Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am absolutely positively against denying Jewish people the right to get married even though they are susceptible to many diseases that non-Jews don't get. I am for Marriage Equality. I believe tax paying, voting, adult American citizens should have the right to marry the person they love, even if they are Jewish and and almost exclusively at risk for contracting such lamentable diseases as Tay-Sachs Disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Bloom's Syndrome, Neimann-Pick Disease and a host of others.
I am absolutely positively against marriage of same sexes because they are in danger of damnation and eternal torment.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM

198 posts, read 468,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am absolutely positively against marriage of same sexes because they are in danger of damnation and eternal torment.
Pretty sure no religious text has said anything about gay marriage being a sin, ever. If you honestly think a lack of marriage is going to stop people from having sex (gay or straight), I have some seaside property in KS you might be interested.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
Pretty sure no religious text has said anything about gay marriage being a sin, ever. If you honestly think a lack of marriage is going to stop people from having sex (gay or straight), I have some seaside property in KS you might be interested.
Gay marriage is not even a concept in the Bible because marriage is between man and woman only. Homosexual activity is condemned many times in the Bible.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
So are you. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
really? there you go again...

next
CDC ? NCHHSTP Newsroom ? National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NGMHAAD) 2010 Press Release

Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
Pretty sure no religious text has said anything about gay marriage being a sin, ever.
wrong Talmud Chullin 92B

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 AM

198 posts, read 468,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
wrong Talmud Chullin 92B
I see nothing about gay marriage, only about a prenuptial agreement that outlines a groom's responsibilities to his bride, which is forbidden to be given to a groom. I see this more as a declaration that a man should be responsible for his wife, and never vice versa, not a statement explicitly banning gay marriage.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I hope they side with gay marriage. How does two men or two women getting marred effect anyone else?

I agree, why the heck should i care or any one else care for that matter if a same sex couple wants to live their lives together.
What was the memo as i seem to have missed it..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 AM

335 posts, read 334,720 times
Quote:
Gay marriage is not even a concept in the Bible because marriage is between man and woman only. Homosexual activity is condemned many times in the Bible.
I have seen this point argued both ways, depending on the prejudices one brings to the reading of the Bible.

However, scripture is only "useful" for teaching and so on. Nowhere does the Bible tell us scripture is to be used dogmatically. Nor does the Bible anywhere clearly spell out what is scripture and what isn't.

One clear thing scripture does teach us is that judgement belongs only to God.

A final observation -- if you are correct and the Bible really does condemn all homosexuals, then the Bible is not from God. You measure the tree by the fruit it produces.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm aware that several states allow incest marriages depending on the degrees of distance between the parties. It isn't defined in hard print equally across the board--however, just as those who are enthusiastic and federalizing gay marriage; they should be just as open to federalizing incest marriage to cover all states and degrees so that they can also enjoy the full range of benefits and protection under the US constitution. No?

I'm not talking about what "most people" are in favor of. Everyone is to be protected regardless, right? How can anyone argue that gays should receive "equal protection" under the law but deny incest and polygamists couples the same opportunity should those individuals wish to engage in those types of relationships for their own personal benefit?

I personally think that the left-wing and/or liberals have to accept the entire package deal.

If the argument is that gay marriage is to be constitutionally protected against DOMA, then so should incest and polygamous marriages. The precedent has been set and established. I say make them own the entire lot and agree to it all.
Both incest and polygamy have a long history of abuse of women and children. For example, the vast majority of cases of incest are by heterosexual men sexually abusing children in their own families. Polygamy has also historically involved abuse of young women often in religious sects. Polygamy is also far more complex than the dyadic relationships of straight or gay/lesbian couples.

For these reasons alone, lumping these types of 'relationships' in with gay and lesbian relationships as if they are all the same thing just doesn't make any sense at all. If there are enough consenting adults in non-abusive incestuous or polygamous relationships who want to be able to get married, then they can try to get their own cases through to the Supreme Court and prove that there is no compelling reason why the state should not allow them to marry.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-11-2012 at 02:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies