Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
There's a War on Christmas, and atheists are the main reason for it.

Why do you think there is "Happy Holidays", "Holiday trees", etc.
O'Reilly should go after George Bush and Ronald Reagan for taking the Christ out of Christmas with their "Happy Holidays" cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If this were true then how do explain Tay-Sachs disease.............
According to a Wiki article "French Canadians of southeastern Quebec have a carrier frequency similar to that seen in Ashkenazi Jews, but carry a different mutation. Cajuns of southern Louisiana carry the same mutation that is seen most commonly in Ashkenazi Jews".

How do you explain that as 'Jewish' blood?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
The main point of the interview was O'Reilly's odd and warped argument that Christianity is a philosophy not a religion but it's denominations (RC, Methodism...) are religions.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right, it is as much cultural in some cases, as a religion, but still, you can not be a Jewish Atheist, no matter how you cut it...Our granddaughter is an agnostic, her father was raised Jewish, I have never heard her refer to herself as a Jewish Agnostic. BTW, as for the jerk, last night, I will tell you, I know a lot of agnostics, Jews and even Atheist who love Christmas and put up Christmas trees.
You've already been thoroughly proven wrong on this. Even ultra-orthodox accept atheists as Jewish, and they are quite picky about who is a Jew.

You granddaughter is not Jewish, because being a Jew is determined by the mother, not the father. The only division of Judaism that accepts patrilineal descent is Reform Judaism, and only if the child is raised Reform. They, however, would not be Jewish under Orthodox Judaism.

I can't believe you're actually trying to argue this with actual Jews. We know how Jews are defined. This isn't some modern day PC argument about how to call oneself. It's based on thousands of years of halakhah and rabbinic teaching.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If this were true then how do explain Tay-Sachs disease.............
Since I am not a medical doctor, I cannot 'explain' this disorder. Here is a link for those interested:

Tay-Sachs disease - PubMed Health

So, in my example, if one were to look at a drop of blood and determine the presence of Tay-Sachs, according to the article it is betting odds that the person descends from Jewish faith ancestors. It is passed down genetically, I guess.

That may all be true. Indeed, if the drop of blood shows sickle cell anemia, it is also a fair wager that the person is of African descent.

However, I maintain that if the original ancestors of the present carriers of Tay-Sachs had been, for example, Wicca, and due to said ancestors living in a small populated area and inter-marrying each other, then the result would be the same: if the drop of blood had Tay-Sachs, then odds are the person is of the Wicca faith. Yet, I would not call Wicca's a 'race', like I would Africans, Caucasians or Asians.

True, I am not of the Jewish faith, nor my ancestors (one or two may well be mixed in somewhere). But I find it a bit creepy that some believe that they can look at a person and 'tell' they are Jewish, like I can look at a man with dark pigmentation and conclude that he or she is of African descent. It also brings to mind the old, bigoted adage "Once a Jew, always a Jew".

Say, if the drop of blood reveals Tay-Sachs, you could hedge your bet by saying "That person is Cajun!"

Doctors Look To Raise Tay-Sachs Awareness Among Louisiana

You may think you are Jewish, but you could be Cajun. Pass the alligator, please.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Arabs are Semites too. One still can't be a Muslim Agnostic.

I will tell Freud, Sagan, and Einstein that they are not Jews. Einstein was a German Agnostic.

If you want to tie cultural background to it, then you have to accept Christian Agnostics, Muslim Buddhists, etc.
As I said, to be a Muslim or a Christian or a Hindu or a Buddhist, you don't need to have ANY ethnic ties, just a belief in the system. This has been a core issue with Judaism, however.

BTW, if Einstein was a German Agnostic, the German aspect only comes to him from his nation of birth, no? It doesn't speak of his ancestry, just his location. Being an Arab, or a Jew, or Semite in general, speaks of an ancestry that goes beyond the religion. Although, you could say a Jew living in an Arab country is an Arab Jew, like you just called Einstein a German. But, that offers a different perspective.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
[b]

Us Christians do not consider Jews being "God's chosen" people anymore because they refused to accept Christ as the Messiah. They used to be from the day God created the Earth until Christ came down to Earth, but are no longer that.
Please do not speak on behalf of Christians. Most Christians still consider Jews the Chosen people, and still believe God has a plan for them. Jews rejected the Messiah so that you could be grafted into the tree and be saved. It is because of the Jews, that Gentiles are even in consideration.

Stop being an anti-semite. You worship a Jew. Jews are still very important in Christian theology.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
This was a really intense debate with a Jewish atheist. Apparently O'Reilly got under this guys collar and upset this fellow. What I didn't like is this guy uses "atheism" as a vehicle to oppose Christmas. My question is how do Jewish atheists reconcile their non-belief in God with their self-declared "chosen by God" status?

Bill O'Reilly Confronts Atheist Leader And His 'Merry Band Of Fascists' - YouTube
How can someone be a Jewish atheist? Isn't Judaism a religion? To me it sounds like saying someone is a Protestant atheist, it doesn't make sense.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
What a great thread...heres the clincher for the atheists and whatever Cosmo maker or idea for plead when that time comes as it always does in the biological, or a necessary focus for thankfulness, which is impossible to escape....

Even if Jesus was not at all the son of whatever the idea for above is ( fill in your blank, you all got one, even if its an idea modeled after self survival) the focus or Cosmo idea or the Godhead, would have adapted Jesus in a snap. Therefore militating against Christianity the philosophy of peace through virtue is an argument against whatever progressive value the atheist attach's to self, and has "out-witched him or herself " to the "bitter end".

The atheist who militates against the philosophy of peace in Christianity in public has out-witched self...isn't that interesting.

And then when the eventful bitter biological end comes, there will be zero focus available except all the pain. A full concentration of anything but the favored nothingness or vagueness, so delightfully honored through life.

Self bewitched for materialism. A materialism in its fullness and in keeping, with an accelerating molecular disorder exactly explaining, all that was in focus in life's pledge....hmm

Last edited by stargazzer; 11-29-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
There is no such thing as a Jewish Atheist. Despite the last century's attempt to make Jews an ethnicity (whether it was done by Hitler with genocidal intentions or by Israel with Palestinian apartheid intentions) it does not make them so. Jewish Atheist is as ridiculous as Muslim Agnostic or Christian Buddhist.
Since Judaism is not strictly a religion, it's not ridiculous. Christianity is 100% a religion. You follow it, or you don't. Being a Jew does not mean following a religion. It can also mean that, but it's not part of how being a Jew works. Being a Jew is based on being a descendant of Abraham. It's a birth rite, not a chosen religious practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies