Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So... can we sum this up and move on or does this need to go on for three more pages saying the same thing, post after post. The clerk was dumb for exposing himself to violence but justified in putting a bullet in someone dumb enough to punch (hard) an armed person. Oh, and be black while doing it. Did I miss any salient points? The black kids parents are not a salient point.
The race of the thug makes no difference. Why try to make it a point?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
The clerk showed poor judgement in opening the door. I would have waited for him to break the door down/break the glass before shooting him. All in all, the clerk has every right to defend himself on an unequal basis. That is, he has the right to defend himself without getting into a fist fight - which doesn't keep him safe.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The clerk showed poor judgement in opening the door. I would have waited for him to break the door down/break the glass before shooting him. All in all, the clerk has every right to defend himself on an unequal basis. That is, he has the right to defend himself without getting into a fist fight - which doesn't keep him safe.
True, I will grant you all that, but I would have found the experience far more satisfying to teach this punk a lesson. If you punch me, expect to get punched back twice as hard. As long as this punk's cousins stayed out of the dispute, I would have no need to pull a weapon to defend myself. I do not start fights, but I always finish them.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think that is upto a jury to decide. Afterall we do not convict or indict only on video evidence. The defense of self defense depends on the person beleiving his life is in danger ;not that a person was shot.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The race of the thug makes no difference. Why try to make it a point?
It was already made racial in a now edited or deleted post. In any case this will become a case. Maybe in Texas people can disregard due caution and put themselves in situations where they then have to use deadly force to get themselves out and maybe they can't. We'll see. There will likely be a civil trial if not a criminal one. Its clear where a majority of CD posters stand on this issue. Who knew I was walking among so many murderous individuals. You know... the other day I got on an elevator in Portland. Guy that was already in it decided he didn't want to ride in such a small space with someone black but the doors were closing so he knocked the hell out of me on his way to freedom. Possibly as hard as that thug hit that clerk. Should I have shot him? I'm serious. It really happened, and I was justified in taking some action against him. Should it have been deadly?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
This was a justified shoot. The clerk probably exercised bad judgement opening the door, but he didn't reasonably expect to get attacked by doing so. The thug decided to attack him. He committed felonious assault on the clerk.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that is upto a jury to decide. Afterall we do not convict or indict only on video evidence. The defense of self defense depends on the person beleiving his life is in danger ;not that a person was shot.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
So... can we sum this up and move on or does this need to go on for three more pages saying the same thing, post after post. The clerk was dumb for exposing himself to violence but justified in putting a bullet in someone dumb enough to punch (hard) an armed person. Oh, and be black while doing it. Did I miss any salient points? The black kids parents are not a salient point.
Actually you missed quite a few salient points. We don't know exactly why the clerk opened the door. Maybe it was dumb, maybe not. Unless we claim psychic powers we can't say. And you miss that this was a 3 on 1 threat. Disparity of force=>fear for life=>justified shooting.

As for the race angle, I refer you to Bill Cosby and his 'Pound Cake' speech. Take up your thinly-veiled accusations of racism with Cosby.

Bill Cosby Famous Pound Cake Speech - YouTube

Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Looks like pretty poor judgment on the clerk's part, which would be why he lost his job. However, I can't blame him for shooting the other guy, once it was clear that he might be beaten to a pulp. That was a strong punch.
From the way that clerk took the punch, my money is on him all the way.. Once the clerk didn't flinch with the powerful punch, the scum should have run like h&ll...!!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
And that's why he is out of a job. And unlikely to get another in the state of Texas. The rest of your rant is typical. Talk is so cheap. Have you ever killed anyone? Has anyone in this thread actually killed anyone? Possible, but not likely. And I've been on this site for 3 years and I have yet to see someone link a sensational shooting where the victim wasn't black. Implying that he deserved it. I've rectified that oversight, as you know.

H
What's your point? He deserved it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies