Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times

Advertisements

For years and years China has been flooding the US with toxic items. Drugs from China have very little monitoring (Heperin made in China killed 149 Americans). Ranbaxy in India is investigating their generic Lipitor that was found to have glass particles, and has been removed from the US market.

Why is the US government allowing Americans to be killed or become ill (including animals!) by all these toxic goods that flood this country?

The link below is just one port - in New Jersey. How many other ports do these products come through? I get it that customs cannot inspect every product coming in, but it is a serious issue. Why does the US put standards on products made in the US but allow goods into this country made in companies with no standards? Some of the toys registered 1000 times more lead that what is "acceptable" by US standards.
Quote:
A major customs bust in New Jersey led to the seizure of toxic toys headed for stores.

All of the toys were made in China and none of them meet federal standards.

Over the past year, U.S. Customs agents along with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), have seized more than two million toys in Port Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Many of the toys had high levels of lead or other toxic chemicals. Others had faulty wiring which could lead to fires.
Toxic toys seized at New Jersey port

I have to wonder if this is China's way of killing off America. If you don't end up dead, you end up retarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
For years and years China has been flooding the US with toxic items. Drugs from China have very little monitoring (Heperin made in China killed 149 Americans). Ranbaxy in India is investigating their generic Lipitor that was found to have glass particles, and has been removed from the US market.

Why is the US government allowing Americans to be killed or become ill (including animals!) by all these toxic goods that flood this country?

The link below is just one port - in New Jersey. How many other ports do these products come through? I get it that customs cannot inspect every product coming in, but it is a serious issue. Why does the US put standards on products made in the US but allow goods into this country made in companies with no standards? Some of the toys registered 1000 times more lead that what is "acceptable" by US standards.

Toxic toys seized at New Jersey port

I have to wonder if this is China's way of killing off America. If you don't end up dead, you end up retarded.

Well, I recall when we had problems with toys and such made in Japan and then Taiwan (lead paint, etc).

The problem remains the same: the business people of this country are ordering products from other countries, and then do not, themselves, check on the safety of the products when they arrive here.

Let us not forget: China (for example) is not just 'sending' drugs, toys, etc to the USA on their own volition. These are in response to USA orders.

As for the drugs: if you are taking a generic drug, chances are it was made in China. If you are taking an herbal supplement, made in China 99 out of 100 times. The US government actually does have FDA inspectors over in China to inspect the factories, but they are few in number.

Again: If I, a businessman, order a product from China, it is my responsibility to 1) go to China and meet the with factory people who are going to make said product, and make sure it rises to the standards I set, and 2) when the products arrive in the US port, I again check on the safety of the product before distribution for sale, etc.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Lightbulb Merry Toxic Christmas Children

So-called "American" corporations (many that get subsidies from America's taxpayers) just LOVE to shed themselves of American workers so that they can employ communist Chinese instead.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, I recall when we had problems with toys and such made in Japan and then Taiwan (lead paint, etc).

The problem remains the same: the business people of this country are ordering products from other countries, and then do not, themselves, check on the safety of the products when they arrive here.

Let us not forget: China (for example) is not just 'sending' drugs, toys, etc to the USA on their own volition. These are in response to USA orders.

As for the drugs: if you are taking a generic drug, chances are it was made in China. If you are taking an herbal supplement, made in China 99 out of 100 times. The US government actually does have FDA inspectors over in China to inspect the factories, but they are few in number.

Again: If I, a businessman, order a product from China, it is my responsibility to 1) go to China and meet the with factory people who are going to make said product, and make sure it rises to the standards I set, and 2) when the products arrive in the US port, I again check on the safety of the product before distribution for sale, etc.
Do stores that purchase in bulk really have a choice? The US manufactures very little today. Mass production has been shipped abroad.

China uses "showrooms" for inspections. Nothing is produced at these "sites".

Drug ingredients made in China entering market with little oversight - Vitals

As a businessman you are right - stores ordering goods from abroad should have someone at the ports to perform inspections. Customs doesn't have enough people to do it.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Do stores that purchase in bulk really have a choice? The US manufactures very little today. Mass production has been shipped abroad.

China uses "showrooms" for inspections. Nothing is produced at these "sites".

Drug ingredients made in China entering market with little oversight - Vitals

As a businessman you are right - stores ordering goods from abroad should have someone at the ports to perform inspections. Customs doesn't have enough people to do it.

I believe that, yes, US purchasers of Chinese goods do have a choice. If you order it, it is up to you to inspect it. If you order 300,000 widgets, you can 'sample' a number to see if they are kosher (so to speak).

Recall that Customs officials are not responsible to see if a toy has lead paint on it, or that a generic hypertensive drug is actually made of the proper medicines.

I believe it was Consumer's Report that stated, flatly, that, if one can afford it, to not purchase generic drugs but purchase the name brand. I actually do so for my blood pressure and diabetes (i.e., name brand).

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
The consumers are just as culpable as anyone else. I had my family trained from the time they were little to question where something is made for everything going back to the 1980's.

I love it when I hear my kids look at the country of origin and say huh cheap China crap. Then it really is on them if they decide to buy it anyway.

BTW lots of high quality items are made in China. You just have to be an informed consumer to know what you are purchasing.

This extends to all consumables and durable goods where we actually get a choice in our purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies