Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You're leaving my generation with a worse America than the one you grew up with, it's not even close. Millenials are the first generation where they will be less well off than their parents.
Note to all Boomers: Buy Kimberly-Clark stock because the Millenials need for Kleenex is going to send it through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Note to all Boomers: Buy Kimberly-Clark stock because the Millenials need for Kleenex is going to send it through the roof.
I wonder what Millenials would have thought about outhouses, party lines, and only 3 channels on TV? Yeah... they have it SO rough...

Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I wonder what Millenials would have thought about outhouses, party lines, and only 3 channels on TV? Yeah... they have it SO rough...
Interest rates of 18%, high inflation, recession with few jobs available.
No loose credit so having to really make do with the money you made.

The Millenials are crying all the way through this recession.

It's global and yet they blame US baby boomers for their hardship.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,395 times
I am a Gen Xer who voted for Romney.Raised by Boomers who worked hard to take care of me and my sisters.I always thought my generation was the luckiest.Grew up in peace,relative economic stability,and great leaps in technology.I just love how these peace and love boomers have all kinds of venom towards the younger generations here.How dare they blame and rebel against their parents.Oh, wait isn't that what you did?How did your parents,my grandparents,the Depression and WW2 generation deal with that?When you grew out of that,you became the kind of people who raised me, who made my life easier than theirs.Every generation has it's challenges,but but is their a need for a generational war?Do we really need to be divided in yet another way?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Fact is, you elected the bums who got us 10 trillion into debt. Now you want to kick the can down the road onto the backs of my generation. You're leaving my generation with a worse America than the one you grew up with, it's not even close. Millenials are the first generation where they will be less well off than their parents.
Very true - it's those boomers that want free contraceptives, free college, free housing and obama phones (that most don't even know how to operate) - the boomers are the demographic that attended all the Obama campaign events on college campuses and voted for reductions in Medicare and to see Social Security go bust.

The 'boomers' were the demographic that Obama was shooting for in the 2012 election and they are the only reason he was elected.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Ann Coulter: Make the Democrats own the Obama economy - Conservative News

"One bright spot of Barack Obama’s re-election was knowing that unemployment rates were about to soar for the precise groups that voted for him — young people, unskilled workers and single women with degrees in gender studies. But now the Democrats are sullying my silver lining by forcing Republicans to block an utterly pointless tax-raising scheme in order to blame the coming economic Armageddon on them."

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
The baby boomers are the ones who got us into this mess and they're trying to kick the can down the road onto my generation. Now boomers will have to pay up in reduced social security and medicare benefits, in addition to higher taxes on income (as some are still working obviously). The ones who benefited the most from our fiscal recklessness will pay the most. Fair is fair.
I'm sorry (really) but if we go over the fiscal cliff, Social Security and Medicare are exempt from the automatic cuts associated with the sequestration.

In addition, seniors who have reached age 65 will receive an increased standard deduction when filing federal taxes. (Of course, few baby boomers are currently 65 or older).

Eventually, Medicare will be restructured. Social Security? Probably not for the majority of Boomers.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have a bit of a life, I work as a line cook 70 hours a week to pay off my loans for cooking school (payments of which are larger than my rent).

My point is that babyboomers have consistently voted for politicians who lower taxes and raise spending. You guys want low taxes but you still want things like huge militaries and high quality government services. As a result the taxes that you paid were not enough to cover the government you wanted. The deficit is a product of this problem, it will be paid off by those who come after you in the form of higher taxes and lower quality government services. You got the party, we got the bill.

When I say you, I don't necessarily mean you, yourself; but your generation in general.

You took out a student loan to become a line cook?

I was a line cook until I asked a waitress how much money she made.

One month later I was a waiter and tripled my line cook income.

Chase your dreams, but if those dreams don't include knocking down some cabbage, you need some new dreams.

FTR, it's not a generational thing.

The people who receive from the hand of government are not the same people who pay income taxes, and the people who vote for big spending are not the same people who vote for lower taxes.

The problem we have is bipartisanship.

Republicans agree to increased spending when Democrats agree to lowered taxes.

Politicians from both parties are then able to go back to their respective supporters and say they got part of what they wanted.

History is clear that both deficits and unemployment decline when Republicans control both houses of Congress.

Unfortunately the latest generation is new to political pandering (no they don't really care about you) and therefore we'll have to go through at least a few more years of hard knocks until they start to get the picture.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM

113 posts, read 101,434 times
I don't blame Boomers. The Lost Generation and Greatest Generation gave us FDR and Social Security. Those and the Silent Generation gave us Medicare. Those are the unfunded Ponzi schemes that are bankrupting the country. Those generations received way more from that than they paid in. The Boomers inherited these programs, had to pay a whole lot into them, and won't get anything back (because the money was stolen to pay for previous generations). They are the ones that are going to be the most screwed. You can't blame my generation (Y). We haven't been voting that long, and these problems have been building up for many decades.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
obama phones (that most don't even know how to operate) - the boomers are the demographic that attended all the Obama campaign events on college campuses and voted for reductions in Medicare and to see Social Security go bust.

The 'boomers' were the demographic that Obama was shooting for in the 2012 election and they are the only reason he was elected.
Obama phones are basic. They don't come with apps, internet, games, skype, chat-on. So it's understandable how so many wouldn't know how to operate them.

As for the election, you should do some research before you make false claims. The boomers did not give Obama the win.

Quote:
In addition to the gender gap, there was a yawning generation gap. Voters under the age of 30 were strongly pro-Obama, 59 percent to 37 percent, while voters 65 and older favored Romney by 57 percent to 43 percent
http://blog.timesunion.com/politicss...-victory/2639/

That 59% of voters between 18 and 30 gave him the win. And their "win" will prove to be costly. Their win will be their loss, along with everyone else who didn't vote for Obama. Hope they know how to take personal responsibility for their failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies