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Well let's keep in mind that the vast majority of those making 50k or more and those with a college degree, overwhelmingly voted for Romney. Those with the lowest education and the least financially stable voted for Obama. So there goes your "rich" and "smart" argument if those two variables are the qualifying metrics.

The "47%" and their advocates primarily voted for Obama.

But in regards to Hollywood who represent the "rich and cool" (but not necessrily the "smart"), I personally believed it's the entertainment culture that includes an abnormal amount of the LBGT and LGBT freindly communities that is quite fond of the Democrats for obvious reasons.
Actually 80% of the ppl that are worse off today than 4 years ago, voted for mittens. 84% of those better off voted for obama. Apparently, Obama voters are doing a lot better than mittens voters. According to the exit polls.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Actually 80% of the ppl that are worse off today than 4 years ago, voted for mittens. 84% of those better off voted for obama. Apparently, Obama voters are doing a lot better than mittens voters. According to the exit polls.
How are Obama voters doing better if they are the least financially stable and the least educated? How does that make them "rich" and/or "smarter?" I'd ask you to define "better" in this case. Because if these Obama supporters are getting "something for nothing" then technically the "47%" very well could be better off with that line of rational--similar to a homeless guy having more change in his cup at the end of the day than when he started it. He might be "better off" but I'm not so sure I would isolate the word "better" in this case.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Of course not, but Academic institutions dedicated to indoctrinating its students with a specific set of philosophy and knowledge, certainly can and does push some people to become more liberal.
The claim of "indoctrination" is merely a conservative rationalization for their failure to compete effectively in the realm of higher education. It's the same phenomenon we witness in journalism. Yes... journalists lean left because reality leans left.

Liberalism is associated with a particular way of thinking, and key to the suite of characteristics is a high tolerance for ambiguity and change. Conservatives think liberals are hypocrites because they do not take the same sort of cut-and-dried positions that characterize conservative thought. Liberals instead understand the world to be composed of gray areas, with few "yes or no" "right or wrong" questions or issues. With liberals, the most common honest answer is "it depends." We do not hold double standards... we hold triple and quadruple standards. To a conservative that's hypocrisy. To a liberal that's the human condition.

Rather than being "hypocrites," liberals are more specifically relativists.

And this is a direct reflection of the real universe. Almost everything in nature is composed of continua. Almost nothing in nature is dichotomous. For every bright line conservatives try to draw between right and wrong, male or female, good or evil, black or white, up or down... nature mocks them with things and phenomena that are both / neither. And it is this ambiguous relativistic pattern of reality that is exposed during the course of education. Education's primary value is to disabuse the student of their simplistic prejudices, preconceptions and intuitions. Reality is messy. Reality is complex. Reality is a conservative's worst nightmare.

This is also what makes it harder for liberals to package a simple message to low information voters. Low information voters prefer answers that are unambiguous to answers that are true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim
Besides what you're saying is a bit misleading. It's sort of the the same idea doesn't always work in reverse. Every college degree earner may be "educated" in a certain sense, but not every educated person is a college degree earner.
I do not know who you are arguing with here, but it is certainly not me. As a liberal, I would never assert such absolutes. While the conservatives might concede that there is an exception to every rule, liberals would counter that its all exceptions and few rules are true.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Education does push people to become more liberal.

Reality leans to the left. Education makes it harder to hide from that fact.
"If reality wasn't so serious, liberalism would be mere comic relief for the thinking mind."

Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM

HistorianDude
Quote:
The claim of "indoctrination" is merely a conservative rationalization for their failure to compete effectively in the realm of higher education.

Sorry, but I stopped reading here...Academic Institutions can and do indoctrinate their students. This isn't a conservative notion or a liberal one; neither right leaning Universities and colleges are exempt from this.

Quote:
It's the same phenomenon we witness in journalism. Yes... journalists lean left because reality leans left.
So by your logic, right leaning jouranlists, "lean right" because reality "leans" right?

Quote:
Liberalism is associated with a particular way of thinking, and key to the suite of characteristics is a high tolerance for ambiguity and change.
LOL Liberalism is not ubiquitous gathering of a "high tolerance of ambiguity and change."

Quote:
Conservatives think liberals are hypocrites because they do not take the same sort of cut-and-dried positions that characterize conservative thought. Liberals instead understand the world to be composed of gray areas, with few "yes or no" "right or wrong" questions or issues. With liberals, the most common honest answer is "it depends." We do not hold double standards... we hold triple and quadruple standards. To a conservative that's hypocrisy. To a liberal that's the human condition.
Rather than being "hypocrites," liberals are more specifically relativists.
Honeslty, I won't even entertain this rational, simply based on the idea that you are attempting to force anyone who questions or doubts your idea of "liberalism" to defend extreme conservatism when in fact both extremes are misleading and counterproductive.

Quote:
And this is a direct reflection of the real universe.
lol! The problem historydude, is that your line thinking and beliefs aren't consistent or linear in their approach.

Quote:
Almost everything in nature is composed of continua. Almost nothing in nature is dichotomous. For every bright line conservatives try to draw between right and wrong, male or female, good or evil, black or white, up or down... nature mocks them with things and phenomena that are both / neither. And it is this ambiguous relativistic pattern of reality that is exposed during the course of education. Education's primary value is to disabuse the student of their simplistic prejudices, preconceptions and intuitions. Reality is messy. Reality is complex.
Absolutely nothing of what you've written here is what defines "liberalism."

Quote:
Reality is a conservative's worst nightmare.

This is also what makes it harder for liberals to package a simple message to low information voters. Low information voters prefer answers that are unambiguous to answers that are true.
Quote:
I do not know who you are arguing with here, but it is certainly not me. As a liberal, I would never assert such absolutes. While the conservatives might concede that there is an exception to every rule, liberals would counter that its all exceptions and few rules are true.
see my first response as it relates to my original response to your statement.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think pne had sto relaise that any centralist governemnt favros a elite and a other class. I don't however see them being so smart especially has far has numbers being the smartest in the room.A example is all the governamnt people even tresury could not untangle the mortgage market with out wall street. As one said when Jamie Diaman was proposed to head treasury;why would he want to go work with the mediocity in government officals compared to what he works owal street. The smartest people in the room is not just a saying is the truth.look at all the top offical they all come from private sector for a reason.
Ya know? I am SO tired of your posts, since you seemingly do not know how to type, or write, or something.

Are you certifiably dyslexic? If that's the case, my sincerest apologies.

But as much as I HATE the idea of an "Ignore List" (as I really like to hear all sides of the story), I am so tried of trying to decipher what you are trying to say. So as of today, this post (#31,971), you have now become my first "Ignore List" entry.

Sorry, please don't take this as a personal attack, I just can't be bothered trying to figure out your unique code to the English Language.

Maybe try proofreading and double-checking all of those red underlines before (or after, in which case you can EDIT) your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies