Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

he OPs premise is that if you don't support the law then you shouldn't benefit. That works both ways. if you do not apy taxes;you shuld be able to vote o how its spent. If you do not support the law then you shpould pay for it.It gets to the rule of the meanig of rule of alw.smae as if you do not beleive in marijuana law then you do not ahve to follwow it or that a states has npo rights in one law passed by federal governament but can opt out.Democrats seem to want it both ways when they decide.Perhaps we see now why rule of law is starting to erode in this country.If the law is that all are aloowed the benefit then it should apply to all and if chnaged then it aplies to all. The basic reason we pass eve rules in games.Its the way tax benfits are applied even tho few agree with all the rules;they need to play by them.

Last edited by texdav; 11-29-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
A household budget, is not in anyway like the US government's budget. If you don't understand that, there is nothing I can do.

Logical solutions are this increased taxes, a growing economy, and slowing the growth of medicare and medicaid spending without hurting the poor or middle class.

Okay Mr./Mrs. intelligent? Why is the government's budget different? Oh.. I know. cause we can just print more money if it doesn't balance? No... Our government takes in so much... it should only spend so much. Period. End of story. If it can't pay for war then don't get into one. If it can't pay to bailout GM.. then don't freaking bail them out! If it can't pay for everyone in this country to have a free-cell phone.. (oops.. well I guess it can, seeing how I pay for that by the universal fee on my cell phone bill)... If it can't pay for everyone to go to college.. I'm sorry.. too bad. I honestly don't know how some of you survive who cannot even figure out that if you don't have the money to pay for it... Don't BUY IT!!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do Democrats voluntarily pay a higher tax rate?

Do democrats practice what they preach when it comes to raising tax rates?

We know tax-cheat Rangel tried to pay less than what he actually owed...

Are there any Dems who pay more to avoid to fiscal cliff?
Rangel is not alone...

Quote:
The Obama Tax Cheats

A new report just out from the Internal Revenue Service reveals that 36 of President Obama's executive office staff owe the country $833,970 in back taxes. These people working for Mr. Fair Share apparently haven't paid any share, let alone their fair share.

Previous reports have shown how well-paid Obama's White House staff is, with 457 aides pulling down more than $37 million last year. That's up seven workers and nearly $4 million from the Bush administration's last year.

Nearly one-third of Obama's aides make more than $100,000 with 21 being paid the top White House salary of $172,200, each.

The IRS' 2010 delinquent tax revelations come as part of a required annual agency report on federal employees' tax compliance. Turns out, an awful lot of folks being paid by taxpayers are not paying their own income taxes.

The report finds that thousands of federal employees owe the country more than $3.4 billion in back taxes. That's up 3% in the past year.

Source: The Obama Tax Cheats - Kevin Glass

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Rangel is not alone...
Tried to rep again..Thank you... so that's why our government's budget isn't the same and can't apparently be balanced... To many unpaid receivables.....(sarcasm off)

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Okay Mr./Mrs. intelligent? Why is the government's budget different? Oh.. I know. cause we can just print more money if it doesn't balance? No... Our government takes in so much... it should only spend so much. Period. End of story. If it can't pay for war then don't get into one. If it can't pay to bailout GM.. then don't freaking bail them out! If it can't pay for everyone in this country to have a free-cell phone.. (oops.. well I guess it can, seeing how I pay for that by the universal fee on my cell phone bill)... If it can't pay for everyone to go to college.. I'm sorry.. too bad. I honestly don't know how some of you survive who cannot even figure out that if you don't have the money to pay for it... Don't BUY IT!!!!
Yes, because the government can print money, that makes it dramatically different.
Again, conservatives lecturing everyone else about the budget is amazing.

In 2001, there was a budget surplus, conservatives demanded a tax cut because a budget surplus meant the government was taking too much money. Conservatives were not yelling that we needed to pay down the national debt.

Once those taxes were cut, then US fought two wars, that conservatives weren't yelling we needed to pay for by raising taxes.

Those tax cuts combined with paying for 2 wars eliminated the budget surplus and created budget deficits and for YEARS conservatives weren't complaining about paying for these wars or the resulting budget deficit. Conservatives said nothing about the national debt during those years.

Then when the economy started to tank and when it was obvious that the Democrat was probably going to win the presidency and would be facing huge budget deficits because of the recessions and loss of tax revenue, the wars, the Bush tax cuts, and the fact that people would lean on the social safety net and increase government spending, then that is when conservatives became obsessed with budget deficits and the national debt.

Conservatives are the biggest frauds and liars. Look if conservatives would have had any consistency they would have hated G W Bush and would have never voted for him, instead conservatives supported Bush more than any other group and still do to this day.

So save it, conservatives have zero credibility when it comes to lecturing the rest of us about budget deficits or the national debt.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
How is federal financial aid a "handout"? These are loans with interest rates and default penalties. You can't claim bankruptcy on them and the government isn't going to give a student aid bailout like they give to banks and corporations. How is something considered a "handout" when you are obligated to repay it in full with interest attatched?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A government scholarship is a reward for hard work and to help the student acheive thier potential. In turn they will be a productive tax paying citizen. Kinda like government programs with incentives to install more energy efficient heating, windows etc.

Additionally, you are strawmanning REASONABLE complaints by fiscal conservatives about the extent and abuse of some social programs to the extreme case of banning all social programs.

Try to be more honest next time around and we can have a real discussion about the issues....
Just wanted to state that Pell Grants are not loans and don't have to be paid back. Also Pell Grants are not scholarships based on "hard work." They are income based so poor people get more money from Pell Grants than wealthier people.

Pell Grants are now set at $5500 per year for the students most in need. Middle income people get less than this. I have a cousin going to college next semester who will get about $4000 in Pell Grants and that will cover more than his tuition for the year so he will get a refund (he will be going to a cheap, local state school for the first part of his education to save money).

I don't think many of you realize that Pell Grants are essentially "free money." They are based on nothing but need. My cousin is a smart guy when he wants to be but had less than a 2.5 GPA when he graduated high school and still was eligible. It doesn't matter how well a student does, only how much money their family has.

And wanted to add, I am all for Pell Grants and student aid. I actually wish more young people who didn't get scholarships, would consider doing like my cousin is doing and going to a cheap school for free, at least for the first couple years until they can transer to a better institution, which is his plan - to get a high GPA then transfer to another, more prestigious school in order to graduate from a more sought after school.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes, because the government can print money, that makes it dramatically different.
LOLOLOL... I love that you believe that just because you can take some ink, throw it on some paper and justify it, it is okay.... Gotta love that magical mystical money fairy.... And here I thought you were more "intelligent" than I was......

Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Paul Ryan the Budget Guy voted for :

Bush Security/ TSA
Bush Wars
Bush Stimulous
Bush Tax Cuts
The Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska
TARP and more

He subsequently blamed Obama for the deficit
He opposed the Obama Stimulous

Then he applied for Wisconsin's share of the handout

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
LOLOLOL... I love that you believe that just because you can take some ink, throw it on some paper and justify it, it is okay.... Gotta love that magical mystical money fairy.... And here I thought you were more "intelligent" than I was......

We have a fiat currency. This means money has value because our government says it has value. It can print money.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Sorry to disappoint, loser dems. I worked my way through PRIVATE college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies