Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Sounds great, but the liberals would ultimately be against as it may disrupt the elk population, or a spotted salamander somewhere through it's path...
Much like the oil pipeline from Canada that the the current regime rejected...and i quote..

Obama was putting politics ahead of jobs and the nation's energy security by rejecting the pipeline now, Republicans and oil industry leaders said. The president faced fierce pressure from environmentalists who said they would be less likely to campaign for him in November if he didn't block the project to move carbon-heavy oil from the tar sands of northwest Canada.

Another 4 years..Damn
Ah yes the oil pipeline that tranported fuel to places outside the US.

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
NO, we are out of money. Cut spending first, get the debt way down then we can talk about it.

There is no debt.

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I vote yes. I think it's a good idea, it will save time, create jobs and bring us into the present. Europe has dozens of little countries, we have dozens of states. Really, what's the difference?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Just NY to Chicago or NY to DC would work quite well.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
What Is your opinion on funding the new high speed rail program? Liberals are for it due to the fact that it would be environmentally friendly, while conservatives on the other hand think it is useless spending. I personally am a HUGE fan of it (due to the pro urban trend it would help set up).
This is a partisan issue only to those who cannot view the world except through the coke-bottle lenses of partisanship.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I voted no. You can already fly anywhere you want in the country or take a bus. It's a lot of expense for no gain other that putting people to work building it. However, I would have much rather had obummer invest in a high speed rail system than Solyndra... At least we'd have something to show for all the money spent in the end.

While there would be jobs created building such a system, in the end, we'd just swap jobs in the airlines and busses when all was said and done.

I also wonder who would use such a system.

Yeah cause we all know airports and roads are free. Only rail costs money. At least rail has user fees unlike most roads.

Peotone airport would be a waste of taxpayer money

Rail may indeed be screwed up by idiot governments, but lets compare apples to apples. Am I paying for those trauma centers for the poor in those car accidents? Ya think maybe?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The US is so vast that high speed rail at the national level would be significantly slower than flying and, consequently, would probably be less popular. It might work on a regional level though.
The vastnesses aren't really an issue, I agree. It's neither economical to build HSR in the least densely populated regions nor particularly desired by their residents.

Concentrate on the coasts, where HSR will give the most bang for the buck and do the most good in terms of relieving pressure on other transport modes - that's clearly the way ahead.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ah yes the oil pipeline that tranported fuel to places outside the US.
The Keystone pipeline would also allow oil from new fields in the Dakotas, Montana and elsewhere to be shipped south to Texas refineries, boosting the local economic appeal.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
The vastnesses aren't really an issue, I agree. It's neither economical to build HSR in the least densely populated regions nor particularly desired by their residents.

Concentrate on the coasts, where HSR will give the most bang for the buck and do the most good in terms of relieving pressure on other transport modes - that's clearly the way ahead.

Speaking of money how much wealth do you suppose would be created in the real estate near the rail stations?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Sure, why not?

We have no real debts to pay off, nothing more important than needs doing, and we have no transportation in those areas. Plainly we need this high-speed rail, and the untold billions it will cost must be spent on it, and quickly.
NO, we are out of money. Cut spending first, get the debt way down then we can talk about it.
What? Don't be silly. If we were out of money, they never would have proposed building all these high-speed rail systems.

You must be wrong. Next you'll be telling us that we are in debt or something. And that roads, buses etc. already exist in those areas.

Nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies