Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney89 View Post
I don't think social conservatism has a future because it is inconsistent with the message of limited government and personal freedom. Despite growing up in a socially conservative household and still maintaining fiscally conservative views, I see most of the current group of Republicans as no better than the Democrats because they both equally have their sacred cows of wasteful spending. If I had to choose, I would much rather money be spent on things that actually might benefit our citizens as opposed to regulating what people choose to put in their bodies, what consensual adults choose to do in their bedrooms, and wasting time trying to outlaw or find loopholes around something that has been declared legal by the supreme court for years. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you have to agree with it morally.
Social conservatism is very consistent with the message of limited government and personal freedom. Social conservatism is about holding the federal and state governments accountable under their respective constitutions. The federal government was never intended to become a vehicle for social programs. Social programs were to remain under the authority of each State. Social conservatism is about restoring the original intentions of the founding fathers.

The more powers the federal government assumes, that was not specifically granted to them by the US Constitution, the less personal freedom citizens have. The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM

25 posts, read 29,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Social conservatism is very consistent with the message of limited government and personal freedom. Social conservatism is about holding the federal and state governments accountable under their respective constitutions. The federal government was never intended to become a vehicle for social programs. Social programs were to remain under the authority of each State. Social conservatism is about restoring the original intentions of the founding fathers.

The more powers the federal government assumes, that was not specifically granted to them by the US Constitution, the less personal freedom citizens have. The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.
I can agree with most of this, but can't agree with outlawing drugs, gay marriage, and abortion at the federal level, which many social conservatives seem to be in favor of. If we can leave social programs to the states, why not these social issues? That is the main issue I have with social conservatism.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Will we ever be able to elect a president with strong pro-life views again? Will we ever be able to vote in someone who rejects gay marriage across the nation? Can the Republicans win an election as long as it doesn't abandon socially conservative views?

It seems like this election should have been in Romney's hands, but some outrageous GOP comments alienated lots in this country. Republicans need to reevaluate their views, and in doing so, I think they'll abandon many socially conservative views.
There is more to social conservatism than just issues like abortion...I think we have to pick our fights and lean to compromize plus realize we live in a changing world. I am a social moderate, but certainly not left by anymeans. There are social issues I am conservative about and yet, I realize I can not expect everyone to agree with me and I would never vote on social issues only..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

461 posts, read 555,941 times
Quote:
Conservatism is not about having "strong pro-life views." That is the religious viewpoint, and it has absolutely nothing to do with conservatism. Conservatives are for small government, low taxation, and less government interference. Conservatives want to return to the founding principles of the nation, the acknowledgment that everyone has an inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Conservatives believe in the "rule of law," whereas progressives do not.
I said social conservatism, not conservatism.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Conservatism is not about having "strong pro-life views." That is the religious viewpoint, and it has absolutely nothing to do with conservatism. Conservatives are for small government, low taxation, and less government interference. Conservatives want to return to the founding principles of the nation, the acknowledgment that everyone has an inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Conservatives believe in the "rule of law," whereas progressives do not.
Then there hasn't been a Conservative candidate for President in a looooooong time.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Dead? No. But certainly marginalized. The simple reality is that all major institutions of education and media that impact culture have been co-opted by secular progressives who have managed to demonize every notion of morality in this country. It is impossible to stand against a tidal wave.

I think there is room for the Republican Party to be a voice of moderation where abortion is concerned. I mean the president believes that a baby born alive as a result of a botched abortion deserves no protections and should be allowed to die... of hunger/thirst/exposure/neglect. Surely if articulated like that most folks consider that an extreme position. But a solid prolife politician who opposes all abortion or even one who wants to get rid of Roe is likely going to end up on the dust heap of history.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney89 View Post
I can agree with most of this, but can't agree with outlawing drugs, gay marriage, and abortion at the federal level, which many social conservatives seem to be in favor of. If we can leave social programs to the states, why not these social issues? That is the main issue I have with social conservatism.
Marriage and abortion are not federal issues and should not rise to the federal level. Those issues must be dealt with at the State level, as each State is doing now or has already done. Congress and the Executive Branch should have absolutely nothing to do with marriage or abortion.

The importation of drugs (a.k.a. commerce), on the other hand, does fall under the federal purview. Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the US Constitution gives Congress the authority to regulate interstate and international commerce. I do not like the "War on Drugs" any more than you, but I also cannot deny that Congress does have the legitimate authority to regulate any product that crosses State or national borders.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then there hasn't been a Conservative candidate for President in a looooooong time.
I agree.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
I said social conservatism, not conservatism.
I am referring to social conservatism, specifically. The federal government was never intended to facilitate any social programs of any kind. For the first 124 years that the US existed there were no federal social programs. Everything was handled by the States, cities, local communities, churches, and private donations.

Beginning around a century ago the federal government has usurped the power to create social programs from the States. A social conservative would want to see that power restored back to the States from whence it came.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Social Conservatism will never die, only its definition will change. Hell, 300 years ago, many American social conservatives would have been burned at the stake for their views or what they tolerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies